Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Cooling (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/)
-   -   Heater control valve elimination (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/cooling/749566-heater-control-valve-elimination.html)

Flyingvman 12-05-2017 07:58 PM

Heater control valve elimination

Hello folks. I have a 92 base firebird with 5.0 TBI and T5 tranny. The HCV has been eliminated by PO . Im having overheating problems when driving but none at idle. This is thd current cooling system set up . Top radiator hose to water neck on intake manifold.Bottom of radiator to watet pump. 3/4 heater hose from heater core to radiatot 5/8 heater hose to rear of intake manifold. IS THIS CORRECT. Please help . thsnk you
​​​​​​

henryd3 12-05-2017 08:30 PM

Re: Heater control valve elimination

Can't help there, but have a couple of the OEM solid ones slightly used and not the flimsy newer ones you get these days if you want to return it to the stock setup
LMK if you have any interest
Henry

Thirdgen89GTA 12-05-2017 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Flyingvman (Post 6187414)
Hello folks. I have a 92 base firebird with 5.0 TBI and T5 tranny. The HCV has been eliminated by PO . Im having overheating problems when driving but none at idle. This is thd current cooling system set up . Top radiator hose to water neck on intake manifold.Bottom of radiator to watet pump. 3/4 heater hose from heater core to radiatot 5/8 heater hose to rear of intake manifold. IS THIS CORRECT. Please help . thsnk you
​​​​​​

I removed my heater hose long ago and never had an overheating issue due to that.

Ask yourself this.

How could removing the diverter valve cause an overheat issue?

When closed coolant flow is diverted away from heater core. When open coolant flows through the heater core.

Removing the valve causes coolant to flow through the heater core at all times, technically increasing the heat dissipation rate of the cooling system vs a closed diverter valve.

Lets dissect your opening post.

You state that you have overheating issues when driving, but not at idle or when stopped.

The most common cause or this is the lack of an air-dam to direct airflow over the radiator. The cooling fans aren't sufficient to cool the engine when driving by their lonesome. The air dam directs airflow through the radiator at all times the car is actually moving.

The Airdam mounts below the radiator, causing a high pressure area in front of the radiator which forces air through it.

Flyingvman 12-06-2017 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Thirdgen89GTA (Post 6187443)
I removed my heater hose long ago and never had an overheating issue due to that.

Ask yourself this.

How could removing the diverter valve cause an overheat issue?

When closed coolant flow is diverted away from heater core. When open coolant flows through the heater core.

Removing the valve causes coolant to flow through the heater core at all times, technically increasing the heat dissipation rate of the cooling system vs a closed diverter valve.

Lets dissect your opening post.

You state that you have overheating issues when driving, but not at idle or when stopped.

The most common cause or this is the lack of an air-dam to direct airflow over the radiator. The cooling fans aren't sufficient to cool the engine when driving by their lonesome. The air dam directs airflow through the radiator at all times the car is actually moving.

The Airdam mounts below the radiator, causing a high pressure area in front of the radiator which forces air through it.

I checked for the air damn and there ismt one tbete. Going to search for a air damn tjat fits a 92 fitebird with ground effects. This bird jas tje Aero body. Package from factoty. Thamk you very much for this information..

Thirdgen89GTA 12-06-2017 09:43 AM

If the air dam is missing, then putting it back will solve your overheating problems guaranteed. It is a HUGE problem on these older cars.

People damage them curbs all the time. Hawks should have one. If not. I'm sure you can find them on Ebay too.

sonjaab 12-06-2017 07:45 PM

thirdgenranch.com has the air d*m set u need .

Used but cheap!

Thats where I got mine.............