Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Brakes (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/)
-   -   Corvette calipers, LS1 Camaros rotors/ pads compatibility (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/brakes/786877-corvette-calipers-ls1-camaros.html)

GTA1990 10-29-2023 11:39 AM

Corvette calipers, LS1 Camaros rotors/ pads compatibility

annoying clunk (sounds like metal to metal) when driving over potholes, speed bumps and the like. Car (91 Trans Am WS6) has pretty much all new front end suspension and steering parts and all seems to be torqued correctly. Cannot replicate in driveway by bouncing the front end nor really with the front jacked up (and supported) and knocking the front tyres with a BFH at different positions. But very apparent even with slight bumps in the road.

I have installed 'LS1' front brakes comprising camaro discs, corvette C5 callipers and camaro pads. Have the anti-rattle clips installed and callipers seem solid as do the pads.

Still, might this combination be the source of clunks? Reading around on LS1tech and the the like, seems C5 callipers are a 'done' upgrade for LS1 Camaro/ TA people and they keep Camaro pads and rotors and don't see reports of issues thereafter

Really confused with this one!

1989karr 10-30-2023 05:39 PM

Re: Corvette calipers, LS1 Camaros rotors/ pads compatibility

You sure it's not something like in the engine shifting? Maybe a bad motor mount etc....

I havea car that also only makes noises over bumps etc... from what I can tell its bad lower control arm bushings.

TTOP350 10-31-2023 08:39 PM

Were the swaybar endlinks replaced?

GTA1990 11-01-2023 01:25 AM

Thanks both

the noise did take me to suspension and mounts. All bushes, end links, top mounts, steering joints, are all new and I’ve double checked torque. Also cannot see any clear witness marks as a guide to what’s causing it

springs are indexed correctly. Struts are not new but can’t see them causing it and again no noises when I compress the suspension in the driveway

Engine does not seem to move much on revving / rocking it

exhausting the suspension side of things, I’ve picked up on other threads where braking components were causing rattles

1989karr 11-01-2023 12:53 PM

Maybe its the type of pad you used.? I had some junk pads that made some weird noises. Swapped them out... noise is gone!

RBob 11-02-2023 03:46 PM

Bend the anti-rattle clips to put more pressure on the pads/caliper. BTDT, drove me daffy until I did that.

The issue is that the pads are rattling in the abutments. Need more tension on the anti-rattle _!@#$&*(/_ springs.

RBob.

Edsiroc 11-02-2023 04:45 PM

I had the same issue as you but with the stock calipers. Driving on the street I would get that clunk when I would step on the brakes. At first, I thought it was a ball joint so I took it to a mechanic to get a second opinion and he said nothing was wrong. The noise was only coming from the front driver side. When I swapped out the wheels I to a look at the pads and it seems like it had some low quality pads that were moving a bit while the caliper was still bolted on, similar to what Rbob mentioned above. I swapped out the pads with an extra pair I had and these had no play. Took the car out for a drive and noise went away. 2-3 weeks later the noise came back but its not as often. I looked on TGO and some members complained about the stock brake pads making that clunking noise.

GTA1990 11-03-2023 01:35 AM

Thanks team

have ebc green stuff pads and discs. It’s possible there may be a manufacturing defect with them, but otherwise I understand these to be a decent enough brand and street pads

Yeah I should have time with the car this Sunday and have new guide pins, seals, grease, and rattle clips (for c5 callipers).

will report back

GTA1990 11-05-2023 04:44 AM

so just finished fettling and most of the noise seems gone.

rattle clips seemed loose and the bolts for the Caliper guide pins seemed to have loosened up. The passenger engine mount bolt also was finger tight

So after replacing stuff and torquing down correctly and a quick round the block, I think I’m good

have a longer trip planned next weekend so will firm up then, but so far, pretty relieved!

1989karr 11-08-2023 11:57 AM

if all those things are loose you may want to do an overall checkup of everything to make sure major parts / components are tight.

Was there major work done recently? I canlt imagine why caliper bolts and an engine mount bolt would loosen up like that by itself.