Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Brakes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/)
-   -   1LE rear caliper rebuild kits (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/758823-1le-rear-caliper-rebuild.html)

Fullmonte77 02-02-2019 01:57 PM

1LE rear caliper rebuild kits

Does Anyone have part numbers for the seal kits and pistons for 91 1LE rear PBR calipers? I have searched till my head hurt. Starting my rear rebuild and want to rebuild the calipers while I’m at it.

Drew 02-02-2019 02:24 PM

Re: 1LE rear caliper rebuild kits

NLA. Obsolete. Discontinued.

Fullmonte77 02-02-2019 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6279358)
NLA. Obsolete. Discontinued.

Well crap. Guess I will just have to clean them up good and hope for the best. They are still working fine just figured while I was at it I’d replace the seals.

Fullmonte77 02-02-2019 02:57 PM

Wouldn’t the kits listed for HD rear disc be the ones I need?

TTOP350 02-02-2019 03:47 PM

Only 1 rear disc option for 89-97 and they are pretty much the same caliper.

Fullmonte77 02-02-2019 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by TTOP350 (Post 6279370)
Only 1 rear disc option for 89-97 and they are pretty much the same caliper.

That makes sense. From what I have been reading the 1LE had the same caliper but had the bigger 11.6” rotor. Just so much conflicting info out there it makes your head spin.

TTOP350 02-02-2019 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Fullmonte77 (Post 6279372)

That makes sense. From what I have been reading the 1LE had the same caliper but had the bigger 11.6” rotor. Just so much conflicting info out there it makes your head spin.

Same diameter rotor from 89-97. Some where in there they went with a odd offset and cast iron bracket

Drew 02-02-2019 08:52 PM

Just pull up the rear discs for 89-92 on Rock Auto, and that's whats available. The cheap overhaul kits from Autozone that used to be popular, are long gone. Last I looked the individual parts are somewhat available. Don't worry about 1LE. 1LE rear discs are exactly the same as any other 89-92 rear disc. Focus on 89-92, ignore HD, ignore 1LE, because none of those buzzwords have any relevance.

Fullmonte77 02-02-2019 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6279404)
Just pull up the rear discs for 89-92 on Rock Auto, and that's whats available. The cheap overhaul kits from Autozone that used to be d popular, are long gone. Last I looked the individual parts are somewhat available. Don't worry about 1LE. 1LE rear discs are exactly the same as any other 89-92 rear disc. Focus on 89-92, ignore HD, ignore 1LE, because none of those buzzwords have any relevance.

Yeah the more research I did the more I found that out. I just ordered rotors and caliper seal kits from Rockauto. Been reading articles all day.

Drew 02-02-2019 09:31 PM

I gave rebuild options consideration, eventually decided my donor calipers weren't worth messing with. Picked up "rebuilt" calipers from Advance Auto, with a hefty discount code from Retailmenot.com, and some reward points. The rebuilt calipers appeared to be completely new parts. Turned out to be the best option in my case.

https://i.imgur.com/EhgxNiC.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/1pdJzco.jpg

Fullmonte77 02-02-2019 09:39 PM

Mine are still in good shape just want to reseal them while I’m redoing the rear. My car is an 85 but I got a rear from a 91 1LE car for free. Came with everything including brake cables. I’m also upgrading to a zexel torsen posi. It’s nice when you have friends who will help you out.

PurelyPMD 02-03-2019 10:29 AM

Damn Drew, those are nice!

Abubaca 02-03-2019 07:13 PM

I purchased some reman calipers from advance just this AM. ...I pick 'em up Wednesday. I've been a little skeptical as to what I'm gonna get when I open the box. Drew's pics make me feel a little better. I'll post up pics. After core refund it'll only end up being about $60 per caliper.

TORN 02-05-2019 08:45 AM

Those calipers look sweet. I hope I don't need rebuild kits for mine rear PBR. If I may ask can one of you guys measure the length of the bolts that go from the abutment brackets to the backing plates? I lost mine but had extra bolts from the LS1 front brake swap that are the right thread. They look a little long tho.

Thanks in advance.

skinny z 02-05-2019 12:42 PM

A question and not meant to be taunting but why bother with rebuilding when a complete caliper (like Drew's or my own for that matter) are available over the counter?

Fullmonte77 02-05-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by skinny z (Post 6279965)
A question and not meant to be taunting but why bother with rebuilding when a complete caliper (like Drew's or my own for that matter) are available over the counter?

Mine are in very good condition. I'm rebuilding the complete rear and figured I would just replace the seals while I was at it. I would rather pay $8 each for seal kits than $60 each for new calipers.I found the rebuild kits on Rockauto. That's $100 I can put to use somewhere else on the car. If money was no object of course I would just buy reman ones. Money is getting tight at this point in time.

skinny z 02-05-2019 12:55 PM

Understood. And as good an answer as any. I can relate too.

scooter 02-05-2019 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fullmonte77 (Post 6279967)
Mine are in very good condition. I'm rebuilding the complete rear and figured I would just replace the seals while I was at it. I would rather pay $8 each for seal kits than $60 each for new calipers.I found the rebuild kits on Rockauto. That's $100 I can put to use somewhere else on the car. If money was no object of course I would just buy reman ones. Money is getting tight at this point in time.

