Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DIY PROM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/)
-   -   New to tuning and EBL-P4 (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/753897-new-tuning-ebl-p4.html)

F.I. 57 Belair 06-13-2018 09:01 AM

New to tuning and EBL-P4

Hi all. As stated I am just getting started tuning my Vortec TPI L-98 engine swap in my 86 Caprice Landau. I have the EBL installed using the 3005 bin as recommended by RBob. I need some help setting up the flags etc, I seem to recall a thread that dealt with setting things up but I can't seem to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I did test start the engine yesterday for the first time and it fired on the second crank and idled right down smooth so That battle is won.
Looking forward to getting this engine dialed in as this will be our road trip car.
Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

RBob 06-14-2018 10:11 AM

Re: New to tuning and EBL-P4

Probably the tuning with EBL thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...uning-ebl.html

Can access the calibration help document by:

Start->All Programs->EBL P4 Flash->Calibration Help

RBob.

F.I. 57 Belair 06-14-2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by RBob (Post 6228894)
Probably the tuning with EBL thread:

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-...uning-ebl.html

Can access the calibration help document by:

Start->All Programs->EBL P4 Flash->Calibration Help

RBob.

I have been looking through that thread and with almost 4,500 posts it takes a while to find use able information. I have printed the calibration help and getting started tuning documents and after studying them I am starting to get a grasp of how it all works. I was just looking for some basic getting started help on making changes. With some time and hopefully some help from the experts when I get stumped I will get it running great.
Thanks

TallTim 06-15-2018 03:55 PM

I have been going down this road for almost a year now (time permitting) and there is a lot to learn. There is no 101 that fits all. Read and re-read RBob tuning 101 articles on his website. Don't try and absorb everything, just where you are. Then read them again b/c you will not understand/absorb all what you read the first time.

There are multiple ways to deal with things so learn and try what you think is best and report your findings here if it is confusing.

You will start with watching BLM and INT. In closed loop they should act predictably. Know what predictably means. If you have *any* old sensors in your car (O2, IAC, TPS, etc) be prepared they are giving you goofy bad readings and tuning will be futile. Know how to test them to make sure they are giving good info to the EBL.

Learn how to record, playback and put EBL into learn mode and save that learn into EBL and see the improvements. EBL is awesome for that.

I have all the 4500 posts in searchable PDF format if you want it. Great for beginners like us.

Check and double check your work, one mistake can drive you crazy.

Check and double check for vac leaks. one can drive you crazy.

And let us know your progress.

BadHabit 06-16-2018 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by TallTim (Post 6229190)
I have all the 4500 posts in searchable PDF format if you want it. Great for beginners like us.

Is that something you would mind sharing with me?

New to TPI. Some experience with HP Tuners and LS based engines as well as Holley Terminator and 5.0 SBF.

Im just about to pull the trigger on the EBL for my ‘89 TPI Formula.

TallTim 06-16-2018 09:36 AM

Well pulling the trigger on the 89 is a perfect choice IMO!

PM me your email addr and I will send you a link to download the PDF it's too big to post on TGO.

F.I. 57 Belair 07-01-2018 10:57 AM

Quick question on fuel pressure. I installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator on my TPI and was wondering if I should adjust the pressure with it idling and vacuum hooked up or engine off using fuel pump jumper wire? Right now it has 37.5-38 psi at idle with vacuum hooked up and 43-44 unhooked. I have the regulator backed off all the way and 43-44 is as low as it will go when engine is off. Suggestions? I have the car almost ready to start driving and doing some learns but wanted to get the fuel pressure squared away first.
Thanks

ULTM8Z 07-01-2018 11:08 AM

Measure it with the engine running. Otherwise you're measuring essentially dead head pressure.

vacuum should be disconnected.

F.I. 57 Belair 07-01-2018 03:56 PM

Thanks, that is what I thought, just wanted to be sure. I just wish the weather was a little cooler. It is hard to get up the ambition to finish it when it is in the high 90's.

cheesehomer 11-18-2018 08:56 PM

.[/QUOTE]

Newbie to EBL and I find it confusing, why cant they post a step by step ??. What I have found and tried hasn't worked. Please send me the 4500 posts, hopefully I will get on the right track.
Thank you