Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Brakes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/)
-   -   Flynbye Performance S10 hubs with ABS (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/755991-flynbye-performance-s10-hubs.html)

QwkTrip 09-10-2018 06:04 PM

Flynbye Performance S10 hubs with ABS

Will this kit allow me to put a wheel speed sensor on the front of my car?
I assume it's a drop-in replacement for my existing hubs that have been modified for use with C6 Corvette brakes?

http://www.flynbye.com/catalog/i230.html

Drew 09-10-2018 09:27 PM

Re: Flynbye Performance S10 hubs with ABS

Wouldn't the wheel sensor on a S-series truck still be mounted on the spindle? I'd think the hub would be the reluctor wheel, but without the corresponding calibrated mounting location for the sensor, I'm not sure how well it'd work. I'd say email Ed... But yeah...

Are you trying to ABS the speed scrubbers?

QwkTrip 09-10-2018 09:33 PM

I think the speed sensor is mounted to the dust cover.

I'm thinking about traction control using my Holley HP EFI.

Drew 09-10-2018 09:47 PM

Hmm... would TC really need the front input? Durn new fangled, voodoo witchcraft electrons zipping back and forth trying to drive the car better than the driver... Dang ol black magic. Tell you what.

Kinda wish I knew more about next gen tech, kinda.

QwkTrip 09-10-2018 10:42 PM

I want this to be adaptable to road conditions so I would need to know difference between front and rear wheel speed. Honestly, I'm not even sure I can set up something like that in HP EFI software. Maybe I should look at that first.

A basic option right now is that I push a button on the steering wheel and the system looks at a timing retard table by RPM and MAP. Let the button go and it goes back to the usual tune. Not great, but maybe better than me trying to pedal the throttle.

A third option is I look at the rate of change of driveline speed and reduce power if the rate spikes above normal. This is what the Davis Technologies traction control does. I'd have to convert my transmission to a Viper tail housing with a Hall Effect speed sensor if I want to home-brew something like that on my own.

scooter 09-11-2018 07:35 AM

Somehow the Holley setup only uses the driveshaft speed for the traction control. I was looking into it, but It isn't something I need.

QwkTrip 09-11-2018 06:17 PM

Holley traction control is a $600 - $1,000 Davis Technologies unit that is integrated with the Holley ECM. A reluctor ring is clamped to drive shaft yoke.

I can set up a custom table with front and rear speed as the two axis and timing retard populating the table. The location in the table is really just the difference between front and rear speed. Not highly elegant but not too bad either.

Maybe I need to read up how the ProEFI traction control works and see if it sparks ideas.

KyleF 09-12-2018 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 6250034)
Holley traction control is a $600 - $1,000 Davis Technologies unit that is integrated with the Holley ECM. A reluctor ring is clamped to drive shaft yoke.

I can set up a custom table with front and rear speed as the two axis and timing retard populating the table. The location in the table is really just the difference between front and rear speed. Not highly elegant but not too bad either.

Maybe I need to read up how the ProEFI traction control works and see if it sparks ideas.

Where does the EFI system get is Vehicle speed from? It would know the expected RPM of the driveshaft with gearing/RPM input. However, if the tires brake loose the driveshaft and engine RPM all go with wheel speed. It has to be comparing this to another "known" speed. Since I am considering changing my stock EFI over to a system that can be easily tuned (way down the road), I want to see what you find out. Having traction control for is a nice feature for normal driving.

scooter 09-12-2018 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by KyleF (Post 6250116)
Where does the EFI system get is Vehicle speed from? It would know the expected RPM of the driveshaft with gearing/RPM input. However, if the tires brake loose the driveshaft and engine RPM all go with wheel speed. It has to be comparing this to another "known" speed. Since I am considering changing my stock EFI over to a system that can be easily tuned (way down the road), I want to see what you find out. Having traction control for is a nice feature for normal driving.

The Holley system doesn't get a VSS input, not to say you can't add it, but the system doesn't use it

KyleF 09-12-2018 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by scooter (Post 6250127)
The Holley system doesn't get a VSS input, not to say you can't add it, but the system doesn't use it

Interesting, I am looking forward to someone posting up how it uses the driveshaft speed for Traction Control.

QwkTrip 09-12-2018 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by KyleF (Post 6250116)
Having traction control for is a nice feature for normal driving.

I already know how to drive normal. :lol: Everything I'm talking about is "power" traction control to make the car go faster under high throttle. I'm not sure any of these systems are sophisticated enough or tuned for slippery roads.

The Davis Technologies kit (Holley) comes with a speed sensor and a reluctor ring that gets clamped onto the driveshaft yoke. The video below gives you an idea how it works. Don't go past 4:00 min unless you like really annoying sounds.

QwkTrip 09-12-2018 09:35 PM

I'm not terribly interested in that system though. If I'm going to spend $1000 then I'd rather have a set of lightweight hubs that help the car ride and handle better. I already have transmission speed signal fed to the ECM so that gives me rear speed. Adding a front speed sensor will allow me to cobble up my own traction control using custom 2D tables in the Holley software.

I could even do a very basic traction control right now with just my trans speed signal but it would probably over compensate and be jerky.

KyleF 09-13-2018 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by QwkTrip (Post 6250258)
I already know how to drive normal. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqeo48caBxs

I look at it differently. Normal driving is when I leave on all the "electronic helpers" in my Challenger during my normal daily drives. For the unknown on the road like idiot drivers forcing the need for emergency maneuvers. Under more controlled conditions (light traffic late in the evenings, back country roads, or even better at the track), you can push the car closer to the limit and turn off some of the electronics.

Informative video... I am very interested in seeing how this develops. I have seen a lot of new model engine/trans swaps, suspension upgrades, and a lot of other adaptions of modern cars to older cars, but don't see many adapting safety technologies.

QwkTrip 09-28-2018 04:54 PM

I can tell you right now that the biggest hurdle here is getting FlynBye Performance to answer the phone or return a call. This is getting ridiculous.