Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DIY PROM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/)
-   -   Tuner Pro V5 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/544340-tuner-pro-v5.html)

Six_Shooter 11-07-2009 08:39 PM

Re: Tuner Pro V5

Detecting "attached hardware" is only for emulation devices, such as the Ostrich 2.0 or Auto Prom. It will not detect the ALDU1.

You will need to load the correct ADX, and then use the blue crossed arrows to connect to the ALDL stream.

FSTFBDY 11-07-2009 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter (Post 4339166)
Detecting "attached hardware" is only for emulation devices, such as the Ostrich 2.0 or Auto Prom. It will not detect the ALDU1.

You will need to load the correct ADX, and then use the blue crossed arrows to connect to the ALDL stream.

ok explains why I was use to that with the autoprom. Didnt know that doesnt work with the extreme aldl. knock that down.

I have an 8D XDF. Im guessing the ADX is a new thing for v5

just collecting stuff needed to check the N/A status of combo now without boost. Then want to swap to the $59 code and slap the large rinjectors and tubing for 12psi on.

Mangus 11-07-2009 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by TPl383 (Post 4339074)
in pref. ya if i change the com port...

First, your AutoProm will only be detected when the AutoProm is not set in passthrough mode (switch toward the USB port on the back of the unit). When in that mode, you must have TunerPro set to use the AutoProm as the interface type.

In passthrough mode (switch away from the USB port on the unit), TunerPro will not detect the emulation hardware, because the AutoProm at this point is acting like a normal ALDL cable. In this mode you need to set TunerPro up to use a serial cable interface, and set the COM port correctly. Sounds like you have that working if TunerPro validates that the cable is connected. This is the best mode to get it working in.

From that point (with "test cable" returning that the cable is deteted), you should be bale to connect, provided your vehicle is working, not in limp mode, etc.

If it works in V4, V5 should work provided you have the exact same settings as in V4.

Six_Shooter 11-07-2009 09:04 PM

While yes ADX is a "V5 thing", it is a new version of the ADS you would have used with V4. Scanner Pro also used an ADX file for logging, but there have been changes to the file structure so Scanner Pro ADX files don't seem to work with Tuner Pro V5.

You can import ADS files to Tuner Pro V5, and save them as ADX files. Under the Aquision tool box you can find "Import ADS...".

FSTFBDY 11-07-2009 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mangus (Post 4339195)
First, your AutoProm will only be detected when the AutoProm is not set in passthrough mode (switch toward the USB port on the back of the unit). When in that mode, you must have TunerPro set to use the AutoProm as the interface type.

In passthrough mode (switch away from the USB port on the unit), TunerPro will not detect the emulation hardware, because the AutoProm at this point is acting like a normal ALDL cable. In this mode you need to set TunerPro up to use a serial cable interface, and set the COM port correctly. Sounds like you have that working if TunerPro validates that the cable is connected. This is the best mode to get it working in.

From that point (with "test cable" returning that the cable is deteted), you should be bale to connect, provided your vehicle is working, not in limp mode, etc.

If it works in V4, V5 should work provided you have the exact same settings as in V4.

Thanks for that post also. It will help when I get another autoprom.

Im just trying to get a normal aldl cable to datalog right now. (the extreme aldl cable from craig)

FSTFBDY 11-07-2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter (Post 4339196)
While yes ADX is a "V5 thing", it is a new version of the ADS you would have used with V4. Scanner Pro also used an ADX file for logging, but there have been changes to the file structure so Scanner Pro ADX files don't seem to work with Tuner Pro V5.

You can import ADS files to Tuner Pro V5, and save them as ADX files. Under the Aquision tool box you can find "Import ADS...".

This got it. Didnt know I had to import the ads to an adx.

connects fine now.

THANKS !

Six_Shooter 11-07-2009 09:23 PM

No problem, just glad to help.

Happy logging. :D

FSTFBDY 11-07-2009 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by Six_Shooter (Post 4339225)
No problem, just glad to help.

Happy logging. :D

Thanks ! Im sure I'll be picking your brain just like orr89 soon as I swap over to the $59 code.
now to go unting over on your site for $59 stuff for TPRT V5

need to find a good starter bin for my combo

bl85c 11-12-2009 11:45 PM

Will tunerpro recognize the power symbol (^) or do I need to manually input the no. of times to multiply?

