Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DIY PROM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/)
-   -   Pocket DataLog for Android (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/741470-pocket-datalog-android.html)

jdarg 03-05-2017 01:53 PM

Pocket DataLog for Android

I'm going to start my own thread for Pocket DataLog.

Here's a teaser of the WUD capabilities I'm working on currently. Its still a little rough and some things are still not working in the UI but it won't be long.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...5120d5866b.png

gibbles 03-05-2017 02:05 PM

Re: Pocket DataLog for Android

Posting to subscribe, and to hopefully send my error logs/troubleshoot!

jdarg 03-05-2017 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by gibbles (Post 6116651)
Posting to subscribe, and to hopefully send my error logs/troubleshoot!

It looks like it posted the error to my Android developer console:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.felhr.usbserial.UsbSerialDevice.createUsbSerialDevice(UsbSerialDevice.java:68)
at com.felhr.usbserial.UsbSerialDevice.createUsbSerialDevice(UsbSerialDevice.java:58)
at com.brewcitycrawlers.pocketdatalog.UsbService$ConnectionThread.run(UsbService.java:274)

Seems the third-party serial library I'm using doesn't like your USB serial adapter for some reason so let me know what kind it is. I'll dig into the serial library probably next weekend and see if its something obvious/simple for me to fix.

gibbles 03-05-2017 02:27 PM

I think i got my adapters mixed up, the one i swore came with the ebl says xchip-x.

The other one i thought i bought for my wide band O2, says trendnet TU-S9.

​​​​​​​I just swapped them and the trendnet adapter is working!

gibbles 03-05-2017 02:59 PM

The xchip-x adapter; i confirmed it came with my ebl last year.

I found the trendnet adapter in my amazon order history, i ordered it with my wideband O2 last year.

Not sure if the xchip-x adapter is being sent with current ebl orders, or if i just got "lucky", rbob may be able to confirm.

RBob 03-06-2017 02:55 PM

The current USB to Serial adapter cable that goes with the EBL is the FTDI Chipi-X cable. It may have crashed the app if the drivers weren't installed. Can get it here:

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

The trendnet cable uses the Prolific chipset and uses a different driver.

RBob.

jdarg 03-09-2017 04:06 PM

Thanks Rbob.

I'm using a free third party serial library that started out pretty well maintained last year but its been languishing a bit since fall. It does indeed look like it is built on an older d2xx jar file.

I should be able to get everything to play nicely with the latest one. Give me a few weeks gibbles. I'll try to get it in the next release.

gibbles 03-09-2017 05:41 PM

Thanks!

I sent more logs via the app again invase it's helpful, and more info...

The working adapter crashed the app today when i connected ebl to my phone...

So i connected my micro usb adapter to my phone, launched the app, and then connected the serial adapter/ebl.
It worked!
So i did the same with the xchipx adapter, and it worked as well!
I can repro the crash on demand at this point if you need anything else, i can also enable developer mode on my device if you need something fancy.

TTOP350 03-09-2017 07:31 PM

Wish I was younger and could pick this stuff up easy, I could use something like this

jdarg 03-10-2017 09:47 AM

Thanks gibbles. Check your PM - I just need to clarify the steps I would use to reproduce the crash. That's good news I don't have to dig into the code for the serial library though...I wasn't looking forward to that because it would steal time away from the important stuff.

gibbles 03-11-2017 10:32 PM

I sent a good solid repro, works flawless each time if i connect all of the adapters in stages.

I have been using the app as a solid lockdown for my car.
took some logs with it today, working great!

​​​​​​​The playing lego is anoying, but it's nice to be able to use my phone since it's almost always with me. :thumbsup:

jdarg 03-16-2017 02:02 PM

Try this and let me know if it also seems stable w/ no errors. Android recently changed up their permissions handling, and I had to modify the app to work with that on the second release. I can't seem to recreate any of this crashing on a newer OS with the new permissions model and I no longer have any 4.4 or lower devices to test with.

Plug everything together but don't make the final connection to the phone.

Bring up your background apps list, and if pdlog is already running, close it out.

Fire up the app again.

Plug in the last of the legos (the "big" to "little" usb converter) into the phone.

Let me know how this works, both with ignition on and ignition off when you go to insert the converter into the phone with a "fresh" app launch, making sure it wasn't paused in he background.

gibbles 03-16-2017 05:22 PM

I think that's whats happening, if i close the app, and i later go to connect the usb, it pops up a window and asks to connect.

It does not show up in my task manager, but if i go to settings, apps, and running, it's there.

That also explains some of the randomized working and not working i was seeing...

​​​​​​​I'll test the idea shortly, however it may not happen until saturday...

??? 03-18-2017 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by jdarg (Post 6119711)
Try this and let me know if it also seems stable w/ no errors. Android recently changed up their permissions handling, and I had to modify the app to work with that on the second release. I can't seem to recreate any of this crashing on a newer OS with the new permissions model and I no longer have any 4.4 or lower devices to test with.

Plug everything together but don't make the final connection to the phone.

Bring up your background apps list, and if pdlog is already running, close it out.

