Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/)
-   -   total battery drain???? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/573983-total-battery-drain.html)

cns_upholstery 05-25-2010 09:21 PM

total battery drain????

I bought a 92 z28 and swapped out the 305 for a 350 L98 out of a 91 iroc. now when i run the car it drains the battery out whenever i hit the turn signals or any of the lights. it drains it so low that the car starts running rough and shuts off. i know the alternator is good. im not an electrical guy, if anybody knows about this please let me know what i should do. thanx

Tank91RS 05-25-2010 10:59 PM

Re: total battery drain????

Originally Posted by cns_upholstery (Post 4557282)
I bought a 92 z28 and swapped out the 305 for a 350 L98 out of a 91 iroc. now when i run the car it drains the battery out whenever i hit the turn signals or any of the lights. it drains it so low that the car starts running rough and shuts off. i know the alternator is good. im not an electrical guy, if anybody knows about this please let me know what i should do. thanx

Ahh! Same problem im having, minus the swap. Still orginal 305 in a 91. new alternator and battery. Drains all the way out with any addition electronics activated (turn signal, fan((toggle switch)), radio..etc)

Please someone help because today i actually took it to a...friend who is sum what of an electrical genius. yea...aparently hes not that smart because my car didnt make it back to my house. :doh:

travis401 05-26-2010 12:23 AM

Re: total battery drain????

Maybe a short allowing the current to drain to the body?

NINÅ 05-26-2010 11:12 AM

All Alts Work Good Over 150 MPH

Originally Posted by cns_upholstery
…….it drains the battery out whenever i hit the turn signals or any of the lights…….

Does the problem occur at idle only, or even if you are holding the PPM at least 1200.

If it’s the former, it’s not a problem.

If your turn signals or other lights were the problem you would be blowing fuses.

Happy Racing!

I Hit The Water Barrels Because My Car Was Dirty

Tank91RS 05-27-2010 04:49 PM

Re: All Alts Work Good Over 150 MPH

My car will drain will driving, the volt meter just slowly drops. If you flip on the blinkers it will drop a volt untill it is flipped back off. I know this isnt the problem, but its just an example to show that my car isn't charging or holding a charge like it should.

travis401 05-27-2010 06:32 PM

Have you had the alt tested? Just because its new, doesnt mean it cant be bad.

cns_upholstery 05-28-2010 08:03 PM

i just checked my alt again yesterday and found out that i had forgot 2 run a hot wire to the alt. duhhh. after i ran that wire it worked like a champ. 12v with the car off and about 15v when its running which is supposedly normal. thanks for the replies guys

S-chargedIroc 05-28-2010 08:48 PM

I have an 87 Iroc and have had the same problem for years now....I think the only way i may solve this is to buy a 140 amp alternator. I hear FAST makes one for your vehicle...I have a brand new Optima battery and good grounds...So i am also confused myself..SOrry i couldnt be of more help.