Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DIY PROM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/)
-   -   tunercat (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/260287-tunercat.html)

billyhoss 09-20-2004 12:55 AM

tunercat

hi i have a 91 z28 with a 305 tpi auto and i want to get into prom burning, now my ? is can u use a program like gmecmedit to recalibrate my chip or should i send the $ and buy the turnercat software and the right $8d file for it? basicly is the software worth the $, will it allow me to do more with the chip then the other and is it easier to learn and use, thanx

gta324 09-20-2004 02:41 AM

Here is a great Free program if you not want to buy tunercat...

I use both Tunercat and tunerpro.........

http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/

/N.

vernw 09-20-2004 09:13 AM

Me too! (to using both TC and TP)

CaptPicardsZ28 09-20-2004 11:44 AM

Me three!

thirdgen88 09-20-2004 06:25 PM

me 2^2!! lol

dimented24x7 09-20-2004 06:39 PM

I really like TC. It still has some bugs but overall its nice software and with the definition editor you can make your own definitions for anything you might be using. I too use both like the other guys.

MikeT 88IROC350 09-20-2004 07:19 PM

I also been using Tunercat for a long time. It is easy to use, and the cost wasn't too bad. And you if you want to venture off doing chips for other ECMs, the cal files are only $20. They have great support and standbye thier product, and you get updates as soon as you ask for them.

On the other hand, I also just started using Tunerpro. It is a little different to use, but has some advantages. Nothing wrong with have a backup editor, just as a method of checks and balances. You are limited as to the ecms you can burn for, but the software is evolving quikly.

JPrevost 09-20-2004 09:56 PM

I like TunerPro better because it doesn't limit the developer to only 99 constants! What a crock of ****. Excuse my language but I just spend a good 6 hours putting together a tdf file for TunerCat to find out half way through the hack TunerCat says I've maxed out the constants!:mad:
TunerPro only needs to re-invent the ecu file format to backwards support the old but come up with new. There's no reason why a new file type couldn't be created ESPECIALLY since the current one limits the labels of the x-axis to 3 characters and y-axis to 5. Makes it hard to do the main VE table in the $61 mask when the RPM is on the x-axis. The result was a major mix up when I got it backwards and now the RPM's are 4, 8, 12, etc. and the label is RPMx10. It's confusing and annoying, hence my reasons for using TunerCat for fuel and spark main table adjustments.

vernw 09-20-2004 10:16 PM

TC has a new version for the $8D speed density setup that's fixed the 99 constants problem. Got my updated version (can now adjust the manual tranny shift light parameters) a couple of weeks or so ago..... call them if you're using $8D!!!!!

dimented24x7 09-20-2004 10:49 PM

I thought the 99 constants thing was sort of annoying. Even with only the basic stuff I have nearly that many for what Im running now.

billyhoss 09-21-2004 02:20 AM

ok so i see most ppl are using both cat and pro, but if iam only doing my car is it worth buying the turnercat + the ecu file that i would need or can i do most of what i would need too with tuner pro?

gta324 09-21-2004 02:36 AM

Why dont you start off with tunerpro, and then decide i you want TC, you could download the demo version of TC and see what it looks like...

/N.

3.8TransAM 09-21-2004 10:38 AM

i use both as well.

TC is a great program and I got started on it:-) Easier for me to use than TunerPro, at least at this point in time.

They both have plus' and minus', but both have great support and I appreciate them both for it

later
Jeremy

Mangus 09-21-2004 05:31 PM

Jon. The next version of TunerPro will not have all the terrible limitations of the ECU format. I've written my own format (.xdf). Its quite powerful, extensible, and will have support for auto-tuning (down the road) and ALDL/Data integration (pointers on where in the spark table your engine is running currently, for instance).

Cool stuff. Stay tuned...

JPrevost 09-21-2004 06:06 PM

Originally posted by Mangus
Jon. The next version of TunerPro will not have all the terrible limitations of the ECU format. I've written my own format (.xdf). Its quite powerful, extensible, and will have support for auto-tuning (down the road) and ALDL/Data integration (pointers on where in the spark table your engine is running currently, for instance).

Cool stuff. Stay tuned...

Cool beans. I thought I read you were working on that, just wasn't sure.
As for the pointers where in the table your engine is... PE-ltd's software does that. It was one of the recommendations I gave them for helping me tune our FSAE engine on the dyno. You might want to add in hotkeys to do things like add, subrtract, multiply, divide, etc. That's the other thing I found useful using his software.
As for the xdf file format, can I import the current ecu file work or am I going to have to spend a couple nights doing it all over again? I'm just getting SO tired of using stock code ;) . I need to start making something for the ultimate TBI code :D .

Mangus 09-21-2004 06:08 PM

most certainly.