Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Cooling (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/)
-   -   Radiator plug help (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/479269-radiator-plug-help.html)

North 06-07-2008 11:55 PM

Radiator plug help

hey guys!

just got a new motor in my car! Everything is great, but the mechanic told me he was concerned with a plug on my radiator that looked worn and needed replacement before it goes and I blow up a new motor.

It is a rubber female plug about 1" wide and 1.5" long that is clamped onto an outlet on the radiator about 4 inches underneath the radiator cap facing the engine. I believe its an after market aluminum radiator, but not sure what brand it is if it isn't stock.
I think the outlet is for other car applications on different vehicles but doesn't need to be hooked up on my car.

I have looked all over the web and these forums for a similar situation or where I can buy something like this.

I'll try to post pics in a few days of this.

Any help would be appreciated!
thanks

BretD 88GTA 06-11-2008 05:29 PM

Re: Radiator plug help

Originally Posted by North (Post 3783621)
It is a rubber female plug about 1" wide and 1.5" long that is clamped onto an outlet on the radiator about 4 inches underneath the radiator cap facing the engine. I believe its an after market aluminum radiator, but not sure what brand it is if it isn't stock.

The radiator you have sounds like the Northern Pro radiator. I have one in my car.

That outlet is for the heater hose. Rather than port the hose off the water pump, GM decided on the 3rd gen. cars to add an outlet to the radiator.

I'm not aware of any type of after market plug to cap it off. My radiator shipped with the same rubber cap & clamp yours has.

North 06-14-2008 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by BretD 88GTA (Post 3788184)
The radiator you have sounds like the Northern Pro radiator. I have one in my car.

That outlet is for the heater hose. Rather than port the hose off the water pump, GM decided on the 3rd gen. cars to add an outlet to the radiator.

I'm not aware of any type of after market plug to cap it off. My radiator shipped with the same rubber cap & clamp yours has.

The guy I bought the car from a year a ago previously disconnected the heater core because it leaked. I plan on replacing it soon this summer.

My question is by Heater Hose do you mean it is supposed to connect to the hose at the firewall to the heater core?

If so it will simply solve my problem when I do put a new core in, other wise I may have to make a cap somehow...

North 06-14-2008 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is a picture of it...
Attachment 158793
anyone have any guess where i can get it at/

donaldw 06-19-2008 12:06 AM

go to the auto parts store and get a package of bypass caps it has all the sizes u need..it like four bucks...they are rubber caps....oreilly auto parts has them

jimdutro 07-04-2008 06:09 PM

If all else fails, maybe contact the mfg. of the radiator and order a new plug?