Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Carburetors (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carburetors/)
-   -   Vin H carbureted fuel sending unit (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/carburetors/760453-vin-h-carbureted-fuel.html)

Cdawg9413 04-15-2019 09:35 PM

Vin H carbureted fuel sending unit

I知 looking for any information to help. I知 looking for a replacement unit and the only one I can find is a refurbished unit from Hawks for just under $400 this seem a little ridiculous... https://www.hawksmotorsports.com/fue...-sending-unit/
there痴 the link to the one I found. I知 not looking to spend that on a unit considering I知 just trying to get buy with the 5.0L while I save money to finish building my 4.8 L When I make the switch I値l want to go with an in take EFI pump.

John in RI 04-16-2019 02:01 AM

Re: Vin H carbureted fuel sending unit

I've never done this myself - never needed to - but have pulled several sending units from cars converted from EFI to carb; just buy the fuel injected sending unit your going to need later & convert it for use with a carb.

Measure the distance from the top of the Float rheostat metal housing to the very bottom of the fuel "sock"

Remove the pump from the sending unit; pull the pump adapter from the sending unit. ( "adapter" is the oval shaped thing the top of the pump gets pushed into )

Cut a piece of FUEL LINE hose about 1 foot long. Install & secure it it on the sending unit. Cut the bottom of the fuel line to = the same length as the bottom of the sock from the original pump set-up. ( from top of top of the Float rheostat housing to the bottom of the sock.) Leave the pump mounting bracket intact,... no reason to remove it and leaving it in place will allow a electric pump to be mounted back on it if/when needed. )

FIRMLY SECURE a fuel sock onto the bottom of the FUEL LINE hose. Carb sending unit socks and FI socks are different; FI sock mounts horizontally and carb sock mounts vertically; either will work fine - just be sure that i whatever is used sits exactly the same distance from the top of top of the Float rheostat housing to the bottom of the sock.

Once the parts are re-assembled, re-measure from top of float housing to the bottom of the sock to be sure the measurement is the same. (if hose is too long and it will hit the bottom of the tank - too short and you will "run out of fuel" before the tank is actually empty. )

A carb sending unit is basically the same as a fuel injected sending unit,... the "neck" ( where the fuel pump mounts ) is simply shorter to accommodate the space needed for the electric pump and the plug has 1 more wire to supply power to the pump. I wish I could find a picture,.... I have pulled this type of "hacker" set-up from more than 1 car in the past and it works just fine as long as the hose is cut to the right length and the parts are well secured. Should be perfect for a temporary solution for you; and a foot of fuel line is MUCH cheaper than a $400 replacement sending unit !

P.S. None of the 3-4 of these things I've ever pulled from a tank had the sock re-installed. Myself; I would not use a sending unit without a sock on the end of the line.

:driving:

Cdawg9413 04-16-2019 07:35 AM

Re: Vin H carbureted fuel sending unit

Originally Posted by John in RI (Post 6295628)
I've never done this myself - never needed to - but have pulled several sending units from cars converted from EFI to carb; just buy the fuel injected sending unit your going to need later & convert it for use with a carb.

Measure the distance from the top of the Float rheostat metal housing to the very bottom of the fuel "sock"

Remove the pump from the sending unit; pull the pump adapter from the sending unit. ( "adapter" is the oval shaped thing the top of the pump gets pushed into )

Cut a piece of FUEL LINE hose about 1 foot long. Install & secure it it on the sending unit. Cut the bottom of the fuel line to = the same length as the bottom of the sock from the original pump set-up. ( from top of top of the Float rheostat housing to the bottom of the sock.) Leave the pump mounting bracket intact,... no reason to remove it and leaving it in place will allow a electric pump to be mounted back on it if/when needed. )

FIRMLY SECURE a fuel sock onto the bottom of the FUEL LINE hose. Carb sending unit socks and FI socks are different; FI sock mounts horizontally and carb sock mounts vertically; either will work fine - just be sure that i whatever is used sits exactly the same distance from the top of top of the Float rheostat housing to the bottom of the sock.

Once the parts are re-assembled, re-measure from top of float housing to the bottom of the sock to be sure the measurement is the same. (if hose is too long and it will hit the bottom of the tank - too short and you will "run out of fuel" before the tank is actually empty. )

A carb sending unit is basically the same as a fuel injected sending unit,... the "neck" ( where the fuel pump mounts ) is simply shorter to accommodate the space needed for the electric pump and the plug has 1 more wire to supply power to the pump. I wish I could find a picture,.... I have pulled this type of "hacker" set-up from more than 1 car in the past and it works just fine as long as the hose is cut to the right length and the parts are well secured. Should be perfect for a temporary solution for you; and a foot of fuel line is MUCH cheaper than a $400 replacement sending unit !

P.S. None of the 3-4 of these things I've ever pulled from a tank had the sock re-installed. Myself; I would not use a sending unit without a sock on the end of the line.

:driving:

Thanks that helps a lot I値l try this out!