I would expand on this that some "reman" parts may not be very good quality. If you buy a replacement rear caliper, it may be made in some other country and questionable quality. If I have genuine PBR calipers, they were probably made in Australia and you may not worry about them turning to junk in 100 miles, like some other parts I have purchased.
You may not even be getting the correct part, just start looking for the 12.7:1 steering boxes with the proper stops for the third gen. There is an entire thread going over that issue.

Drew 02-05-2019 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by scooter (Post 6279972)
I would expand on this that some "reman" parts may not be very good quality. If you buy a replacement rear caliper, it may be made in some other country and questionable quality.

Truth. I mostly trust the brake caliper builders, mostly.

The Advance Auto calipers kind of surprised me. I was expecting rebuilt calipers, but what came out of the box looked like new to my eyes. Note that the caliper castings aren't exactly like the originals. They don't have all the markings like the originals, and some of the fins are a touch more squared, no PBR logos. So the question of origin is a fair one. I don't know if they're aftermarket, cast in the US, or an off-shore casting, or if PBR revised the casting. I can't really see the reman industry setting up molds and creating new calipers, but you'd think PBR would put their logo on there. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me on this particular project. If they were going on my Formula, yeah, I'd probably want a nice set of originals. For my Green Firebird, they're perfect.

Like I said, the price was pretty good too. $41/caliper after cores and discounts.

https://i.imgur.com/xycaqp6.jpg

Bit hard to follow, but I got $57 worth of discounts and cashed in reward points. Then I turned in the nasty old calipers for the $80 core charge. Free shipping. Worked out to about $34 per caliper plus tax. :burnout: Advance Auto is a total rip-off at full price, but after using a retailmenot.com discount code, they usually come close to Rock Auto prices. I've had employees growl at me because they say I'm getting parts for less than the employee discounts. :D It's kinda like Harbor Freight.

92RS(real slow) 02-05-2019 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6280044)
Truth. I mostly trust the brake caliper builders, mostly.

The Advance Auto calipers kind of surprised me. I was expecting rebuilt calipers, but what came out of the box looked like new to my eyes. Note that the caliper castings aren't exactly like the originals. They don't have all the markings like the originals, and some of the fins are a touch more squared, no PBR logos. So the question of origin is a fair one. I don't know if they're aftermarket, cast in the US, or an off-shore casting, or if PBR revised the casting. I can't really see the reman industry setting up molds and creating new calipers, but you'd think PBR would put their logo on there. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me on this particular project. If they were going on my Formula, yeah, I'd probably want a nice set of originals. For my Green Firebird, they're perfect.

Like I said, the price was pretty good too. $41/caliper after cores and discounts.

https://i.imgur.com/xycaqp6.jpg

Bit hard to follow, but I got $57 worth of discounts and cashed in reward points. Then I turned in the nasty old calipers for the $80 core charge. Free shipping. Worked out to about $34 per caliper plus tax. :burnout: Advance Auto is a total rip-off at full price, but after using a retailmenot.com discount code, they usually come close to Rock Auto prices. I've had employees growl at me because they say I'm getting parts for less than the employee discounts. :D It's kinda like Harbor Freight.

Can you by chance post a link to these I've tried searching the part number on their sight, but it doesn't come up with any results. Ive tried multiple different years 89-92 and it still doesn't bring these up either.

skinny z 02-05-2019 09:04 PM

If, as posted, the 4th gen PBR rear calipers are shared with the 3rd gen same, what about these?
https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/98-...r-rebuild-kit/
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...f907eea2e2.jpg

scooter 02-06-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by skinny z (Post 6280086)
If, as posted, the 4th gen PBR rear calipers are shared with the 3rd gen same, what about these?
https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/98-...r-rebuild-kit/
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...f907eea2e2.jpg

That's not all the parts that were in the original kits, but that will get you what you need done, the square O ring and the dust boot. You just have to be careful about bending the tabs on the stainless parts to change the boot out. I have the better kits, and I didn't bother with the new stainless parts, it was easy enough to just reuse what I had

Abubaca 02-06-2019 09:20 PM

So slightly off topic, but since we're discussing the calipers in general, I'll point out that I did pick mine up today. Same PN# as Drew mentioned. Both calipers seem to be very well put together. ONE caliper IS in fact a PBR caliper. I opened THAT box first and was initially very happy about it. When I opened the second box, I realized this one wasn't authentic PBR, but WOW....much cleaner casting and machining. Anyhow....quick pic.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...66d1b98b8e.jpg

Drew 02-06-2019 09:37 PM

89-97 mostly the same. 98-up are completely different. 93-97 have the fins over the top of the caliper shaved down.

Originally Posted by 92RS(real slow) (Post 6280063)
Can you by chance post a link to these I've tried searching the part number on their sight, but it doesn't come up with any results. Ive tried multiple different years 89-92 and it still doesn't bring these up either.