Edit- guess not.

Daveinet 11-13-2009 12:27 AM

Ok Mark, Now you are going to shoot me. In going a little crazy with the dash boards, I was trying to make some of the gauges vertical by setting the needle arc from 0 to 180. The problem is that when doing that, it only uses 50% of the gauge area, and the rest of the gauge is blank. This seems to defeat the purpose of having the needle arc so adjustable. I cheated a bit, by having 2 blank areas overlap, but there still is a lot of wasted blank space. ( 1 gauge goes from 0 to 180, the other gauge goes from 180 to 359 with blank overlap in the center)

I was also trying to invert the needle travel, which can be done mathematically, but then the gauge numbers aren't meaningful.

Just some observations as I layout the ultimate dash.

On Edit: Saved a photo of the dash. One other observation. It would be nice if the bezel was the same arc as the gauge. You can see on engine speed how the bezel looks weird. Although for those using a full circular gauge may look weird, so I don't know what the best way to handle that is.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...ngine/Dash.jpg

One other thing, Does anyone have a log in $0E in V5 they can post. The FI is in my motorhome, so I don't get to drive it much. My old logs from ScannerPro do not play back so I have no way to observe how the overlaps effect the gauges.

Daveinet 11-15-2009 09:54 PM

BTW, On fuel economy calculations, do TBI have a fuel regulator attached to a vacuum port? My MPFI does which means my flow calculations are off except at full throttle. Seems like the only way to calculate that would be a fuel pressure gauge.

rgarcia63 11-15-2009 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Drumer919 (Post 4300838)
I cant seem to D/L it. Figured it out -right click save as...

Trouble D/L? I can't find it on the download page, the latest I see is version 4.14.0381

Mangus 11-16-2009 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by bl85c (Post 4344218)
Will tunerpro recognize the power symbol (^) or do I need to manually input the no. of times to multiply?

Edit- guess not.

^ is XOR.
# is power.

Mangus 11-16-2009 12:53 AM

Dave -

That's a great looking dash. I'll take a look at adding support for reversing the needle. I can see where it'd be valuable for your layout.

Regarding the blank space when doing 180 degree needles - I'm aware of it. The way to get around it for now is to do what you're doing. In the future I'll be adding the ability to specify transparent backgrounds for gauges, making it easier to overlap them.

I'll also be adding new gauge types (like digital LED-style gauges and temp gauge types).

Regarding MPG calculation, yes, it's not going to be accurate, but it should be fine for trending.

Mangus 11-16-2009 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by rgarcia63 (Post 4345882)
Trouble D/L? I can't find it on the download page, the latest I see is version 4.14.0381

see the front page of the site. http://www.tunerpro.net/beta/tpbeta.htm

Daveinet 11-16-2009 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mangus (Post 4345915)
Dave - ...
Regarding the blank space when doing 180 degree needles - I'm aware of it. The way to get around it for now is to do what you're doing. In the future I'll be adding the ability to specify transparent backgrounds for gauges, making it easier to overlap them.

Specify transparent background or any entity? If my understanding is correct, the gauge face would still be full circle, which would still wipe out the overlap area. Have to play with it, to figure which would achieve the desired result.

I'll also be adding new gauge types (like digital LED-style gauges and temp gauge types).
Huge cheer rises from the gaulking crowd.

Six_Shooter 11-16-2009 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Daveinet (Post 4346126)
Specify transparent background or any entity? If my understanding is correct, the gauge face would still be full circle, which would still wipe out the overlap area. Have to play with it, to figure which would achieve the desired result.

Huge cheer rises from the gaulking crowd.

The gauge sweep can be adjusted, from very small amounts, something like a few degrees, to a full 360 degrees of needle sweep.

I currently have a dash that has the engine RPM needle to sweep 180 degrees and the half not being used extends off the right side of the dash to give the illusion that it's only as wide as the dash is. Basically using a number greater than 100 for the right side of the gauge puts non used side off the edge of the dash. This also works for the bottom, just not the top or left side, negitive numbers don't seem to work there.

Daveinet 11-16-2009 06:05 PM

Ya, that's what I did - See link in my longer post near the top of this page. On PW, not only is it 120%, but its also 280 degree arc, so the value at the top is what I want. Since the segments are always a factor of 10, I wanted even multiples, but the PW never gets above 5.5, so I don't need to display 10, so its off the page.

One interesting ramification of transparent backgrounds is that means that we could drop the current value reading from the bottom of the analog gauges. If the gauge face is transparent, we can make a redundant digital gauge and drop it anywhere on top of the analog gauge. We even get to define the size of the font, by the gauge size.

I was also thinking about min/max and historical averages for analog gauges. Would it be way cool to display historical averages as a colored band in the gauge faceplate? Thinking about the O2 sensor - because it spends most of its life toggling, it seems useless to actually read the value it toggles to, but if you could see a band behind the needle, you would get some sense of the average area it is toggling in just in a quick glance.

Since I do use this dash while driving, it has to be designed to give general info at a quick glance, details are not real important. I know Mark has said to not use this while driving, but the OEM speedo and tach are both broken, so the computer is it. No its not used for analysis, its there to tell me everything is ok, as this 502 purrs along.

bl85c 11-23-2009 06:38 PM

I just wanted to thank Mark for what he's done here. I don't think the average users are going to totally appreciate the power he's given us with this program, and it's still freeware! I've made a bunch of history tables that really take tuning to another level, and expose errors in things like some of my fuel mileage strategies. I had no idea I was losing out on a whole 5 mpg below my tcc lockup point of 40mph. With the gears I have I can lock it at 35 without lugging around and still reap the mileage benefits. :thanks:

liquidh8 11-25-2009 08:24 AM

Just downloaded it and when I get some time I'll be using it on my turbo buick wagon. I haven't been monitoring the boards for about 6 months, military keeps me busy.

Magnus, this looks fantastic BTW :thanks:

lakeffect2 11-28-2009 07:35 PM

First off, my sincere thanks for all you guys do for us. Over the past few years you've stuck with me, helped me with my TPI Caprice wagon project, Shammoo, got it running, and I am grateful for the support everyone here on the forum has given me. (God bless Grumpy, wherever he is)

So, I've played with Version 4, I have a Prominator hooked up and can load into it easily. Primarily I changed tables for set up, fuel and spark to get the beast running, but have never actually done data logging yet for see results. It's all seat of the pants tuning. Although I know there is valuable info available in the data stream, I'm unfamiliar with using spread sheets to get to it.

I'm still relatively prehistoric in knowledge (VCR still blinks 12:00) but excited to learn. (I know, "read the stickies") Some questions posed in this thread I get, others are many times over my head. Particularly I break out in hives when it comes to the thought opening and changing code.

Therefore my question is version 5 advisable, being the latest and greatest, or will a relative newbie like myself be in over his (my) head? Your thoughts as to whether this version is easier or harder for rookies to deal with?

Six_Shooter 11-28-2009 07:57 PM

I would suggest getting familar with V4 datalogging first. Not that V5 datalogging is any harder, it's just that there are only a few available ADXs out right now for use with V5, and it seems to be easier with having the V4 background to use V5, especially since V5 is still technically a "beta release", ther emay be some glitches from time to time, make sense?

You don't need to use spread sheets. You can view the data either in real time (I suggest being a passenger to do this), or play it back, watching it on the "dash" that is shown in the TP workspace.

The nice thing about exporting the datalog to a CSV file is that you can scroll through looking for particular data, such as:

At 3600 to 4000 RPM, you get a lean pop or stumble, especialy in low gears, so you can scroll through the CSV looking for this range in RPM, and lower speed, so then you can look at injector PW, spark advance, AFR (O2 volts), etc to see what is happening and adjust based on that.

Most of the time I will play back the datalog and watch at slower speed, then if I can't quite catch it in the play back I will look at a CSV file of that datalog to try and pinpoint the issue.

Get to datalogging, it'll help greatly. ;)

Mangus 11-28-2009 08:09 PM

Also note that V5 no longer supports the Prominator, as parallel port support has changed significantly in the newer operating systems.

I may add it back in a future version if demand is great enough.

lakeffect2 11-28-2009 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mangus (Post 4357197)
Also note that V5 no longer supports the Prominator, as parallel port support has changed significantly in the newer operating systems.

I may add it back in a future version if demand is great enough.

Thanks to both Six Shooter and Mangus for answering. (and swiftly)

Since I intend to continue use of the Prominator for the foreseeable future, it appears as though my best bet is to stay with, and learn version 4 considerable better. I've never tried to use the Dashboard feature yet.

Sounds like I'd need to upgrade my old (semi-reliable) laptop as well if I went to V5.

bl85c 11-29-2009 06:50 PM

Occasionally the splash will overlap the registration notification (and I am going to donate ;)) and won't go away when you click on it. I have to close it out with task manager to get it to go away. Anyone else notice this? And when you open some tables or constants the box is too small to see all the values/options. I think maybe the splash problem is related to the pentium2 laptop I'm using this with LOL.

Daveinet 12-02-2009 09:36 PM

Yes, I was going to email Mark about that. Its a minor issue, but when the registration warning comes up, if you inadvertently click the mouse some place else on the screen, the registration warning goes behind the splash. You can barely catch the edge of it and recover, but its probably something that should be fixed.

Oh ya, one other thing I really like is the number value read out when playing back the monitors. That is the detail that was difficult to determine with ScannerPro, but now one really can compare one run to the next and get real acceleration rates. So another thumbs up.

Daveinet 12-04-2009 06:20 PM

Say one more thing, (theres always one more thing) TunerPro V4 had a way to send quick commands directly to the ECM. I'm not sure how to do this in TunerPro V5

Mangus 12-04-2009 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Daveinet (Post 4362866)
Say one more thing, (theres always one more thing) TunerPro V4 had a way to send quick commands directly to the ECM. I'm not sure how to do this in TunerPro V5

It's on the list of things to add that haven't yet been.

Daveinet 12-04-2009 11:34 PM

Buttons for the dashboard...?

Mangus 12-05-2009 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Daveinet (Post 4363124)
Buttons for the dashboard...?

I don't follow.

Daveinet 12-05-2009 08:27 AM

Maybe my thought process is out of ignorance about how things work, but I was just suggesting quick access to those quick commands. I was thinking that I used to have a random check engine light from an IAC trouble code. Since it was only a random occurrence, it would have been nice to kill the light (or trouble code) on the fly, without having to go through multiple key strokes to clear the code. Placing a button on the dashboard would have been an easy way to just clear the code on the fly, but that was just part of my thought process.

Mangus 12-05-2009 11:09 AM

I see so. So, in the definition, you could add a button to the dash definition and assign a command to it. Sounds like a good one.

Daveinet 12-05-2009 12:06 PM

Yes, that was the thought process. even thinking more do you just open up the assignment for those buttons to any kind of macro or function. For someone running emulation, can you do a dump, so one can switch programs on the fly as well. Currently, I'm running a G3, so I can switch programs on the fly, but if one emulating, they could dump on the fly as well. Seems the idea for function should be kept fairly open ended so creative minds can work. I suppose the only question is if there are times when you want the buttons but would not have the dash open. I really hope there is more input from others who use this, I have to be one of the more primitive users, with limited experience with this stuff.

But that's really the beauty of TunerPro. While there is a lot of detail to set it up, it is very open ended, so it becomes very versatile.

AM91Camaro_RS 12-13-2009 06:46 PM

I hope this isn't a dumb question (probably is, though)... Is there a way for TunerPro to display KPa while datalogging?? I've got the formula to convert it but it seems to me like it would be easier to work with a KPa readout instead of MAP V.

bl85c 12-13-2009 07:17 PM

Just change the conversion formula and rename stuff.

Six_Shooter 12-13-2009 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by AM91Camaro_RS (Post 4370820)
I hope this isn't a dumb question (probably is, though)... Is there a way for TunerPro to display KPa while datalogging?? I've got the formula to convert it but it seems to me like it would be easier to work with a KPa readout instead of MAP V.

As bl85c said, changing the conversion and re-naming will get you what you need.

I usually add the variable a second time, to keep the original display value, and add the new display variable.
You can simply add another ADX value, and copy the same values from the MAP Volts variable, changing the name and the conversion.

AM91Camaro_RS 12-14-2009 03:48 PM

hadn't thought about the fact that I could do that...Thanks!! works like a charm!

now, any ideas why my Ostrich won't connect? It was working find on Saturday using v4.

Duts87ss 12-16-2009 08:41 PM

Awesome. Mark got the the issue fixed with exporting my ADPAC data to .csv.

