Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Car Audio (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   Opinions on new audio sytem (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/685369-opinions-new-audio-sytem.html)

transaero 07-22-2013 09:59 PM

Opinions on new audio sytem

Hey guys, while I'm redo-ing my interior, I'm putting in a whole new sound system. I already have a subwoofer and amp, which my sister gave to me. The sub is a xtant 12in sub, and looks like this: http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046.
The amp is an American Legacy LA590 800w amp:
The are some audio cables that were already set up when I bought the car running to the trunk, but I have no clue if they work.

Here are my choices for a sound sytem
Radio:
Dash speakers:
Rear speakers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CLYOKK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1L4LS2KNDBWYV

Please note I have almost no knowledge about audio stuff, but I am more than willing to learn.:nod: So let me know what you think, and what else I might need to set this up(cables, adapter...).

Thanks guys.

devestator_x 07-23-2013 07:59 AM

Re: Opinions on new audio sytem

Thats good for a basic starter system, but if you want a little higher sound quality ditch the 6x9s and use these...

Use these to mount them into the 6x9 hole...
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...sche-SA69.html

The sound will be much cleaner from these round speakers rather than those oval ones. I have these exact MB Quart speakers in my sail panels and they sound awesome. Other than that, it looks like a good solid setup. Nothing fancy which is good. When you're just starting it's always best to keep it simple.

transaero 07-23-2013 02:13 PM

I think I will go with those, they look good and sound even better. Thanks. Wuld I need any adapters or mounting hardware to get the radio in?

devestator_x 07-23-2013 02:20 PM

Yes. If you order your head unit from Crutchfield and spend over $100, they give you everything you need to install it. If you only spend $99 or less, the install kit is $15. Head units are probably the ONLY thing I ever buy from them, and its for this one reason only. It's a great savings over buying everything separately.

If you do decide to buy from Amazon or elsewhere, you will need a mounting kit (the head unit will be much smaller than the factory opening) and most likely will also need an antenna adapter. You can also get a factory wire harness adapter, but they arent 100% needed if you know how to cut and splice wires.

jwfirebird 07-23-2013 03:02 PM

sonic electronix gives you that stuff too and seem to me a little better priced

Ruckusz28 07-23-2013 09:00 PM

There's better stuff out there. Pioneer has turned to crap over the past 4 years.

I prefer Sony head units personally.

Ill second the mb quart speakers at that price. Polk are nice too for that range.

plum92_camaro 07-23-2013 10:06 PM

I really like my clarion head unit but mine like every other clarion i've ever seen has issues accepting cd's. LOTS of tuning options.

Make sure you use good wire (Stinger, RF, and knu concepts) that is sized properly and fused properly. Use really good RCAs and don't run the Power wires and the RCAs together.

I have heard good things about Alpine type S and type R, and Infinity speakers. Beware of the ohm load on the infinitys. The 2 ohm load does NOT work with all aftermarket head units as they advertise. I've personally been eyeballing the Rockford Fosgate Power series components for my new system i'm working on.

devestator_x 07-24-2013 09:26 AM

@jw... I didnt realize that Sonic Electronix gave you the install materials too. You will save a few bucks buying from them over Crutchfield.

@plum... do you know if the less expensive Clarions offer the same tuning capabilities as the higher end stuff? I dont use cd's, so that wouldnt bother me, everything I play is off a flash drive. My current Pioneer unit does it's job, but I know there is much better out there. I had some great Pioneer units that had tons of tuning options, this one... not so much. It's good for what it is, but it's nothing special at the same time. I think it's a bit harsh to call it straight up crap, but like I said it's far from high end at the same time. I bought it because I was tight on cash from buying the car and the Jensen cassette deck that came in the car wasnt going to cut it.

plum92_camaro 07-24-2013 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by devestator_x (Post 5605959)
@plum... do you know if the less expensive Clarions offer the same tuning capabilities as the higher end stuff? I dont use cd's, so that wouldnt bother me, everything I play is off a flash drive. My current Pioneer unit does it's job, but I know there is much better out there. I had some great Pioneer units that had tons of tuning options, this one... not so much. It's good for what it is, but it's nothing special at the same time. I think it's a bit harsh to call it straight up crap, but like I said it's far from high end at the same time. I bought it because I was tight on cash from buying the car and the Jensen cassette deck that came in the car wasnt going to cut it.

Sorry, I don't know. You should be able to see the manuals of the different models to view and compare head units. I've heard good things about the pioneer's tuning abilities also but that's all I know about them.

devestator_x 07-24-2013 12:34 PM

My current Pioneer has very basic tuning... "Loud" - Off/Low/High (which enhances low and high frequencies) a 3 band EQ which is at Bass/Mid/High and a range of -6db to +6db on each and you can set the rear preamps to Sub mode which include a 125hz cutoff. But thats about it. My old Pioneer unit had adjustable frequencies for each EQ band along with an adjustable cutoff for the sub output.

I will look up the Clarion manuals to check out the features. I've been buying Pioneers for so long now, havent really given much though to other brands in that dept. Ive had tons of different speaker brands, but always stuck with Pioneer head units. Pretty closed minded of me to be honest.

plum92_camaro 07-24-2013 09:29 PM

My clarion is a DXZ785USB. My favorite feature is I can change the button and display color to ANY color I want!

DD9TransAmGTA 07-24-2013 11:09 PM

I had pioneer 4 way 6x9's in my car and honestly didn't care for them. I replaced them with scosche hd 6x9's (they were only $36 too...) and they sounded 10x better. I have a sony xplod deck which I could care less for but it was free. I was looking into getting a kenwood or clarion. If you listen to songs with a lot of bass make sure to pack the sail panels so they don't rattle so hard.

jwfirebird 07-25-2013 05:38 AM

http://www.clarion.com/us/en/product...392953332.html

the one i have has all sorts of adjustment, separate slope adjustments, 4v rca's, etc. i have a older pro 845mp that has even more. clarions have better more natural sound, IMO