Fire up the app again.

Plug in the last of the legos (the "big" to "little" usb converter) into the phone.

Let me know how this works, both with ignition on and ignition off when you go to insert the converter into the phone with a "fresh" app launch, making sure it wasn't paused in he background.

I have an old note 2 laying around, I believe it's on 4.3 something, if it would help and you'd want it

gibbles 03-18-2017 06:10 PM

So if i ensure the data logger service has fully exited i don't have to lego it together one piece at a time.
​​​​​​​but i do need to connect the usb adapter first, then connect the serial to ebl and it's all good

And I'm. 4.4.2 (I'm sure the logs showed that).

LG left me hanging with the last updates, wifes S5 got it no problem.

However her phone can't use app ops, serious disappoint as apps can do just about anything they want...

Bob@TriumphTr 03-19-2017 04:55 AM

Hi
I am running it on my Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet. Android 6. Works fine. According to the play store it's not compatible. I had to side load it . The play store refers to version 1.03 but the version I running is v 1.10.

As I am in Europe I more used to the metric system. Maybe a nice option for the future.

Regards

Bob

Bob@TriumphTr 03-25-2017 12:47 PM

Hi

Connecting the serial to USB adaptor through the mini USB port is a week point. Apparently there are serial to Bluetooth adaptors. Would it be possible to connect to pocket data through Bluetooth? Wouldn't that be terrific. Just get in the car and it pairs

gibbles 03-25-2017 06:10 PM

I would love a Bluetooth adapter, would make it easier as i also use this to lock the car via bank switch.

RF_Burns 06-13-2017 02:48 PM

Hi Jdarg,
I looked for your Pocket Datalog on Google Play but I can't find it through my phone. I can find it on my desktop though.
I'm in Canada, is it locked out from being accessed here?

Bob@TriumphTr 06-13-2017 02:58 PM

Hi Here is a link.

I had to sideload mine

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tdatalog&hl=nl

old man winter 06-13-2017 10:43 PM

I'd like to second that request for availability in Canada. This looks very exciting, would love to leave my crappy windows tablet home and just take my phone instead. Would also like to second that request for bluetooth to serial connectivity we use these adapters in the agricultural world to transmit internet based correction signals from a cell phone to gps receivers for auto guidance on tractors, works very slick.

old man winter 06-16-2017 05:59 AM

https://m.apkpure.com/pocket-datalog/com.brewcitycrawlers.pocketdatalog
found it in Canada, looks great can't wait to try it out thanks for the effort

dabomb6608 06-16-2017 12:14 PM

Iphone user here but subscribing cause this is definitely interesting.

robertfrank 06-21-2017 07:12 PM

This is awesome

robertfrank 07-14-2017 04:32 AM

Man I used the datalogger tonight and it works like a champ!

RBob 07-15-2017 05:01 PM

Thread is back on track.

robertfrank, you may be able to see your sig pictures, but photobucket is blocking others from seeing them.

RBob.

lakeffect2 07-15-2017 06:46 PM

Thank You RBob. All i'm seeing is circles, no pics

gibbles 07-15-2017 07:36 PM

:o

Thanks rbob

Almost3rdgen 12-31-2017 12:59 AM

Great thread and great work. I'm posting to subscribe.

billvv 08-22-2021 04:57 PM

I was unable to find the Pocket Datalog app in Google Play; it it still available and/or supported?

jdarg 08-29-2021 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by billvv (Post 6438465)
I was unable to find the Pocket Datalog app in Google Play; it it still available and/or supported?

I've actually been working in this again since I've wrapped up a couple other OT projects. I never removed it from the store but Google started blocking apps built on older api versions sometime back and this is probably the issue. I need to update the api and add some additional security features before I can make it active in the store again. I don't have an ETA but hopefully in the next month or so.

liquidh8 03-01-2022 06:34 PM

Forgot about this thread, then it popped up. Any more progress on updating the API? I don't know how to do it, but this was always cool!

jdarg 03-02-2022 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by liquidh8 (Post 6458654)
Forgot about this thread, then it popped up. Any more progress on updating the API? I don't know how to do it, but this was always cool!

Hello, yes, I do have an updated version that I'll be getting back into the store once I get to a better place on another project I'm working on. Hopefully late March or April.

robertfrank 03-02-2022 07:56 AM

I've been using it with my ebl flash and its awesome. Looking forward to the new updates

liquidh8 04-26-2022 09:39 AM

Still watching this.

TTOP350 04-26-2022 11:59 AM

I'm hoping to have a little time tonight to look into this

Fred SS 10-25-2023 03:53 PM

I did not know this was available. Sure beats finding a spot to place my laptop in the car besides the floor.

Fred

billvv 10-25-2023 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Fred SS (Post 6516016)
I did not know this was available. Sure beats finding a spot to place my laptop in the car besides the floor.

Fred

Let me know if you find it on Google Play; I can't.

Fred SS 10-25-2023 08:00 PM

I could not find it either. The OP posted he is working on an update.

Fred

billvv 10-25-2023 08:43 PM

A year and a half ago.... it sounds like a project that's on the back shelf.