Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Convertibles (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/convertibles/)
-   -   Top repair (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/convertibles/365841-top-repair.html)

88ragtop 05-19-2006 03:25 PM

Top repair

Has anyone tried to patch small holes in the convertible material? I have a couple of small holes on the side of my top about the size of a dime. I don't want them to get any bigger so any ideas of what could be used to get me by until I can replace the top.

gcgarner 05-19-2006 08:46 PM

Duct tape?

No, seriously ... just get a new top. My vert has some tattered areas in the top (none are dime-sized, though) and the guy that had the car before me tried to fix them with a silicone or epoxy or something, and now it looks like my top is covered in spots of tree sap. It turned the canvas darker (wet looking) where he applied it. I'm saving up for a new top, and I can't wait to get it!

I can't think of anything that will fix those holes without looking very ghetto. Sorry.

Oh, one more thing ... warm weather is here ... why would you put your top up anyway unless it's raining?

BlueZee28 05-19-2006 11:13 PM

i agree that you should just bite the bullet and buy a new top. topsonline.com has VERY NICE high quality cloth tops with GLASS windows, like what i have on my car, for $400 :nod:

if you only patch the holes, they will look very cheesy. sure it will fix your problem, but it's not going to look good at all. just my $0.02

lonsal 05-20-2006 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by 88ragtop
Has anyone tried to patch small holes in the convertible material? I have a couple of small holes on the side of my top about the size of a dime. I don't want them to get any bigger so any ideas of what could be used to get me by until I can replace the top.

I had a small hole at a wear point on the drivers side repaired professionally at a local auto upholstry shop. I had them sew in a new plastic rear window at the same time. They repaired the hole from the inside while the top was off the frame. As I recall the total was around $100 for both the hole repair and new window. That was over 10 years ago, so todays price would be more. Whether it is worth the money to repair it vs replace the top would depend on the general condition of the rest of the top.

If you're dead-set on doing it yourself you might want to pull off the top and use iron-on denim patch material from the inside.

Lon

AssCloud 05-20-2006 07:20 AM

Buy a new top small holes now are big holes later.

Droptop_Z 05-20-2006 11:32 PM

Ive got a brand new top for sale. If anyone is interested let me know.

igotoxs 05-23-2006 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by gcgarner
Duct tape?

No, seriously ... just get a new top. My vert has some tattered areas in the top (none are dime-sized, though) and the guy that had the car before me tried to fix them with a silicone or epoxy or something, and now it looks like my top is covered in spots of tree sap. It turned the canvas darker (wet looking) where he applied it. I'm saving up for a new top, and I can't wait to get it!

I can't think of anything that will fix those holes without looking very ghetto. Sorry.

Oh, one more thing ... warm weather is here ... why would you put your top up anyway unless it's raining?

Go to the fabric store - iron on patches will work in a pinch, until you can afford a new top.