Using the link from my order history page, I get a 404 page. Best guess the changed the part number, or stopped selling them. Was Sept 2017 when I put in my order. The calipers they show in pics now aren't even close. But then Advance Auto has gone to **** a few times over the last few decades in their race to the bottom of the barrel.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...e9adcfa865.jpg

Drew 02-06-2019 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Abubaca (Post 6280327)
So slightly off topic, but since we're discussing the calipers in general, I'll point out that I did pick mine up today. Same PN# as Drew mentioned. Both calipers seem to be very well put together. ONE caliper IS in fact a PBR caliper. I opened THAT box first and was initially very happy about it. When I opened the second box, I realized this one wasn't authentic PBR, but WOW....much cleaner casting and machining. Anyhow....quick pic.

Order a couple more sets until you get a matching pair, then return the odd balls. What with their absorption with CarQuest, they reboxed and rebranded a bunch of stuff. I've gotten obviously mismatched left/right rotors, calipers, wheel seals, etc. The most annoying was the front calipers, some of them are Mr T's dream in bling bling bright gold, and other's are stock looking dark gray cast iron. I've had to have them pull another pair off the shelf and open the boxes so I could make a matching pair. I'd almost expect it at this point.

92RS(real slow) 02-06-2019 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6280332)
89-97 mostly the same. 98-up are completely different. 93-97 have the fins over the top of the caliper shaved down.

Using the link from my order history page, I get a 404 page. Best guess the changed the part number, or stopped selling them. Was Sept 2017 when I put in my order. The calipers they show in pics now aren't even close. But then Advance Auto has gone to **** a few times over the last few decades in their race to the bottom of the barrel.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...e9adcfa865.jpg

Thats what I was thinking thank you for checking. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and order one and see what it looks like. I have a crappy set of cores I would like to swap out for some nicer ones instead of wasting the time to rebuild them

Drew 02-06-2019 10:26 PM

No problem. :thumbsup:

Don't forget to save your original bleeders. The correct bleeder screws aren't available anymore, and the ones that are available are too long and don't fit the original dust covers.

https://i.imgur.com/gTNpXL1.jpg

92RS(real slow) 02-08-2019 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6280344)

Don't forget to save your original bleeders. The correct bleeder screws aren't available anymore, and the ones that are available are too long and don't fit the original dust covers.

Well it's a good thing I'm pretty much a hoarder I would have saved them anyways 😅 good to know I wonder why they changed the design

Drew 02-08-2019 05:40 PM

Best guess is the bleeders that are currently available, will thread into a wider variety of calipers. One part (sorta) fits all vs having 6 different parts for 6 different applications. The longer bleeders work, they just aren't designed to work with the captured dust covers that came on PBRs originally. Also since they have a different barbed nipple on the end, you have to have a different hose when you're bleeding all four corners, and the bleeder can get really close to the rear end and suspension.

Makes me wish I'd stocked up on the correct bleeders 10 years ago when they could still be had.

TTOP350 02-08-2019 05:54 PM

Influx of China parts and suppliers undercutting price and quality.

gbeaird 02-11-2019 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6280344)

AND, I suspect, they won't allow the clearance for the left-side caliper. I'm currently diving into replacing the brake MC on our '92, and while checking the bleeder screws on the car I noticed that the left side bleeder screw was VERY close to the spring perch/panhard mount bracket on the differential:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...39915f06f4.jpg

I was going to post a query about this, but found this thread, which seemed close. How does one bleed this caliper on the car? Thanks!

scooter 02-11-2019 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by gbeaird (Post 6281308)
I was going to post a query about this, but found this thread, which seemed close. How does one bleed this caliper on the car? Thanks!

You can let the fluid just spray on the bracket, use a 90* piece of rubber boot to get it to shoot down, or you can unbolt the caliper. If you want to unbolt, you just rotate it down slightly, while keeping it on the rotor, After you're done, you just rotate it back and bolt it up

gbeaird 02-11-2019 01:01 PM

Yeah, I didn't know if there was a standard procedure everyone used. I'd thought about drilling a hole in the bracket, and others had mentioned to cut a piece of wood the thickness of the rotor and roll the caliper out to access the screw, and place the wood between the pads.

scooter 02-11-2019 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by gbeaird (Post 6281343)
Yeah, I didn't know if there was a standard procedure everyone used. I'd thought about drilling a hole in the bracket, and others had mentioned to cut a piece of wood the thickness of the rotor and roll the caliper out to access the screw, and place the wood between the pads.

Drilling a hole there isn't a bad idea either, I thought about that, but I thought you may object. Un-bolting and rotating the caliper is easier, since it's already the correct thickness :lol:

gbeaird 02-11-2019 01:28 PM

Yeah, not fond of drilling. I hadn't noticed the issue before, and we've owned this car for a long time. I've just never had any brake troubles. With it's history, I'm surprised how untouched the brake parts seem. It is a retired TxDPS car, and spent some time road racing before getting into the hands of autocrossers. When we got it, it was my DD for a few years, but until we bought the Firebird, it was also our autocross car, and was lent to friends to autocross when we got the Firebird.

I'll try the 'roll it out a bit' method and see how that works. I'll have to do that anyway to try my new vacuum bleeder.

Now to search for brake hoses, since some of the ones on the car look like they're weeping some.