Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Cooling (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/)
-   -   Coolant temp sensor and coolant temp switch/fan switch (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/606101-coolant-temp-sensor-coolant.html)

Wolfman720 03-06-2011 07:53 PM

Coolant temp sensor and coolant temp switch/fan switch

The coolant temp sensor is right by the thermostat, right? Where is the coolant temp switch/fan switch?

evilemokid94 03-06-2011 07:59 PM

Re: Coolant temp sensor and coolant temp switch/fan switch

driver side head, right behind the AC compressor

camaronewbie 03-06-2011 08:06 PM

Nope - not there - at least not on V8.

Coolant Temp SENSOR (for the computer) - thermostat location
Coolant Temp SENDER (for the gauge) - driver head between #1 & #3 spark plug
Fan Switch - pass side head between #6 & #8 spark plug

Wolfman720 03-06-2011 08:24 PM

Cool. Thanks. :-)

camaronewbie 03-06-2011 08:44 PM

Now - if you have dual fans, only the secondary fan is controlled by the fan switch, the primary fan is controlled by the ECM. So, if you are having primary fan issues, might be bad fan relay. If having secondary fan issues, might be bad relay for that fan or the fan switch.

Oh - secondary fan should also come on with A/C - so if you have A/C still in tact and pressurized, start car when cold (so you know the ECM won't turn on the primary fan) , turn on A/C, and see which fan runs with A/C on - then you know which is which.

Wolfman720 03-06-2011 08:47 PM

Its a big single fan (14 inch).

Cwaterboy1 03-12-2011 07:56 AM

How the heck do yo get to the Fan switch on the 305, from underneath? I hope not....I am a big guy and to get the car off the ground would be a chore.

torque_is_good 03-12-2011 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cwaterboy1 (Post 4852227)
How the heck do yo get to the Fan switch on the 305, from underneath? I hope not....I am a big guy and to get the car off the ground would be a chore.

you can get to it from underneath and you can also fit a wrench between the primary pipes of your headers. You do have headers don't you?

If not, underneath you go

Cwaterboy1 03-12-2011 10:58 AM

I do not have headers......so underneath I go. Or just take it the nearest shop and have them lift it up and do it. I hate paying for the labor when I can do it. Just getting underneath will be a chore.

I did check the fan and it does not come on when the temperature rises but does come on when I run the AC. Right now my AC doesn't work so I never run it. Am I replacing the right part?

ROCFATHER 03-12-2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by camaronewbie (Post 4845902)
Now - if you have dual fans, only the secondary fan is controlled by the fan switch, the primary fan is controlled by the ECM. So, if you are having primary fan issues, might be bad fan relay. If having secondary fan issues, might be bad relay for that fan or the fan switch.

Oh - secondary fan should also come on with A/C - so if you have A/C still in tact and pressurized, start car when cold (so you know the ECM won't turn on the primary fan) , turn on A/C, and see which fan runs with A/C on - then you know which is which.

I have dual fans and when my car gets hot the fan on the right- drivers side will go on but the one on the left passenger side NEVER comes on??? Is that considered the secondary fan thats controlled by the switch?

Cwaterboy1 03-12-2011 01:11 PM

Found that the pigtail with the plastic connector to the switch was missing so the wire was just hanging there. Connected a new pigtail from Oreilys $10.00 and all is good with overheating.

JimRockford 03-13-2011 02:03 PM

Does anyone here know what temperature the fan switch should be activating the fan at?
My car runs cool on the freeway but warms up to around 220 and a little higher in stop and go traffic and the fan doesn't seem to come on until over 220.

I have called all the local auto parts stores and they have the fan switch in stock but they can't tell me what temperatures it works on.

When can I find one that will turn the fan on sooner?

camaronewbie 03-13-2011 05:06 PM

220 is normal operating temp for these cars. Alternative switch part numbers can be found by searching "fan switch" and look for a thread that reads alternatives in the title.

JimRockford 03-13-2011 07:44 PM

Got it "Camaronewbie"!
Neihoff DR137x is the cooler fan switch and turns on at 204 degrees.
The only problem is none of the local auto parts stores can get it!

Also my car has the 305 TBI v8 with single electric fan,where is the fan switch located on the single fan cars?

tubbytownsend13 03-13-2011 07:46 PM

heres my dillemma, 87 iroc 5.7 tpi wire is there for the secondary fan for the fan switch...problem is i believe someone put a plug in the head where the switch was.....should i just take plug out and put switch there?

henryd3 03-13-2011 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by JimRockford (Post 4853719)
Got it "Camaronewbie"!
Neihoff DR137x is the cooler fan switch and turns on at 204 degrees.
The only problem is none of the local auto parts stores can get it!

Also my car has the 305 TBI v8 with single electric fan,where is the fan switch located on the single fan cars?

Fan switch is in the head between the #6 and #8 spark plug

henryd3 03-13-2011 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by JimRockford (Post 4853352)
Does anyone here know what temperature the fan switch should be activating the fan at?
My car runs cool on the freeway but warms up to around 220 and a little higher in stop and go traffic and the fan doesn't seem to come on until over 220.

I have called all the local auto parts stores and they have the fan switch in stock but they can't tell me what temperatures it works on.

When can I find one that will turn the fan on sooner?

Read this stuff
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cool...ernatives.html

Dave Beardsley 07-13-2013 04:12 PM

Does anyone know where the fan switch is on my 92 firebird v6.

mikey8494 11-15-2013 05:39 PM

im intereted in knowing about the v6 too

csobusa 03-22-2015 07:18 AM

on the v6- passenger side head rear buried by wire harness has a funny snout type connector

1991firechicken 03-30-2015 03:30 PM

Looking for advice. I have a 91 Firebird 305 tbi. It has been hard to start for years. The culprit wound up being a bad coolant temp sensor (next to thermostat). The guy at the parts store told me to wrench it all the way into the hole. Several other people have said that it is not supposed to go all the way in. I am hoping that I haven't damaged the intake. Any thoughts/opinions on this?

mshackelford 05-06-2015 10:42 PM

OK we now that i know where to find the sensors and which ones do what. Do any of you all know how a person would go about testing them with a voltmeter? I know im not into blowing cash on parts that are not needed. Id rather be buying ones that are needed.

89 formula TPI 05-11-2015 09:53 PM

Does my AC have to be charged for the secondary fan to build enough pressure to spin? AC works just blows warm

Matteston1993 06-25-2018 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by camaronewbie (Post 4845852)
Nope - not there - at least not on V8.

Coolant Temp SENSOR (for the computer) - thermostat location
Coolant Temp SENDER (for the gauge) - driver head between #1 & #3 spark plug
Fan Switch - pass side head between #6 & #8 spark plug

If your temperature sending unit in the driver's side head isn't working will that throw the motor off and cause slight back firing at loss of power

Tuned Performance 06-25-2018 05:10 PM

Dead thread, on a v8 the drivers side sensor is for the temperature gauge.

rmartindc 07-12-2018 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cwaterboy1 (Post 4852435)
Found that the pigtail with the plastic connector to the switch was missing so the wire was just hanging there. Connected a new pigtail from Oreilys $10.00 and all is good with overheating.

Do you have a part number for this? I think mine might have melted and is therefore shot. Thanks!

sofakingdom 07-12-2018 06:29 AM

That post was from 7 years ago.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gm+fan+switch+pigtail :D Go ahead, you're smart, you can DO THIS.

W.E.G. 06-09-2019 05:36 PM

———-