Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   DIY PROM (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/)
-   -   Engine sputtered ebl (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/diy-prom/780785-engine-sputtered-ebl.html)

JJ63 04-20-2022 04:30 PM

Engine sputtered ebl

4 Attachment(s)
I was driving to work datalogging today. And for a second the car bucked. It happened at 14:51 on the attached log. I also attached my bin. I see where the problem occurred, I just don't know what the culprit is. It also has a white knock sensor from an lt1 that plugs into the ebl.

Update: Going home code 42 est came on.

Thanks.

JJ63 07-20-2022 05:51 PM

Re: Engine sputtered ebl

2 Attachment(s)
I ended replacing distributor and icm and it's been fine until today. Cruising at 50mph, engine stumbles and code 43 comes on. 42 is also on, but I had disconnected the est wire 2 days before. MPH and a few other readings went to "0" for a couple lines. It happened at 8:48, SES comes on at 8:51. Attached is bin and csv. Any help would be appreciated.

JJ63 07-20-2022 07:40 PM

Double Post

aliceempire 07-20-2022 09:46 PM

I can't currently look at your datalogs but if your cutting out on a bunch of things, I'd be looking for wiring issues. power, grounds, wire chaffing
I don't know what you mean by lt1 knock sensor that attaches to the ebl. You meant the sensor in the block or like a knock filter of some sort?
I'd also look into the ecm itself, visually look at the insides for bad solders or something. Rbob is clearly the 'go to' that I'd defer to in all ebl condition cases.

JJ63 07-21-2022 06:03 AM

I have an EBL. The knock sensor module is from a LT1 and gets attached to the ecm board. Knocks can read into the thousands.

RBob 07-21-2022 06:33 AM

Either the EBL P4 board is loose in the MEMCAL socket or the ECM is bad.

RBob.

JJ63 07-21-2022 03:56 PM

I put my old 7730 back in and no codes. I was able to push the knock module in slightly. I'll switch back to the ebl and see if it's better.

However, the car starts and runs better with the 7730. Instant starts and it stays running and there is no hiccup de-accelerating at 1,800 rpm. Is there any way to use the 7730 bin in the ebl? Everything seemed smoother.

RBob 07-21-2022 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by JJ63 (Post 6473271)
However, the car starts and runs better with the 7730. Instant starts and it stays running and there is no hiccup de-accelerating at 1,800 rpm.

Have you done any tuning with the EBL P4 system? VE learns, changes in SA, anything? If nothing, then you are missing the why and what of the EBL systems.

They are meant to allow the user to tune their engine/drive-train quickly and easily...

Not as a drop in 'chip' tune.

RBob.

JJ63 07-21-2022 07:43 PM

I've been futzing around with the ebl since March, Spark, ve tables are fne. Had to fudge PE to get to 12.7 ratio. I've burned more than a hundred chips with a prom burner over the years. It's frustrating when I pop in my old tune and it runs better.