Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DFI and ECM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-ecm/)
-   -   Replacement Ecm for 86 transam (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/dfi-ecm/757739-replacement-ecm-86-transam.html)

Moonlightlady79 12-05-2018 11:55 PM

Replacement Ecm for 86 transam

i need to replace my Ecm in my 1986 transam 305 V8 5.0L F vin series. The Cardone we have in there now never really worked from day one. Problem is AC Delco part 88999194 is not made anymore and they do not carry any Ecm for my car anymore.

The car code is 1227165. We are hopefully looking to an Ecm already programmed but are finding no luck. Any thoughts on where to get one? At this point brand is not important, just want a preprogrammed Ecm that will work for our car. P.S. I live in the Seattle area if anyone knows of anyone in that area as well.

Drew 12-06-2018 04:04 AM

Re: Replacement Ecm for 86 transam

The program is burned onto a chip in the ECM on these cars. There's a little cover with 2 screws, remove it and you'll see a blue thinga-majig. Flip down the white clips at either end and the blue PROM will come right out. Snap it into the slot in your new ECM, until the clips lock, and you're ready to rock.

Plenty of GM applications used the 165 ECM. Nothing really special about them, the one in my Iroc came from a mid-80's S10 with a fuel injected 2.5L 4cyl engine. Just use the chip that came with the car, and the program will be right.

Tuned Performance 12-06-2018 10:04 AM

I have a 888999194 for sale, like drew said swap over your memcal.
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engi...9-tpi-ecm.html

Moonlightlady79 12-06-2018 11:04 AM

We did swap it over to the Cardone and that didn’t work. I spoke to gm and they said that my transam probably wasn’t compatible with the Cardone we bought. Multiple people have told me that all ecms need programmed as well as swapping the Ecm.

Tuned Performance 12-06-2018 11:06 AM

No reprogramming needed just swap over the blue covered memcal.

Tuned Performance 12-06-2018 11:23 AM

Codes for 86 memcals
http://www.chevythunder.com/prom_bcc_1986.htm
aum has a update
http://www.gmtips.com/3rd-degree/dox/tips/ecm/prom.htm
i also have a new updated aum
and a new anb for 3.27 rear gears

Tuned Performance 12-06-2018 11:38 AM

Tuned Performance 12-06-2018 11:59 AM

Moonlightlady79 12-06-2018 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance (Post 6266778)

thanks for the picture, but I have a different car code for my transam.

GeneralDisorder 12-06-2018 02:41 PM

My shop is in Portland and I daily drive an 86 Trans Am that runs that same ECM. I can "program" the ECM for you if you don't have the original PROM, etc. I also am going to be upgrading my ECM in the near future from the 165 to the EBL system for my new Vortec so I won't be needing it. It's a new-old-stock ACDelco reman that I installed about 3 years ago. I have another spare reman 165 ECM from one of my parts cars also - tested/working.

And as others have stated, there is no "programming" of the ECM itself. All the programming is stored on the PROM chip. So the sum total of "programming" involves burning the correct PROM code onto the chip and inserting it into any working 165 ECM.

GD

Moonlightlady79 12-06-2018 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder (Post 6266816)
My shop is in Portland and I daily drive an 86 Trans Am that runs that same ECM. I can "program" the ECM for you if you don't have the original PROM, etc. I also am going to be upgrading my ECM in the near future from the 165 to the EBL system for my new Vortec so I won't be needing it. It's a new-old-stock ACDelco reman that I installed about 3 years ago. I have another spare reman 165 ECM from one of my parts cars also - tested/working.

And as others have stated, there is no "programming" of the ECM itself. All the programming is stored on the PROM chip. So the sum total of "programming" involves burning the correct PROM code onto the chip and inserting it into any working 165 ECM.

GD

i have the original prom chip. The gm service department said I need to bring in the new Ecm to be programmed and have the prom chip installed. I also talked to another shop and they said the Ecm needs to be flashed (programmed) and then the prom installed into it. Am I getting the wrong info.

all the parts places I’ve looked at says ecms need. programmed and addition prom chip needs installed.

Tuned Performance 12-06-2018 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Moonlightlady79 (Post 6266835)

i have the original prom chip. The gm service department said I need to bring in the new Ecm to be programmed and have the prom chip installed. I also talked to another shop and they said the Ecm needs to be flashed (programmed) and then the prom installed into it. Am I getting the wrong info.

all the parts places I’ve looked at says ecms need. programmed and addition prom chip needs installed.

all wrong, install your memcal and be done with it.

Moonlightlady79 12-06-2018 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance (Post 6266837)

all wrong, install your memcal and be done with it.

and the mental is also called the prom chip?

Tuned Performance 12-06-2018 04:26 PM

Galaxie500XL 12-06-2018 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Moonlightlady79 (Post 6266835)

The MEMCAL is the programming, once it's installed, you're good to go.....there's nothing "special" the dealership can do to a replacement ECM, except take your money.

Moonlightlady79 12-06-2018 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Galaxie500XL (Post 6266857)
The MEMCAL is the programming, once it's installed, you're good to go.....there's nothing "special" the dealership can do to a replacement ECM, except take your money.

thanks everybody for the help. Got it figured out now.