Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DIY PROM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/)
-   -   New to DIY Prom (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/708375-new-diy-prom.html)

billienaj 09-11-2014 08:26 PM

New to DIY Prom

I recently installed a rebuilt motor in my 86 TPI Camaro. When I did I also put in a decent sized cam. However currently I forget the specs on it. I told the guy at jegs I wanted some lope, as I've heard injected motors that had it. He informed the only way to get that was to have someone do a custom write for my pcm. Now that I'm looking I'm wondering if he meant a custom prom write? Regardless I'm very interested in getting the equipment and chips required to be able to make my own prom. I will probably never do any other vehicle than this one. But would be interested in a chip I can erase and reprogram multiple times. Any suggestions on which programmer I should get and which chip I should get. Preferably without breaking the bank. Links to the exact product would be appreciated as I've gotten lost looking at some of the pages trying to do it on my own. (I Have a lot to learn)

86 camaro 305 TPI

lakeffect2 09-12-2014 09:14 AM

Re: New to DIY Prom

Do yourself a favor, and just cut to the chase on this one.
Spend the bucks for an EBL system and use Tunerpro RT for your software.

One of our own members developed the EBL system Since he can be shy about tooting his own horn at times, here's the link:

http://www.dynamicefi.com/

It's also helpful to know how to cuss in multiple languages like ##*/^^@! Although at a minimum, you only need one language to cuss in, it's more colorful the other way.

Dave

billienaj 09-12-2014 11:26 AM

That actually looks pretty nice. A bit pricey, but in the grand scheme of life you get exactly what you pay for. It'll be a bit before I can squeeze that out. But your probably right this is the best option. Do you know if this will give me the ability to get like out of my vehicle? I have the sheet here on my camshaft. I will try to figure out how to post a picture of the spec sheet.

Ronny 09-12-2014 01:59 PM

If you want to do the project at min expense. see Craig Moates site. Then see auto prom or ostrich. I think he sells a "kit" for tuning.

As stated if you have the funds the dynamicefi ECU is the way to go. It uses your ECU and modifies it to 2015 standard.

Both of above you use TunerPro to create a .bin.

See stickies for more info!

billienaj 09-13-2014 04:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
sorry for the delay took me a bit to get to an actual computer and have time. here are the specs on my camshaft. any chance i can make the motor lope or am i SOL and should just focus on performance?

Attachment 332115

lakeffect2 09-14-2014 06:32 AM

That's not a "BIG" cam by any means, Wouldn't surprise me if it runs fairly fair with a stock BIN.

Where you have split durations of 206/210 , I've got 230/236. I wouldn't be expecting a bunch of "lope" at 206/210. Just saying....

billienaj 09-14-2014 05:25 PM

And I greatly appreciate it. Still very fresh on my mods. Most of my automotive experience has been in a real shop doing OE repairs not modifying for additional performance. So I didn't know if it was possible with the camshaft I have. Now I do. So thank you very much!

lakeffect2 09-15-2014 07:19 AM

Note that I didn't say IDEALY, just that you could likely get it to run.

billienaj 09-15-2014 04:33 PM

Oh yea. I guess I should make myself clear. I plan on doing something more than I have already. (A jegs chip) which I know now was minimal in the first place. I will get a better chip just to get the max I can out of what I have. I was just initially hopeing for a little lope to go with it and then trying to get some info on the best route to go both for performance and finances. So thank you all for your help!