Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/)
-   -   ACC, fog lights, and power windows issues (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/684274-acc-fog-lights-power.html)

wgripp 07-06-2013 02:31 PM

ACC, fog lights, and power windows issues

Allight, so....

I just worked on my interior. I replaced the power window motors, power window switches, and added a double din radio.

Now that the dust has settled...

On the power windows.... I installed NOS (or reproduction?) black switches from an earlier bird. (I got the switches from Hawk's.) For the most part, they work. The switches will sometimes stick in the down or in the up position. I'm assuming this problem with go away as the plastic breaks in. Also, yesterday, the right window was working fine, but the left window stopped working. It was stuck until I restarted the car. Today, the right window would not work (but the left window did), until I restarted the car. Is this an issue caused by the switches needing to break in? Or, is there another gremlin I need to hunt down?

Also, my fog lights do not work. The switch lights up when I press it. However, the lights will not come on. Any idea as to what could be broken?

Finally, my ACC fuse keeps blowing. As a result, I've lost my power antenna, horn, and power trunk popper. (At least, I think the trunk popper is tied to the ACC fuse.) I heard this is often caused by the cigarette lighter power socket going bad. With the ACC fuse blown, when I run a multimeter on the positive and negative terminals of the cigarette lighter (without unplugging it from the rest of the car), it tells me its shorted out. Does this mean that the cigarette lighter itself is the cause of the short? Or, because the cigarette lighter is still plugged into the rest of the car, could I be detecting a short elsewhere? I'd rather not tear apart the center console if I don't have to.

Where can I buy a replacement cigarette lighter power port?

Thanks for the help guys!
Bill

wgripp 07-07-2013 07:26 PM

Re: ACC, fog lights, and power windows issues

The bulbs that light up my gear indicator on the center console (PRNODD12) and the glovebox storage compartment in my center console are also not working.

6SIX6 07-08-2013 02:27 PM

Easiest way to see what it effects is to replace the fuse and see what happens

Check the power block under the driver kick panel where the wiring goes to for the accessories. I assume you used the stock wiring to wire the windows?

I know the windows , lock , hatch and a few other things plug into there. Process of elimination is your friend at this point to find the issue

NINÅ 07-08-2013 04:41 PM

Stick Shift

You can get rid of the stickiness from the switches by using a contact cleaner with lubricant.

Originally Posted by wgripp
It was stuck until I restarted the car.

Sounds like they need the higher voltage of when the engine is running.

You can find out if the switches are the problem of intermittent operation by connecting a small light bulb to the output of the switches.

Now, when the window fails to move, observe if the bulb is illuminated.

If yes, the switch is good.

The only surefire way to make sure the lighter isn’t shorted is to disconnect the
+ wire before you check it with the ohmmeter.

Driving In London:
Fog Lights
Make sure there is continuity where the purple wire from the fog relay goes in and out of the firewall connector.

Happy Racing!

Spin Me This Week . . . I’ll Spin You Next Week

GRANDZINGA 07-08-2013 06:08 PM

In some cases it is the window regulator that is the real issue in smooth operation. They often need done along with the motor.

Take the fog lights out and check where the ground wires hook up to the fog light body. Check for loose or corroded connections. Also have you looked at the condition of the fog light bulbs?

wgripp 07-12-2013 03:46 AM

Thanks for your help guys. I replaced the fuse and it burned out. Yes, I used the stock wiring for the windows.

Where do I apply the contact cleaner with lubricant to the switches? I dont want it to dork up the plastic.

Where does the purple wire from the fog light relay go in and out of the firewall? Driver's side? Passenger side?

Finally, where do the fog lights ground?

Thanks again for your help!
Bill

NINÅ 07-15-2013 04:50 PM

Ground Found

Originally Posted by wgripp
Where do I apply the contact cleaner with lubricant

You can remove the switches so you won’t get the cleaner where you don’t want it.

Driving In London:
Fog Lights

The
purple wire at the firewall connector (that connector is know as C100) at pin C3, which is the 3rd row down, and three in towards the center of the connector.

C100 is located on the left side of the firewall below the relay bracket.

You’ll know you’ve got the correct
purple wire when you see an unused socket next to it, and a gray wire next to that.

The fog ground wires are located behind the headlights.

Happy Racing!

I Never Fight In The Pits . . . . . . . . . My Pit Crew Does That For Me

wgripp 07-20-2013 11:31 AM

Re: Ground Found

Going to look at the fog light wiring now. What kind of cleaner/lubricant do you reccomend that is paint and plastic safe? All I found in the auto parts store was quick disconnect contact cleaner. Good stuff, but doesn't lubricate.

Thanks!
Bill

NINÅ 07-22-2013 05:00 PM

Ground Found

Might be difficult to find a great cleaner that won’t change the appearance of plastic, therefore use the QD cleaner you found.

If the switches were so dirty the dirt caused the stickiness, the cleaner is all you need.

If they are still sticky lubricate with WD40 or equivalent.

Happy Racing!

Even Tho I Might Destroy The Car During The Race, At Least It Looks Gorgeous At The Start

wgripp 07-28-2013 09:43 AM

The contact cleaner looks like it can only be used on the bottom of the switch. That's where the blade connectors are. I dont want to spray WD-40 on the surface of the switches, because I don't want that feeling on my fingers. I picked up some silicone spray today. I figure that might work better. I hope the silicone doesn't gum up the switches though.

wgripp 08-02-2013 03:59 PM

Update:

Some of this has been resolved. The fog lights are still not operable.

However, I found the cause of the short in my ACC fuse. My cigarette lighter power port (not the cigarette lighter itself, I don't have one of those) is shorted out. After I unplugged it, the fuse stopped blowing and the operation of my map lights (the lights on the underside of my rearview mirror), the glove box light, and my horn were restored. When I reconnect my radio, I assume my power antenna will start working again.

I am not sure if it was on the same circut, but the bulb that lights up the PRNODD12 indicator for my automatic transmission did not work along with the horn, glovebox light, etc. It turns out the bulb was blown. I replaced it with an LED from superbrightLEDS.com, and it works!

Also, I figured out the issue with my sticking power window switches. (However, I am not sure if this is also the issue that is causing me to need to restart the car to get them to work sometimes.) I had my center console refinished in black interior paint to remove the "Tron" pattern. The paint adhered to the inside edges of the holes for the power window switches. This made the holes narrower. The left/right pressure from the smaller holes is causing the switches to stick in the down and up positions. I am going to have the sides of the holes slightly sanded to give the switches more "breathing room."

Unfortunately, in the process of trying to repair the switches, I sprayed the bottom of the switches with Quick Disconnect Contact Cleaner (that is supposedly plastic safe) and the top (moving part) of the switches with silicone (in an attempt to lubricate them). I'm not sure if it was the contact cleaner or the silicone (my money is on the silicone), but it etched/clouded the plastic. BAM! