Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DFI and ECM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-ecm/)
-   -   Mega squirt (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-ecm/221181-mega-squirt.html)

Tibo 01-29-2004 09:21 AM

Mega squirt

OK, I just read the new "Car Craft" and found out about the New "Mega Squirt" fuel injection system. Has anyody else read this article or had experience with the system? It sounds pretty good for a modified engine, something I am considering buying.

RBob 01-29-2004 03:21 PM

Re: Mega squirt

Originally posted by Tibo
OK, I just read the new "Car Craft" and found out about the New "Mega Squirt" fuel injection system. Has anyody else read this article or had experience with the system? It sounds pretty good for a modified engine, something I am considering buying.
I've seen the article and know a little about the system. The one real downside I see is that it doesn't control ignition timing. Other then that it is a nice introductory system. Easy to use and easy to setup. Lots of folks using it on all kinds of vehicles.

RBob.

Grumpy 01-29-2004 05:21 PM

Re: Mega squirt

Goggling should turn up a couple lists for it, and the Ultra MegaSquirt, and there maybe an ignition version, now.

dennis6 01-31-2004 12:47 AM

I tinkered with assembly code before and almost made something like this with a micropic cpu for a school project. I am glad someone else did the research :).

I like the idea and since its programmed in assembly code it shouldn't be to hard to modfiy to your needs. I am almost sold on the idea.

a73camaro 01-31-2004 10:12 AM

Re: Re: Mega squirt

Originally posted by RBob
I've seen the article and know a little about the system. The one real downside I see is that it doesn't control ignition timing. Other then that it is a nice introductory system. Easy to use and easy to setup. Lots of folks using it on all kinds of vehicles.

RBob.

Oh contrair mon frere

MegaSquirt EDIS

dennis6 01-31-2004 01:52 PM

Even better...
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirtnspark/

Tibo 02-01-2004 07:27 PM

This seems like the perfect system for someone who is going to add TPI on thier car. It desn't controll spark or knock, my MSD 6AL system will though. You can buy a diagnostic screen that can tell you what it is doing and when there is a problem. It also seems like it would be easier to tune then regular TPI because you are able to tune it (ECM) while you are driving the car. I guess I am wondering what your opinions are. Would it be better/easier to use?

RBob 02-02-2004 09:24 AM

This seems like the perfect system for someone who is going to add TPI on thier car. It desn't controll spark or knock, my MSD 6AL system will though. You can buy a diagnostic screen that can tell you what it is doing and when there is a problem. It also seems like it would be easier to tune then regular TPI because you are able to tune it (ECM) while you are driving the car. I guess I am wondering what your opinions are. Would it be better/easier to use?
Better/easier to use then the stock ECM with a TPI system? Depends. If the swap is a straight forward pull a TPI motor from one vehicle and drop it into another, the stock ECM and calibration could be moved over enbloc.

If the plan is to add a TPI setup (as you are interested in doing) then it will be easier to use the MegaSquirt (MS). The reason is the tuning. The MS is a minimal functionality system compared to OEM ECMs. This in itself will make it easier to tune. Even has nifty PC software to help out.

The MS won't run the emissions air pump, EGR and stuff like that. But if not needed then no problem.

RBob.

Tibo 02-02-2004 02:41 PM

Emissons is not a problem. I am removing the Air pump and re-wiring the rest that I can not do without. I am wondering now "What do I do with the Idle Air Control sensor in the throttle body? :confused:

RBob 02-02-2004 04:57 PM

Emissons is not a problem. I am removing the Air pump and re-wiring the rest that I can not do without. I am wondering now "What do I do with the Idle Air Control sensor in the throttle body? :confused:
Sounds like the MS will work out nicely for you. As for the IAC just extend the pintle out until it blocks off the orfice. Then set the idle via the throttle blade screw.

RBob.

dennis6 02-04-2004 02:05 AM

MegaSquirtNSpark does indeed control knock, advance and retard.

Tibo 02-04-2004 07:37 PM

"What do I do with the Idle Air Control sensor in the throttle body? :confused:
I now found out that there are provisions in the system to control an Idle Air Control sensor, It can be turned on or off manually or by the ECM.

I went ahead and jumped on the Mega Squirt band wagon. I decided to buy it because of ease of tunability and price. For close to the same price to do prom burning I was able to buy the Mega Squirt.

I purchased the Mega View (VFD Screen) along with it so I can see what it is scanning/doing and when an error pops up. I am very excited about this. With the total of kits, parts, sensors, shipping and handling the whole price came out to be $340.00. I could have gotten away with the $200.00 price tag but I wanted almost every one of the cool gadgets they had. I look forwar to telling everyone how the Mega Squirt works out for me. I don't know, but am I the first one on the boards to try this?

As I said earlier emissions are not a problem but I still have one wiring question: Is the Air Conditioner's wires only going to the ECM so that the fans will turn on when the A/C is on? Will the Vehicle Speed Sensor and VATS give me any trouble in the swap or are they totally contained within the stock ECM? Am I missing any other important wires that go to the ECM that I should know about?

Thanks, Tibo.
:):D

TechSmurf 02-06-2004 03:18 AM

I don't see enough features in the MegaSquirt to go for it just yet.. waiting on UltraMegaSquirt.. that VFD deal is pretty nifty, though.. definitely high on the functional gadget scale.

Grumpy 02-07-2004 01:04 PM

Be sure to carry a spare something that the car will run on, if you do any traveling.

No self diagnostics, and no ready source for finding a replacement when traveling, or having to build two nixes it im my book.

Grumpy 02-07-2004 01:04 PM

Be sure to carry a spare something that the car will run on, if you do any traveling.

No self diagnostics, and no ready source for finding a replacement when traveling, or having to build two nixes it im my book.