Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DIY PROM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/)
-   -   ALDL cable ques. (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/321968-aldl-cable-ques.html)

rockit 09-20-2005 10:43 AM

ALDL cable ques.

hey, i got a laptop last night, winaldl is up and running on it but i need the cable still, checked out some of the sites available and just wondered if anyone had any input on who's who and where i might want to go to get my cable.
i would build it myself but i cant sodder so,,, prob no a good idea huh?

Falx 09-20-2005 11:53 AM

I got mine from an ebay seller going by Mastach (or something similar). 45 dollars shipped isn't the best price in the world, and I had to wait a while for it to be shipped (and longer for it to get here, because he's in Poland) but it works well, comes with a serial cable and the instructions are pretty clear. Not that it isn't a straightforward procedure to begin with...

92ss wagon 09-20-2005 02:36 PM

www.aldlcable.com
Fast shipping and great service!

DJ

justlearning 09-20-2005 02:57 PM

i just made my own a couple of weeks ago from a schematic on the boards links dont know if it works yet but it was simple to make...probably 8 dollars in parts if u have a soldering iron and solder.

NEEDforSPEED 09-20-2005 03:53 PM

Originally posted by 92ss wagon
www.aldlcable.com
Fast shipping and great service!

DJ

how well does that work, i might buy the bare wired one, i made my own but its pertty tosted and i used solded wire so ya its no fun trying to move around in the car you cant just roll it up and stick it somewhere with out it in the way :rolleyes:

rockit 09-20-2005 04:54 PM

what i dont get about that cable is that he expects you to be able to plug the wire in under the dash but he doesnt think you can plug a wire into the fusebox. id rather have the whole affair hidden, route it under the passenger seat and pull it out when you need it you know?
is that doable anyways? could i just chop off the end and put it in one of the ignition slots? either that or since i dont smoke ill steal a lighter terminal from one of my parts cars and plught that in behind the dash an leave the original non functional.

BMmonteSS 09-20-2005 05:10 PM

The cable I built off of winaldl's site doesn't require an external 12 volt source, so there is only one hook up to your aldl port. You could hard wire somthin in and have it uner the seat if you wanted to. If you need the 12 volts you could put a pin in your ALDL that is 12 volts and wire the power through one connection.

rockit 09-20-2005 05:18 PM

never mind the power source question, just looked up the diagram and i see why he does it that way now, im justgoing to hide another lighter jack under the dash and plug it into the existing powersource for mine.
just ordered the cable,, hopefully be here by friday huh??

92ss wagon 09-20-2005 06:06 PM

Originally posted by NEEDforSPEED
how well does that work, i might buy the bare wired one, i made my own but its pertty tosted and i used solded wire so ya its no fun trying to move around in the car you cant just roll it up and stick it somewhere with out it in the way :rolleyes:
It works perfectly!

90RS305 09-20-2005 06:32 PM

They didn't make all the specific boards for nothing guys.....

Moved