Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DIY PROM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/)
-   -   TBI vs TPI chip burning (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/470051-tbi-vs-tpi-chip.html)

1slobird91 04-11-2008 12:35 AM

TBI vs TPI chip burning

Well...i have a 1991 Speed Density TPI 350....i was wondering...how is this tunable? it has a hypertech chip in it now but ide like to get my hands on tuning.

the difference:

my buddys computer for his TBI is WAY different than mine...he has an actual "chip"...i have something that looks like it connects to some IDE cable or something.....how is this possible to tune?

RBob 04-11-2008 07:35 AM

Re: TBI vs TPI chip burning

Your ECM also has a chip (PROM). See the sticky on the DFI & ECM board for additional info on a MEMCAL.

Then head over to moates.net for a G1 adapter. Easiest way to do it.

RBob.

1slobird91 04-11-2008 11:21 AM

where though? on my friends TBI computer there is an access point that allowes you to get to a regular IC chip...for the TPI (my) computer...the chip comes off like its attached to like a IDE type connection. is the IC chip inside this little "thingy"

90c350 04-11-2008 11:29 AM

Go to Moates.net and check out his web site. There you will see the section on chip adapters and look for the G1 adapter like Rbob said. It will show you somw good pictures to answer your questions. And yes the chip is under the Blue cover, but you cannot take it out without some desoldering.

1slobird91 04-11-2008 12:34 PM

ahhh...ok my appologies...i wasnt sure what the G1 adapter was..i guess thats the type of "chip" i have?

s24a 04-11-2008 12:40 PM

You have what is referred to as a "MEMCAL" module.
This module contains an EPROM (in your case a 27C256 version), a KNOCK Thick Film assy (other side of the MECAL, covered by that "snot" humiseal substance, and then under the KNOCK Thickfilm unit are the NETRES chips that do the default fueling and spark control in HW limp-home.

1slobird91 04-15-2008 12:46 AM

which device do I need to change this into a regular E-PROM?

rockit 04-15-2008 01:16 AM

the moates adapter adds a socket for a burnable chip, the original memcal has both a chip with the engine calibration on it and the netres, which in effect is a back up for the chip failing. the netres is maintained by the adapter. if you look on moates.net you will see the g1 adapter has many electrodes along one side and a plastic connector identical to the one on the bottom of your memcal along the bottom, the memcal plugs onto the electrodes, and the base snaps in in place of the memcal and adds the new chip socket in place of the stock one. make sense?