Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Car Audio (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   Metra Speaker wiring harness adapters reversed polarity (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/734384-metra-speaker-wiring-harness.html)

Sdi1000 06-23-2016 09:22 AM

Metra Speaker wiring harness adapters reversed polarity

Just bought front and rear speakers from Crutchfield. Got 2 different wiring harness adapters. Metra 72-4500 and 72-1002. Only difference between them, is reversed polarity. Now, i installed the rear sailpanel speakers first, and used the 72-4500 adapter as pr spec. Used a 9v battery on the old OEM speakers just to check if polarity was right. Looked good.

Well, then of to the front speakers. Did the 9v battery check, and this adapter harness (72-1002) with reversed polarity will also have reversed polarity on the front speakers when installed. Seems to me i should have had 72-4500 adapter harness for the front speakers also. I will have to remove the cords from the adapter socket and switch them. Anyone else got different adapters for front and rear speakers ? Any toughts ?

92GTA 06-23-2016 11:09 AM

Re: Metra Speaker wiring harness adapters reversed polarity

Interesting. I'm using adapters I bought from Crutchfield several years ago and I never thought to check the polarity. Now I'm a bit concerned lol. Crutchfield also sold me a set for the rear and a set for the front which were different P/Ns.

Sdi1000 06-23-2016 11:29 AM

Yeah, i really dont understand why they have a different adapter for the fronts. The connectors is the same on both, just the cords are switched.
Called Crutchfield tech support, but didnt get any real answer other than 72-1002 was listed for the fronts and that was what they always have included (and the 4500 for rears)

Also, Found this spec From the factory. Should be easy for others to verfify the correct polarity.

Front Left (+) = Tan
Front Left (-) = Gray

Front Right (+) = Light Green
Front Left (-) = Dark Green

this also checks out with the 9v battery test, so i ended up switching the cords on the 72-1002 adapter, so its now the same as the 72-4500.

92GTA 06-23-2016 11:31 AM

Wow. Thanks for the info!

I wonder what damage having them reversed on the front for several years has caused? Will it overheat the speaker of the amp in the stereo?

Sdi1000 06-23-2016 11:41 AM

If reversed, they will not play at it fullest. The mebran will pull and not push. As long as both speakers, L & R are reversed, Tech support said it was not a big issue. More of an issue if only one is reversed, as they then will be out of phase (one is pulling and one is pushing)

By the way. I installed Pioneer TS-G4645R front speakers and Kenwood KFC-6965S in the rear. No issues with fitment or installation of the speakers them selfs.
Have a newer Pontiac Cd player with EQ installed. Sound is better than the old OEM speakers, but the CD player is a little short on power for sure. I guess i Need an AMP for the speakers to really get that deep base....

goalieforlife 06-25-2016 09:45 PM

does the power antenna work with aftermarket stereos? I'm assuming it does but the head unit i put in my 91 gta is too long.

fokeyman 06-25-2016 09:52 PM

Typically yes. There's usually a "power antenna" connection. If not, put it on the "remote" wire.

DynoDave43 06-25-2016 10:04 PM

Just used my Crutchfield purchased adapters today, for my front speakers. Polarity was reversed. So glad you posted this. I don't know if I wold have checked this detail or not.

goalieforlife 06-25-2016 10:20 PM

ah ok ... thanks.

Originally Posted by fokeyman (Post 6053112)
Typically yes. There's usually a "power antenna" connection. If not, put it on the "remote" wire.

Firm 03-26-2017 09:37 PM

Reviving an older thread here, but it's good info.
Anyway, I am about to order some new dash speakers for my 85 T/A through Crutchfield and their site is suggesting the 72-1002, which as per above are the wrong polarity. What did you guys do to modify yours to the right polarity? Were you able to pull the wires out of the connector easily and reverse them?

DynoDave43 03-26-2017 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Firm (Post 6122593)
What did you guys do to modify yours to the right polarity? Were you able to pull the wires out of the connector easily and reverse them?

I just crossed them. Made sure the positive wire in the harness ended up feeding the positive terminal on the speaker, regardless of wire color. Looks a little goofy, but no one other than you will ever know once it's together.

Firm 03-26-2017 10:00 PM

Makes sense.
I thought the connectors on the speaker end were different sizes for positive and negative, no?

BOTTLEDZ28 03-27-2017 08:26 AM

Just for poops and giggles, I ran the 72-1002 number through Amazons vehicle fitment guide and it says Does Not Fit my 1991 Camaro.

I also bought front and rear speakers from Crutchfield last year and also got their speaker wiring harnesses. I will now have to pull the dash pad and look into the harness.

Also, If both front and rear plugs are the same then technically, the rear harness (72-4500) should work for the front. If so then its either modify the 72-1002 harness or just buy the 72-4500 for the front AND rear

Drew 03-27-2017 11:34 AM

You mean you guys "buy" adapters? I've always just ripped the terminals off of junk delco speakers and soldered about 3" of the harness supplied with the new speakers to the salvaged connector.

BOTTLEDZ28 03-27-2017 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6122769)
You mean you guys "buy" adapters? I've always just ripped the terminals off of junk delco speakers and soldered about 3" of the harness supplied with the new speakers to the salvaged connector.

The harness is $7. Its aint worth the time and effort to solder. Ill just pay the $7 and plug in my new speakers.

OLDYELLR 04-03-2017 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by 92GTA (Post 6052382)
Wow. Thanks for the info!

I wonder what damage having them reversed on the front for several years has caused? Will it overheat the speaker of the amp in the stereo?

No harm will be done, but the sound would be lousy because the speakers would be out of phase with each other and cancel each other out.

92GTA 04-03-2017 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by OLDYELLR (Post 6124764)
No harm will be done, but the sound would be lousy because the speakers would be out of phase with each other and cancel each other out.

Gotcha, thanks fro the info! I'm still learning about audio systems.

John in RI 04-08-2017 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6122769)

+1

While I use adapters when I can or when I need to, I've never "bought" one in a package - ever. Always just spliced the proper connector on the end (and polarity was never an issue ! ) ;)

:driving:

SirReveller 04-22-2018 10:22 PM

Same boat over in my cart on Crutchfield. I suppose I’ll just call and say sub in a second free 4500 over the auto-selected free 1002 for the fronts.

Way to go on this thread fellas!