Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Carburetors (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carburetors/)
-   -   If I swap the engine, does it mean I have to get fuel injectors? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carburetors/756332-if-i-swap-engine.html)

ChelseaHere 09-27-2018 12:11 AM

If I swap the engine, does it mean I have to get fuel injectors?

Hi everyone. New camaro owner here! I've got an 86 Camaro. The guy who owned it before me had built the engine. I didn't like that, so i wanted to buy a new engine for it. However I'm curious... If I get a new engine that doesn't have a carb... Do I have to get fuel injectors? Would that even be possible on my Camaro? Or would I have to mod it in ordor to get it to work?

jstadmud 09-27-2018 09:01 AM

Re: If I swap the engine, does it mean I have to get fuel injectors?

Hello, welcome to TGO, and congrats on purchasing your first third gen Camaro! Looking at the two pics you posted in the other thread, its looks to me that your car is a Berlinetta coupe. You can check your car's VIN# at this site http://www.nastyz28.com/camaro/camaro86.html to get the breakdown of what your Camaro was originally equipped with. Maybe you could tell us what engine (v-6, v-8) is there now (or pictures) and what you are thinking to replace it with. If the factory wiring harness and/or vacuum system has been removed, it could be fairly expensive to go back to an original engine configuration. A list of modifications from the previous owner would be priceless in your situation. Your location may also affect your options under the hood, as per emissions restrictions in your area. Please post more pics, it will make it easier to determine a solution for you.

Abubaca 10-03-2018 10:26 AM

Welcome to TGO.
What about the engine do you not like? Is it too aggressive, or do you simply not like the carb? ....you can certainly purchase a NEW engine with a carb that would be pretty streetable, have good manners, be decent on gas etc. etc. ....are you specifically looking for fuel injection, or returning the car to stock form?

ChelseaHere 10-03-2018 10:57 AM

I kinda wanted to modernize it. I understand carburetors are harder to keep clean .. I also have an issue with keeping the car on when starting it up. I thought it was the fuel pump but maybe the carb needs to be cleaned out. Thoughts?

Abubaca 10-03-2018 11:08 AM

I would make sure the carb is properly tuned. A professional I am not! -so I won't offer suggestions and tips on how to do that! ....but just like fuel injection, if it's not properly set up, it won't run right.

1986BANDIT 10-03-2018 09:03 PM

so ,installing a nice modern fuel injected v8 is going to cost in the neighborhood of $5000-$10,000.......are you prepared for this expense?
you will need a fuel injected engine with all required accessories,updated fuel system and all lines,updated motor mounts,possible updated cooling system
exhaust and a complete wiring harness supporting the new engine as well as an ecm to control it all.this is a massive undertaking and is anything but cheap.

if you have a carburated 305 in your car right now it is what the berlinnetas came with anyway(or a v6),i owned one for 10 years and it was the best car ive ever owned.
i would suggest you spend a little time and money getting what you have running properly,you may need a carb rebuild and possibly a tune up.

1986BANDIT 10-03-2018 09:05 PM

you have a lot of reading to do to understand what you have ,what other third gen cars come with and what each system is in your car,how it works and how to repair it.

GeneralDisorder 10-04-2018 05:44 PM

If you want to "modernize" it, then changing from a carb to fuel injection is the way to go. But you need not change the engine for this. Look into the FiTech systems:

https://fitechefi.com

These drop in place of the carb, and are self learning. Very little understanding is required and I'm sure they offer tech support, etc.

GD

zed-028 10-04-2018 07:01 PM

I've often looked at heading down the EFI path with the holley sniper series. They are a little more user friendly than the FiTech units. But to be brutally honest - thats a lot of fuel money ...

Carb'd V8's will always be a bit harder to start, its the nature of the beast, however they are also suprisingly reliable as long as you keep them clean and tuned the same as anything else. Get the numbers off your carb, buy a kit for it, watch some rebuild videos by a guy called tyler and then get your hands dirty. If youve got cash to splash then go the EFI route.