Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Defrost Switch Wiring (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/437787-defrost-switch-wiring.html)

Titan85 08-26-2007 09:18 PM

Defrost Switch Wiring

Well, I am attempting to wire up a defrost switch in a car that did not originally have it (1987 Camaro SC). I have the switch and all the wires connectors. My problem is that I am not sure if I need some kind of relay that will turn the defrost off when it gets to hot (which I believe all cars do). I am also having problems figuring out where to wire it to the fuse box. Any thoughts on this are much appreciated. Thanks

Jza 08-28-2007 11:38 PM

Re: Defrost Switch Wiring

The timer is built into the switch itself.

Your car should have a secondary junction box near the fuse box that the defrost power wire will plug into.

If it doesn't, you can run it from the fusebox, there should be an empty socket in the corner that would normally feed that junction box.. The plug on the defrost power wire should tell you the story of where to tap into (assuming you didn't just snip it out of your doner).

Titan85 10-04-2007 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jza (Post 3447973)
The timer is built into the switch itself.

Your car should have a secondary junction box near the fuse box that the defrost power wire will plug into.

If it doesn't, you can run it from the fusebox, there should be an empty socket in the corner that would normally feed that junction box.. The plug on the defrost power wire should tell you the story of where to tap into (assuming you didn't just snip it out of your doner).

Sorry for the realy long delay on the response. Got tied up with work and other parts and finally got back to the defrost problem. I have the secondary power box and wires for the switch, but now I can't figure out if I need a defrost relay. Is the relay also built into the switch?

Thanks

micali 10-05-2007 06:04 PM

Read JZA's post:yup:

Titan85 10-05-2007 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by micali (Post 3487441)
Read JZA's post:yup:

I did read it, I am just asking if the timer and the relay are the same thing.

micali 10-05-2007 11:36 PM

From what I know, the switch, like he said, has a timer and doesn't need a relay but I could be wrong. I've not seen a relay for the defroster on my car.

I was just pointing it out in case you missed it.:thumbsup:

Titan85 10-06-2007 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by micali (Post 3487726)
From what I know, the switch, like he said, has a timer and doesn't need a relay but I could be wrong. I've not seen a relay for the defroster on my car.

I was just pointing it out in case you missed it.:thumbsup:

Ok, it makes sense that there would be no relay because I can't see anywhere it would be.

I had a look at it and ran into another problem. I am not quite sure how to wire it and I can't find it on any wiring diagrams. I have one large purple wire that I hooked up to the wire that runs to the back which left a large orange with black stripe wire that I am guessing is the power wire and on thin pink wire. What do these wires go to?

Thanks again