Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DIY PROM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/)
-   -   I just want a Little more lope at idle (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/493078-i-just-want-little.html)

Killerzracing71 09-16-2008 04:15 PM

I just want a Little more lope at idle

:crazy:

I want it to have more off a Lope at idle so what can I adjust in tuner pro to make it idle like its gota bigger cam

Heard a couple people say it was possible to do but idk thought Id ask you all

Do I fool with with SA at Idle and Lower IDLE rpm

pandin 09-16-2008 08:31 PM

Re: I just want a Little more lope at idle

Back in the Day (Way back), the trick to making a lopey idle was to pull the hand choke out on the carb to set the mixture a little rich. This will simimulate a lopey idle (adding way too much fuel) but long term will foul plugs, O2, wash oil off the cylinders, and over heat the Cat. Also retarding the spark will help the lope, but the Exhaust gas temps will rise giving a red glow to the pipes and really over heating the cat (melt down).

WARNING USE THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK !!!!

anesthes 09-16-2008 08:45 PM

Wow.

dimented24x7 09-16-2008 10:12 PM

Try one of these: http://www.compcams.com/technical/Ca...67_226-227.pdf

Seriously, though, theres no way to make your stock motor lope without potentially damaging it, something else, or wasting a ton of gas.

Jaysz28 09-17-2008 07:01 AM

and here I am tuning my car so it doesn't lope at idle.....

-jason

calamitascamaro 09-17-2008 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jaysz28 (Post 3890810)
and here I am tuning my car so it doesn't lope at idle.....

-jason

Classic:lmao:

18436572 09-17-2008 08:05 AM

I think that you are on the right track removing timing @ idle and reducing idle RPM. One thing to think about is that you are increasing the possibility of engine stalling. I think that the idle is already set at 700 RPM, that is already pretty low.

pwdbychevy 09-17-2008 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Killerzracing71 (Post 3890228)
:crazy:

I want it to have more off a Lope at idle so what can I adjust in tuner pro to make it idle like its gota bigger cam

Heard a couple people say it was possible to do but idk thought Id ask you all

Do I fool with with SA at Idle and Lower IDLE rpm

Disconnect an injector or two. Just kidding. The only way I know how is to retard the timing and enjoy the glowing headers at idle.

tequilaboy 09-17-2008 09:46 PM

Try cycling the egr valve. Maybe use the injector pulses as a "trigger"

Tbi-MAX 09-17-2008 10:10 PM

rofl

:confused:

327_TPI_77_Maro 09-18-2008 08:19 AM

Seriously, this is a friekin terrible idea. Pulling timing will make it lope. It will also hurt your off idle throttle response, and it will make your exhaust smell a lot more like unburned fuel. You can't make a smooth idling car, convincingly sound like it has a cam. You are just going to make your car sound like a dying old piece of crap. Lope at idle is not necessarily a good thing. I have a 0.502/0.510" comp roller cam and it lopes aggressively, which is not what I wanted. I spent almost $1,000 to convert a Gen I block to roller cam, for the only reason that I wanted to make power and have no lope at idle. I thought this fairly moderate roller grind, on a 112 LSA, would be smoother idling. It is choppy. I may change the cam again ($300/each since it's a roller now...) to try to clean the idle up further. narrow band O2s do not like dirty idling. Neither does my breathing.

anesthes 09-18-2008 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by 327_TPI_77_Maro (Post 3891912)
Seriously, this is a friekin terrible idea. Pulling timing will make it lope. It will also hurt your off idle throttle response, and it will make your exhaust smell a lot more like unburned fuel. You can't make a smooth idling car, convincingly sound like it has a cam. You are just going to make your car sound like a dying old piece of crap. Lope at idle is not necessarily a good thing. I have a 0.502/0.510" comp roller cam and it lopes aggressively, which is not what I wanted. I spent almost $1,000 to convert a Gen I block to roller cam, for the only reason that I wanted to make power and have no lope at idle. I thought this fairly moderate roller grind, on a 112 LSA, would be smoother idling. It is choppy. I may change the cam again ($300/each since it's a roller now...) to try to clean the idle up further. narrow band O2s do not like dirty idling. Neither does my breathing.

Comp 503 cam?

Mine lopes a little. I have idle set at 900rpm, and 25* advance. Cleans it up.

For some reason, on the miniram I had a little less vac than the single plane. Now with the single plane I gained about 3hg more vac (now at 15-16) and the idle is a little cleaner. I think it has to do with how high the injectors are in the miniram casting, and the twin bore TB with no idle circuit. I think atomization is poor at best at idle.

Hows the car? Fix the frame stuff yet?

-- Joe

Ronny 09-18-2008 09:33 AM

Buy a CD from NHRA of idle of a funny car just B4 full throttle annd crank up the amps !

Jaysz28 09-18-2008 10:27 AM

could just pop a plug wire off, that'll give it a lope/stumble/something......

327_TPI_77_Maro - any cam with more than a 114 lsa will have some lope it seems. I have a smaller cam than you're running and it lopes some.

oddly enough, if I turn on the ac, or starting letting the clutch out it smoothes out. Just likes to have a load on it.

-jason

Killerzracing71 09-19-2008 04:01 PM

ROFL yall guys are stupid ROFL, LMAO

Its all good I just wanted it to make a lil sound at idle.

I actually listened to the motor, and it sounds pretty good, its trying to come out the exgaut but the Stock reso and the stock muffler is holding it back

Soon as I throw on some flowmasters Ill be set.

Lol on cut off an Injector I only have 2 ROFL, its a TBI

I didnt even think anyone responded to the thread just checked the forum lol

igotta355z28 09-19-2008 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Killerzracing71 (Post 3893115)
ROFL yall guys are stupid ROFL, LMAO

Its all good I just wanted it to make a lil sound at idle.

I actually listened to the motor, and it sounds pretty good, its trying to come out the exgaut but the Stock reso and the stock muffler is holding it back

Soon as I throw on some flowmasters Ill be set.

Lol on cut off an Injector I only have 2 ROFL, its a TBI

I didnt even think anyone responded to the thread just checked the forum lol

did HE just really call you guys stupid? thats the pot calling the kettle black if ive ever heard it. Get a bigger cam jack ***.....:idiot: