Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Cooling (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/)
-   -   Replacing R4 with v5 or v7 compressor (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/244613-replacing-r4-v5-v7.html)

C20T/A 06-06-2004 10:55 PM

Replacing R4 with v5 or v7 compressor

Has anyone done this or even thought of this other than me.

If I am not the first I would like to see pic's and details on the modification.

I am most interested in how to make the bracket to mount the compressor without tearing up belts or interfering with the valvetrain.

sjgrimsley 04-12-2011 10:53 PM

Re: Replacing R4 with v5 or v7 compressor

I found a youtube video where a guy adapted a Harrison V5 compressor to an old Nova. He had a 305 in it with the f-body serpentine brackets. I messaged him about how he did this and he said he just looked for a V5 compressor that the mounting ears were close to the R4 mounting holes and made his own brackets to fit. The variable displacement segment of the compressor is all built in. So if you can get it mounted and the pulley lined up and get +12v to the clutch, you're good to go. I will be doing this to my 'bird this summer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5hkk...el_video_title

Chuy85 11-13-2014 05:29 PM

Hello my Friend, I've just installed an OLD V5 compressor from a '93 cavalier to my '92 suburban, and Works great! Even with the r12 control valve, measure 42 - 43 °F at the vents 90-95° outside temp, pretty much difference tan R4 Noisy machine. I will post later some pics to show you can adapt the V5 compressor, probably the 70% less drag on idle and you just put a little gas when light turns on Green and you can feel immediatly the confort. 2-4 minutes to cool down whole inside suburban cabin. (Dual evaporators)

paulo57509 11-15-2014 01:46 PM

If you're going to a V5 compressor, I'd recommend getting a NEW unit. It might be wise to go with a new unit regardless of compressor type. I've gone through three V5 rebuilds (DIY store brands and NAPA) that didn't last more than two years before getting noisy.

Noise = black death soon follows

Fast355 11-17-2014 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chuy85 (Post 5842088)
Hello my Friend, I've just installed an OLD V5 compressor from a '93 cavalier to my '92 suburban, and Works great! Even with the r12 control valve, measure 42 - 43 °F at the vents 90-95° outside temp, pretty much difference tan R4 Noisy machine. I will post later some pics to show you can adapt the V5 compressor, probably the 70% less drag on idle and you just put a little gas when light turns on Green and you can feel immediatly the confort. 2-4 minutes to cool down whole inside suburban cabin. (Dual evaporators)

V5 does not have enough displacement to run Dual Evaporators for long term without cooking itself to death. I would recomeend a Vortec serpentine setup and aftermarket Valeo/Sanyo/Sanden style Vortec HT6 replacement. Have one on my Express van and it will FREEZE you out of the van on a 105*F day. I am also using a Duramax mechanical fan and a heavy duty fan clutch.

Ozz1967 11-21-2014 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Fast355 (Post 5843563)
V5 does not have enough displacement to run Dual Evaporators for long term without cooking itself to death. I would recomeend a Vortec serpentine setup and aftermarket Valeo/Sanyo/Sanden style Vortec HT6 replacement. Have one on my Express van and it will FREEZE you out of the van on a 105*F day. I am also using a Duramax mechanical fan and a heavy duty fan clutch.

Will the vortech accessories bolt up to our cars?

Fast355 11-21-2014 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Ozz1967 (Post 5845139)
Will the vortech accessories bolt up to our cars?

That is a negative, but my response was to a guy with a 92 suburban attempting to run the V5 in place of his R4.

Fast355 11-21-2014 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The accessory setup is tall and narrow and will not clear a TPI and might even hit the hood.

Attachment 330501

Ozz1967 11-21-2014 09:30 AM

I'm running a carb, CC Qjet, so I have some room in the front that TPI doesn't (for ducting), but the hood clearnace is still an issue. How much taller than our stock set up is it?

Fast355 11-21-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ozz1967 (Post 5845155)
I'm running a carb, CC Qjet, so I have some room in the front that TPI doesn't (for ducting), but the hood clearnace is still an issue. How much taller than our stock set up is it?

The compressor and alternator mount over the valve cover. Overall height including the a/c manifold hose is proably 7" over the valve cover. I could get a measurement from my brothers Tahoe if you want.

Ozz1967 11-21-2014 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Fast355 (Post 5845156)
The compressor and alternator mount over the valve cover. Overall height including the a/c manifold hose is proably 7" over the valve cover. I could get a measurement from my brothers Tahoe if you want.

If you want, but that doesn't even sound like it will pass an eyeball test for fitment. I'm going to measure how tall mine is over the valve cover tonight when I get home from work. Of course having it "fit" is different than getting it installed and "fitted". Lots of hose massaging to get it to work.