Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DFI and ECM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-ecm/)
-   -   Want to convert to OBDII (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-ecm/657993-want-convert-obdii.html)

87IROCZCamro 07-25-2012 02:46 PM

Want to convert to OBDII

I have had to many problems tuning OBDI and finding shops around me to do my car so I want to convert to OBDII. Does anyone know how much and how hard it is to do this and what I will need?

Thanks,
Kevin

Apeiron 07-25-2012 03:02 PM

Re: Want to convert to OBDII

You need the entire powertrain and all related sensors from an OBDII car.

watajob 07-25-2012 03:28 PM

I'm not sure about that. Justin89Formy has obdII on a minirammed gen1 SBC in his car. It was/still is quite a project but can be done.

Apeiron 07-25-2012 04:33 PM

You can do a frankenstein setup, but if you've got the skill to do that you probably don't have to ask the question.

Six_Shooter 07-25-2012 04:40 PM

What makes you think that using OBD2 will be any easier than using OBD1?

87IROCZCamro 07-25-2012 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter (Post 5336644)
What makes you think that using OBD2 will be any easier than using OBD1?

I have had problems people tuning it and people I talk to in my area will not touch my car because its OBD1 and that it takes to long to do.I dont really want to do this but I have a new engine in the car and I cant get 100% out of it.

igotta355z28 07-25-2012 11:57 PM

Like aperion said, step 1 for obd2 swap. Buy an LS1 fourth gen camaro donor car, step 2. swap complete drivetrain and harness...Step 3, have shops still not want to touch your car cause its a frankenstien that they dont want to get stuck messing with....

your best bet is just find a shop willing to work on your car now, they are out there just keep looking...

Six_Shooter 07-26-2012 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by 87IROCZCamro (Post 5337048)
I have had problems people tuning it and people I talk to in my area will not touch my car because its OBD1 and that it takes to long to do.I dont really want to do this but I have a new engine in the car and I cant get 100% out of it.

Sounds like a bunch of rubbish to me.

I tune OBD1 vehicles and have few issues doing so, most issues I have are related to specific ECMs, that I have not got a handle on tuning, otherwise I love tuning OBD1 ECMs.

If I absolutely had to ditch the OBD1 ECM, I would likely look at something aftermarket. Tuning OBD2 can get expensive, since there is a cost per vehicle, which to me is just a money grab, and sounds like that might be influencing people in your area, they want to get their money back out of their OBD2 tuning overhead.

Have you tried tuning it yourself?

What issues are you having?

Have you consulted the other areas on this site that could help with your tuning issues?

You might find that after swapping to an OBD2 PCM, the places around you may still not want to touch your car, because now "it's a conversion" and they "can't verify everything is correct." I've see it before.

If you really just can't tune it yourself, find out what places around you WILL tune in YOUR car, and use that.

86White_T/A305 07-26-2012 12:31 AM

Head on over to the tpi section and read the sticky about tpi with obd2 conversion.That will point you in the direction your looking for.I know a few guys here that converted their lt1 cars to ls1 pcms for better tuning and were very satisfied.The problem is alot of tuning shops just dont have the tools/patience to tune tpi cars and burn chips.

After a conversion like this,if you got the pcm with your conversion parts from a vendor..it will have a base tune with the proper firing order.Once the car is running then you can take it to a local speed shop and have it dyno tuned.Its a simple matter of them data logging the first pull and make adjustments from there as if they were tuning any other lsx pcm.

The main question is if its worth the hassle to do the conversion in the first place.I dont know what the kit costs but ask the guys at eficonnection and see what they say.They have come a long way with making these kits work very well and made tuning sbc/ltx motors alot more efficient and thus picking up hidden power and greater mpg.

abray1 07-26-2012 01:17 AM

Ed Wright at fastchip.com can do about any tuning you want on about anything.

87IROCZCamro 07-26-2012 03:40 PM

You have all made good points and I honestly just need help getting this car running right more than anything. Anything that can get the car running good is fine by me. I do not want to tune the car myself. I have called numerous shops around me and all say no to me.

jmd 08-07-2012 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by 87IROCZCamro (Post 5337627)
You have all made good points and I honestly just need help getting this car running right more than anything. Anything that can get the car running good is fine by me. I do not want to tune the car myself. I have called numerous shops around me and all say no to me.

An absolute in cars is the older an automotive system gets, the fewer mechanics are familiar with it.

This is accelerating, just as technology does more and more onboard functions in vehicles.

If you're dead-set on the car making gains via tuning on your car as-is, you will benefit from learning a metric tonne of information in the DIY PROM section on this forum or the DIY-EFI site. I say this having done this in the past. It's deep at first.

The 2002 van/vette PCM adapted to the Gen I SBC is the way to go if you want something most places will be able to tune and be serviceable long-term. There are zero aftermarket companies that spend as much in research and development as an OEM.

I don't even want to burn a chip for my car when I get it's body work done and back on the road. I want to go to a later powertrain. We all have our underlying desires and dislikes about the work on our cars. So you're not alone, but at least part of the progress on your car is going to be on your shoulders so get used to it.

klause83z28 08-15-2012 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by 87IROCZCamro (Post 5337627)

Efi Connection that a kit that does it for you. I remember reading an article about it a few years ago and still seems like a good idea for gen1 owners. All the system does is turn the dist into a cam sensor, and you use a modified reluctor ring set up from a vortec.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...n/viewall.html

Street Lethal 08-15-2012 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by 87IROCZCamro
You have all made good points and I honestly just need help getting this car running right more than anything. Anything that can get the car running good is fine by me. I do not want to tune the car myself. I have called numerous shops around me and all say no to me...

You can ask Eric and see if he will tune it for you, as he mostly does tunes for Grand Nationals/TTA's as well as Typhoon's/Syclones, but he is one of the best with OBD1. He's over in Salem. Give him a call, he just might be able to help you out...

http://www.turbotweak.com