Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Car Audio (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   What size speaker are you installing in the sail panel? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/car-audio/760468-what-size-speaker-you.html)

RunawayRadio 04-16-2019 11:28 AM

What size speaker are you installing in the sail panel?

I've seen a lot of threads over the years on TGO about car audio in third gens, But i've been asking myself lately what people are planning to or have installed more recently in the panels of their cars and the popularity of each.

I'm making up some replacement speaker plates for modern speakers and it would help to know where the the demand is. :)

• A coaxial speaker has the tweeter mounted in the center of the speaker.
  • A component speaker has a separately mounted tweeter
    • a 2 way has two speakers total
    • a 3 way has three speakers total

Drew 04-16-2019 08:14 PM

Re: What's Everyone Installing in Their Sail Panels?

If decent 6x9s didn't perpetually drop from the sky... Like if I didn't have 3 sets of nice Pioneer's on the shelf, and I were buying new ****, I'd stick a decent 6.5" round speaker back there and call it good. Seems like oval speakers are always a compromise. A round speaker should sound better.

Really neither the sail panels or the dash is really [i[]ideal[/i] but within the limitations of our cars....

8t2 z-chev 04-16-2019 09:15 PM

I have 6x9s in the sails,but installed 6.5s lower door-way better sound than the dash 4x6s :)

Mongoose 04-16-2019 09:43 PM

I'm running the woofer from a 6.75" JBL GTO component set in each side and it's working great. I may add the tweeter once I blow it apart to do some sound dampening and reconfiguring the setup.

RunawayRadio 04-17-2019 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Mongoose (Post 6295877)
I'm running the woofer from a 6.75" JBL GTO component set in each side and it's working great. I may add the tweeter once I blow it apart to do some sound dampening and reconfiguring the setup.

Are those the GTO 600c's? Never heard them, but they seem like a solid set with a 3 way extension option to boot.

Originally Posted by Drew (Post 6295840)
If decent 6x9s didn't perpetually drop from the sky... Like if I didn't have 3 sets of nice Pioneer's on the shelf, and I were buying new ****, I'd stick a decent 6.5" round speaker back there and call it good. Seems like oval speakers are always a compromise. A round speaker should sound better.

Sounds like a terrible problem to have :). You're right that an oval speaker is a compromise.....you get the bass, but lose out almost everywhere else. Decent round components always win out, even if the location isn't the best. Appreciate the feedback.

Originally Posted by 8t2 z-chev (Post 6295860)
I have 6x9s in the sails,but installed 6.5s lower door-way better sound than the dash 4x6s

Couldn't agree more; door and kickplate installs are miles ahead of the dash sets. Definitely a missed opportunity by GM at the time. Thanks for the input!

Mongoose 04-17-2019 03:59 PM

[QUOTE=RunawayRadio;6295961]Are those the GTO 600c's? Never heard them, but they seem like a solid set with a 3 way extension option to boot.

Mine are the 609c's, took a chance when Crutchfield had them on clearance and had never heard JBL's outside of home audio. I got lucky and they sound great.

sonjaab 04-18-2019 05:43 PM

I just put these in my 84. 6x9 3-way
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Boss-Audi...akers/11968854

I have these 3 1/2 in. JBLs in the dash.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/JBL-Club-...dsn_dis_ov_enp

I have a factory Delco am/fm eq. /CD in the dash pushing them.

Inside looks good/clean/orig. with the new headliner, speaker covers in place.
Seats are all original striped fabric. No rips or tears either! Factory carpet.

Still looks good !

(cant post pics at the moment)

BadSS 04-18-2019 08:01 PM

Nothing wrong with oval speakers - they're as only as good as their design,,, same as a round speaker.

Good read for anyone interested and includes folks complementary of oval speakers like:
Andy Wehmeyer - former designer & engineer with JBL / Harmon Kardon that is now president of Audio Frog
Eric Stevens - Founder of Image Dynamics

"Myth: Oval/"odd" shaped speakers can't sound as good as round speakers"

https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum...-speakers.html

As far as what I've installed in the sails, I used to install sound systems on the side for years, beginning around 1979. I think my favorite install in an F-body was a set of 8" KEF woofers and tweeters ordered as "replacements" to home speakers in the sails. It didn't take that much work to get them in there either.

RunawayRadio 04-24-2019 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by BadSS (Post 6296314)
Some good points that are worth reading

I read through that whole discussion. Half my stuff is image dynamics and it's neat to read some well reasoned arguments from both sides.

Worthwhile read for anyone checking out this thread and debating on the speaker design they have in mind. TL;DR for those that don't - well designed speakers will always win out no matter the shape.

RunawayRadio 04-24-2019 12:28 PM

Great input guys. I figured there would be a lot of 6x9 coaxials, but I wasn't expecting to see so many 6x9 components out in the wild. Looks like there's a few out there. :)

Keep up the voting!

Tootie Pang 04-24-2019 03:47 PM

Coaxials are the best choice. 6.5" vs 6 x 9 I'm not sure. I think there are more 6.5" choices out there and that size provides better options for higher end separates. 6x9's are kind of specific to cars. No home audio gear runs 6x9 drivers. That's for a reason.

pognoot 04-29-2019 03:33 PM

I'm sure this has been asked 100 times on here before, but who makes a simple-to-install, good quality drop-in 6x9 replacement for the sail panel speakers?

RunawayRadio 04-30-2019 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by pognoot (Post 6298635)
I'm sure this has been asked 100 times on here before, but who makes a simple-to-install, good quality drop-in 6x9 replacement for the sail panel speakers?

The search bar is your friend on that one :). The Infinity Reference line is a good place to start and Infinity Kappa if you need more power handling. Both can be had for a decent price.

82'berlinetta 05-28-2019 12:22 AM

Re: What size speaker are you installing in the sail panel?

hey everybody i've been looking for speakers to replace my blown factory sets in my 82'. i'm not an audiophile so i dont know much. after weeks of looking i think i found a set of 6x9s i like for the back can anybody give me their opinion on them? Also is it a problem if i'm using them with my stock head unit and no amp?

JBL GTO 9 Series 300W 6-Inch X 9-Inch 3-Way Speakers-Pair-Black

sonjaab 05-28-2019 09:03 AM

Re: What size speaker are you installing in the sail panel?

Prob. will work good with the factory deck!