Mark, you're the man!!!!!
Can't wait to test it out if the weather is nice this weekend.

trona 12-17-2009 12:40 PM

Re: Tuner Pro V5 linking xdf to adx

Hey there
I have been succesfull creating an adx from my xdf. The aldl dashboard works fine but I can't seem to get Data tracing to function. I guess i have not fiquered out how to link the bin to aldl?
Any help would be greatly apreiciated.
Thanks Dave

AM91Camaro_RS 12-17-2009 06:29 PM

I'm thinking you may have just mixed up some terminology but, to be clear. The adx will be coverted from an ads. Hook you aldl cable to your car and laptop. make sure in the preferences that you have the right com port selected. Use the test feature there to check your cable connection. Then, I had to click the "Enable/Disable Data Tracing" button to get mine to link. I don't understand why you would want to disable it but I'm sure its a nice feature for some users.
Just reread your post...you said the dashboard works fine. you are able to see your values? if so, disregard what I said above...

trona 12-17-2009 08:16 PM

Upon futher tinkering I discoverd a leter A above the table you might have open. By selecting the button I am able to see a slow moving yellow box on the particular cell that is in use. Unforntunatly I have not fiquered out hot to make this function work during the play back of a log file.
Dave

LA1 Z24 12-18-2009 05:34 AM

Sorry for the newb question everyone. I've just gotten into tuning within the past 6 months...What exactly is data tracing, and what does it do?

Jay

JP86SS 12-18-2009 12:00 PM

It displays the real time ECM data on the table you are editing.
Makes finding where to change easy.
Be sure all of the values between your ADX and ADF are floating point or integer and that they have the same ranges. That is the most common error that comes up.
You can click the icon in the toolbar to turn the function on/off while playing logs.

Duts87ss 12-18-2009 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Duts87ss (Post 4374069)
Awesome. Mark got the the issue fixed with exporting my ADPAC data to .csv.

Mark, you're the man!!!!!
Can't wait to test it out if the weather is nice this weekend.

Well, should have looked at that spreadsheet just a bit longer. I didn't pay attention to the ADX file that I had loaded; the one for running AFR info to port D8 on the ECM. When I looked closer at the spreadsheet I realized that the AFR steadily increases throughout the log; I have no input to D8, yet.

Looks like I'll be running a feed to port D8 and using the corresponding BIN and ADX files.

Mark, you're still the man!!!

Saar 12-21-2009 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by bl85c (Post 4315684)
By the way, anyone looking for an adx should go to moate's site and download Robert Saar\'s TPv5 ADX Pack 1 (E8,DF,DA2,A1,88,70,62,61,31T,8E,F0,8D,4E,2E,1F,3A).zip. No $6E though. :mad:

and i have a thread on the TP forum for this exact reason... i don't get on here nearly as often as i should...

vernw 12-24-2009 09:27 AM

Does V5 work with the original Ostrich, or will it only work with the newer version?

Sorry, I can't access tunerpro.net from work, it's a blocked site for some really stoopit reason.....

Mangus 12-24-2009 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by vernw (Post 4380560)
Does V5 work with the original Ostrich, or will it only work with the newer version?

Sorry, I can't access tunerpro.net from work, it's a blocked site for some really stoopit reason.....

v5 works with all Moates products.

Daveinet 12-24-2009 01:07 PM

Has there been any thought to making the acquisition tables be able to match the calibration tables? In other words, currently I don't have any way to match cell for cell from the BLM history to the fuel table. The resolution is different in the lower KPA in $0E. Also when having both tables open at the same time, the column widths and the row height is different. So I loose track of which cell is which and which ones I'm changing. I've changed whole sections and realized I was one row off and had to start over.

Even cooler would be if it were possible to match cell for cell, would be able to superimpose the BLM table onto the fuel table. Like having a diagonal line through the cell, where the top number is the history BLM table, and the lower number is the fuel table.

Mangus 12-24-2009 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Daveinet (Post 4380678)
Has there been any thought to making the acquisition tables be able to match the calibration tables?

From the page where the beta build is downloaded:

Known Issues
  • Histograms don't support arbitrary axis scaling

Daveinet 12-24-2009 10:18 PM

I'm sure I read that sometime before. I guess I would do well to read that page again, now that I'm using it. Merry Christmas