Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Convertibles (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/convertibles/)
-   -   Power Top Convertibles (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/convertibles/312091-power-top-convertibles.html)

billsfirebird 07-27-2005 12:43 PM

Power Top Convertibles

My brother just sold some camaro parts to a guy who has an 84 Camaro Convertible (non-two seater kind), with a power top. He told my bro that he's been researching this. I've never heard or have seen a power top thirdgen. It's got me curious now....

Anyone have any info on who may have supplied these tops and mechanisms aftermarket for the convertible conversions?

thanks,

-bill

Cadillac 07-27-2005 02:50 PM

Re: Power Top Convertibles

Originally posted by billsfirebird
I've never heard or have seen a power top thirdgen. It's got me curious now....

Same here. I'd love to see pics of this "car".

:D

89rsragtop 07-27-2005 04:21 PM

I don't think ASC made a power top for our cars.

smokefan 07-27-2005 04:54 PM

i just purchased a 88 vert and i want to convert it to electric top also

89rsragtop 07-27-2005 05:13 PM

Originally posted by smokefan
i just purchased a 88 vert and i want to convert it to electric top also
That would be one he!! of a project. I think your best bet would be start by stripping a wrecked Benz or SSR for the parts. Then MAJOR fab work, to make it all work.

MrDude_1 07-27-2005 05:40 PM

with how our tops operate, its damn near impossible.

you would have to redo the entire thing...... oh, and eliminate the hard tonneu cover... have it exposed like most other cars

smokefan 07-27-2005 11:24 PM

well that just sucks than cause i want to keep it as much stock as possible. hopefully one day it will be worth something.

billsfirebird 07-28-2005 07:49 AM

So I take it noone has heard of a power top thirdgen before?

-bill

galletti 07-28-2005 09:35 AM

Actually, this has been discussed here before. Apparently ASC never made the power convertible top, but some other company did indeed do it, with a hard tonneau cover. Also, the Cadillac Allante and the Audi A4 convertibles both have power top systems very similar to ours except they are power tops. The conversion is probably possible but definitely difficult. I am currently waiting from another member to send me pictures of his convertible setup (which he says is a power top to see what's possible.

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...hreadid=233560

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...ight=power+top

https://www.thirdgen.org/techbb2/sho...ight=power+top

DJCobol 07-28-2005 03:31 PM

Originally posted by MrDude_1
with how our tops operate, its damn near impossible.

you would have to redo the entire thing...... oh, and eliminate the hard tonneu cover... have it exposed like most other cars

No you wouldn't. Saabs have a hard tonneau that operates much like our tops, except its all power. I was next to a 9-3 at a stoplight a few months back when I saw the lady driving it hold a button down and watched as the back of the top lifted up, up went the tonneau, down came the top, and then the tonneau closed.

Would it be cool? Hell yes. Would it be worth the cost and the fabrication needed? Maybe, if you are good with stuff like that. I couldn't fabricate my way out of a wet paper bag, so it looks like I get to stick with a manual top. Doesnt really bother me though. Its less stuff to break.

RArnold 08-10-2005 04:42 PM

power top vert

Yeah I got an '84 ragtop with power top.....havent had a chance to take and post any pics, yet...been a rough @#$*&%@ summer,but plan to get pics soon.....I have been acquiring upgrade parts and did pull the cover off the old girl, will try this week or next to post pics of mechanism and hunt around for any clues as to who built the mystery machine.......

RArnold 08-10-2005 04:47 PM

power top

Furthermore, I have tried to contact ASC by e-mail to see if they did any power conversions, ....never got a reply....the original story was it went to California to be converted......even tried calling the original dealer but they said they had no records, and a couple older dudes still employed there remember the cars but didnt know where they were sent for conversion........

RArnold 08-10-2005 09:00 PM

ok theres been a breakthrough !!!! I have managed to find a tag on thr door frame that says MATRIX,,,, has date and a s/n,,,,,,is Matrix still around? any contact information ??? any information at all????? hope to get pics this weekend.........

drop-top IROC 08-11-2005 11:09 AM

Originally posted by DJCobol
No you wouldn't. Saabs have a hard tonneau that operates much like our tops, except its all power.

Volvo's too... :)

rover 08-12-2005 12:01 PM

I have an 84 matrix 3 convertible w/ power top. I replied to a post to a reply a while ago and people wanted some pics so I'll try to get some next week, I've been oot all summer. I'll get some shots of the hydrualic pump (just quit working, hopefully a relay) and the trunk. If its a matrix 3 there should be a decal (M3) on the ground effects (assuming its a z28) in front of the back tire and on the ashtray, also info in the door jam.
The company was Matrix 3 located in Fresno, Ca. I think it has long since went out of business. My dad purchased the car brand new in 84, there were about 15 of them at a chevy dealership in Denver. The dealer said they were using mercedes tops, but none match up.
Is yours a Z28? HO? I'll be sure to get some pics up to compare.

billsfirebird 08-12-2005 01:08 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is a 1982 convertible bird. I read through the description and wouldn't you know it, it's a power top.....

The top mechanism is electrically operated and I have used it to raise and lower the top.
-bill

RArnold 08-12-2005 04:24 PM

AHA -- so, there is such a thing.........my car doesnt have any Z28 markings, I havent studied the codes yet to find out what it was before conversion, havent studied the motor/pump mechanism to see who/what its from.......hope to hear from power-heads........

RArnold 08-12-2005 04:32 PM

billsfirebird

hey billsfirebird -- look for PM

Waco 05-23-2017 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by billsfirebird (Post 2455800)
So I take it noone has heard of a power top thirdgen before?

-bill

I have a power top convertible matrix3 conversion

vinny R 05-28-2017 09:30 AM

I can see where the Matrix conversion could be power. Correct me if I am wrong but I a pretty sure those early non factory conversions did not have a tanaeu cover. The top just folded down and had a vinyl cover for it. Is this the case in your guys cars with the power tops? Without the tanaeu it would be real easy to make it power. I think ASC was the beginning of the "factory" convertibles again and once they introduced the tanaeu I think it made it cost prohibited to produce the mechanisms to make it happen. Our verts were expensive for the day, my 91 was 24K sticker. The technology was there, in the 60's Lincoln made a vert that folded into the trunk. God help you if it broke!:burnout:

Tibo 05-28-2017 09:44 AM

As was said earlier (years ago in fact) the tops could be made to be powered. Many cars have powered tops, my father's 96 Cobra convertible has a powered top. I don't see anyway to make the Tonneau cover power so then why even bother? You would still have to get out for to close the hard tonneau cover.

kaydoe 05-28-2017 04:47 PM

Have you seen the 6th gen Camaro power top?

vinny R 05-30-2017 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by kaydoe (Post 6140313)
Have you seen the 6th gen Camaro power top?

Yes I have, my friend owns one and it is slick! Have you seen the cost of that car? :burnout: