Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Convertibles (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/convertibles/)
-   -   How supportive (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/convertibles/219413-how-supportive.html)

Ovrclck350 01-18-2004 12:06 AM

How supportive

1 Attachment(s)
Is this brace? Can I cut it to make more room for a speaker? It's not THAT important for me to cut it, but it'd make the spacers I'm having made need to be less thick.

Ragtop89 01-18-2004 07:35 AM

Are you talking about the brace behind the rear sail panels in the backseat?
The previous owner of my car butchered the sail panels to mount a set of 6x9s.
From the exterior it didn't look bad.
One day the passenger side speaker started to short so I tore the car apart to check the wiring and found a mess.
The magnet on the speaker was in direct contact with that brace and it was messing the speaker up.

My quick fix?
I wrapped the speaker magnet in electrical tape for now.
I tried to find replacement panels so I could just put a set of nice 6"s back in the car but they are hard to find and VERY expensive.

I think TGR had a set at one point and they were $150 each.

fredo92 01-18-2004 01:57 PM

Well, I don't recommend cutting any of the braces out of a convertible....they don't have enough as it is. What's wrong with putting an oversized 6" speaker in there like the factory does? I'm running a set of boston pro's oversized 6" speakers and they sound great.

Ovrclck350 01-18-2004 02:13 PM

Originally posted by fredo92
Well, I don't recommend cutting any of the braces out of a convertible....they don't have enough as it is. What's wrong with putting an oversized 6" speaker in there like the factory does? I'm running a set of boston pro's oversized 6" speakers and they sound great.
My sail panels are hacked up by a previous owner too. I have a really good idea of how to fix it, I just need to find someone who can make me a spacer.

02Red from lastgen made me a set, but he made them the wrong size.

mavis_1 01-18-2004 03:27 PM

Dont worry about making spacers just buy them. I bought some from a local stereo shop for $12 dollars. I think they shimmed them out around 1 3/4" Someone hacked my panels to. So I used the spacers and a new set of speakers and everything looks great and functions now.

Ovrclck350 01-18-2004 04:16 PM

Originally posted by mavis_1
Dont worry about making spacers just buy them. I bought some from a local stereo shop for $12 dollars. I think they shimmed them out around 1 3/4" Someone hacked my panels to. So I used the spacers and a new set of speakers and everything looks great and functions now.
Can you post a picture of the ones you bought????

Speedgraphic 01-19-2004 10:43 AM

My sail panels were hacked up too by a previous owner. When i went to mount my 6x9's I made a spacer out of 3/4 in plywood and painted them black. Later when I had the interior re-done I had the upholstery guy cover the spacers with the same cloth he used on the seats. Looks like it came that way stock...