Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Cooling (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/)
-   -   Sheet metal radiator hold down (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/723491-sheet-metal-radiator-hold.html)

Clean87TA 08-20-2015 09:27 AM

Sheet metal radiator hold down

Any body here make a sheet metal radiator hold down. I'm in need of one or if some here can make me one I can pay them thanks!

nhra-trans-am 08-22-2015 05:15 AM

Re: Sheet metal radiator hold down

I can take some pics of the one I had made for my car to give you some ideas if you'd like.

D85Z28 08-23-2015 12:48 PM

I've been looking for one also, would love to see pics and know where I'd be possible to have one made. Ron Davis Radiators makes them (they quoted me $160.00 plus shipping) and they look nice on their website, but I'm still looking for other options. I remember reading some older threads here about a member that used to make them. Not sure if he still does...still trying to find those older threads again...

Clean87TA 08-23-2015 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by nhra-trans-am (Post 5953607)
I can take some pics of the one I had made for my car to give you some ideas if you'd like.

PM sent!

nhra-trans-am 08-24-2015 06:25 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics
Attachment 324304
Attachment 324305
Attachment 324306

D85Z28 08-24-2015 12:07 PM

Those are great pics, nice LS motor too! I guess they don't seem that difficult to make...and I can see based on those pics that you really need to have one made specific to the radiator...and they're all a little different. I live in the Central Florida area and I'm sure there has to be a shop around here that can fabricate one...probably for less than the Ron Davis piece ($160 plus shipping). I think finding the actual metal will be the hard part...I've just never had to think about where to get a piece of aluminum...Thanks for the info. Very nice / clean install you have there!

nhra-trans-am 08-27-2015 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by D85Z28 (Post 5954325)
Those are great pics, nice LS motor too! I guess they don't seem that difficult to make...and I can see based on those pics that you really need to have one made specific to the radiator...and they're all a little different. I live in the Central Florida area and I'm sure there has to be a shop around here that can fabricate one...probably for less than the Ron Davis piece ($160 plus shipping). I think finding the actual metal will be the hard part...I've just never had to think about where to get a piece of aluminum...Thanks for the info. Very nice / clean install you have there!

Thanks. I had it made locally for $100 to fit with a 4th gen radiator and dual fans.

Ron U.S.M.C. 08-29-2015 09:09 PM

If you just need a extension for the stock cover here's what I did.
You can see the plastic piece just in front of the stock one. This way you can keep the hose support and any other extra that the stock piece provides.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...908/HAQV6S.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...911/eZCMsv.jpg

novaderrik 08-31-2015 01:33 AM

is there some reason why a stock piece won't work?

Ron U.S.M.C. 09-01-2015 12:53 AM

I don't know about the OP but in my case I have a large 16in "backup" pusher fan mounted in front of the condenser. It moved the top of the radiator out 1 inch.
That's just one of the pieces added to my cooling system. Its far from stock.

D85Z28 09-01-2015 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Ron U.S.M.C. (Post 5956215)
If you just need a extension for the stock cover here's what I did.
You can see the plastic piece just in front of the stock one. This way you can keep the hose support and any other extra that the stock piece provides.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...908/HAQV6S.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/102...911/eZCMsv.jpg

That is a really great idea and it looks super clean...thanks!

D85Z28 09-01-2015 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by novaderrik (Post 5956580)
is there some reason why a stock piece won't work?

For mine, I'm going to an aftermarket aluminum rad that's a bit wider than stock with a dual fan / aluminum shroud set up, I've seen guys make the stock piece work with some tweaking...but my stock piece is cracked / broken anyway so I'm looking at all the options

formula_novice 09-01-2015 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by D85Z28 (Post 5956969)
For mine, I'm going to an aftermarket aluminum rad that's a bit wider than stock with a dual fan / aluminum shroud set up, I've seen guys make the stock piece work with some tweaking...but my stock piece is cracked / broken anyway so I'm looking at all the options

For my latest build, I too needed a wider cover to hold an aftermarket aluminum radiator. I fabbed this one up and also made some mounts for the stock fans. It's not fancy at all but it works great :)

D85Z28 09-01-2015 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by formula_novice (Post 5957027)
For my latest build, I too needed a wider cover to hold an aftermarket aluminum radiator. I fabbed this one up and also made some mounts for the stock fans. It's not fancy at all but it works great :)

That looks real nice! That's exactly what I'm going for with mine...I think I see the Champion logo on your radiator cap...I've got the Champion 3-row...hopefully mine will turn out as nice as yours, I'll probably wind up making a template and having one fabbed up somewhere

formula_novice 09-01-2015 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by D85Z28 (Post 5957052)
That looks real nice! That's exactly what I'm going for with mine...I think I see the Champion logo on your radiator cap...I've got the Champion 3-row...hopefully mine will turn out as nice as yours, I'll probably wind up making a template and having one fabbed up somewhere

Thanks! I thought about extending/modifying the original cover but it was pretty busted up.

I am using a Champion 3-row aluminum radiator... it's a really nice part... but it didn't fit well in my car. I had to cut the bottom radiator support, lower it, and re-weld it. I've read on here that some others had similar issues. Just a heads-up in case you haven't tried test-fitting yet :)

Tibo 09-04-2015 10:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made mine for $30. It was even the first time I welded Aluminum and as a whole once installed it looks fantastic.
Attachment 324042
Attachment 324043

mmadden55 09-04-2015 10:37 PM

You can buy 18 guage sheet metal 6 X 24 or 8 x 24 or 12 by 24 at Lowes or Home Depot for less than $20, and you can fab your bends with a couple of 2 x4s, and drill your bolt holes. A hacksaw works great for cutting to length.

PS the inside of your car looks nice Ron!

D85Z28 09-04-2015 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by mmadden55 (Post 5958408)
You can buy 18 guage sheet metal 6 X 24 or 8 x 24 or 12 by 24 at Lowes or Home Depot for less than $20, and you can fab your bends with a couple of 2 x4s, and drill your bolt holes. A hacksaw works great for cutting to length.

PS the inside of your car looks nice Ron!

Great information! I'm for sure willing to try that for the money

mmadden55 09-04-2015 11:23 PM

Get some cheap poster paper at wally world and make a template so you can do all your cutting and fitting on paper, figure out where your folds go etc. Then use a marker to transfer it to your metal.