Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Brakes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/)
-   -   Brake upgrade (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/757444-brake-upgrade.html)

-=Z28=- 11-19-2018 03:15 PM

Brake upgrade

Researching about brake upgrades. Are the spindles the same size, 1le vs std? I know bearings are larger on 1le, but what I'm thinking is can a guy, if the spindles are the same o.d, buy 1le rotors, to cut down and make hubs, and just get the bearings that fit 1le? Or are the spindles themselfs different? Did a search and all I could really find answers for is the bearings are different. I'm trying to avoid having to turn hubs to accept 1le bearing race.

Thanks

Drew 11-20-2018 04:47 AM

Re: Brake upgrade

The spindles are the same part. For the 1LE conversion they just lopped the mounting ears for the iron calipers off the spindles, and drilled/tapped the dust cover bosses to bolt on an adapter that would bolt to the Corvette style caliper carrier.

You can cut down 1LE rotors to use as hubs, but they'll space the wheel further out than the stock small rotors.

Why do you want/need the 1LE bearing? Can't remember ever hearing anyone have a problem with the standard thirdgen bearing. Seems like a bit of a joke anyway, since GM used the same iron calipers and tiny rotors on a ton of different applications, almost all of which weren't performance applications and a lot of the earlier applications used the fabled, mystical "1LE" bearing. My 1980 Malibu 4dr with a 4.4L V8 used the "1LE" bearing. Are you really going to tell me that GM downgraded the bearing for the 82 Camaro? But hey, what do I know?

-=Z28=- 11-20-2018 09:55 AM

Re: Brake upgrade

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6263505)
The spindles are the same part. For the 1LE conversion they just lopped the mounting ears for the iron calipers off the spindles, and drilled/tapped the dust cover bosses to bolt on an adapter that would bolt to the Corvette style caliper carrier.

You can cut down 1LE rotors to use as hubs, but they'll space the wheel further out than the stock small rotors.

Why do you want/need the 1LE bearing? Can't remember ever hearing anyone have a problem with the standard thirdgen bearing. Seems like a bit of a joke anyway, since GM used the same iron calipers and tiny rotors on a ton of different applications, almost all of which weren't performance applications and a lot of the earlier applications used the fabled, mystical "1LE" bearing. My 1980 Malibu 4dr with a 4.4L V8 used the "1LE" bearing. Are you really going to tell me that GM downgraded the bearing for the 82 Camaro? But hey, what do I know?

I agree. Plus the 1le rotor is 50 bucks more. Just kicking around ideas is all really. The thought of having a bigger bearing would be nice but if i go that way i will just turn the hub to accept the larger bearing. Mostlikely will just run the sdt one tho.
thanks for the reply.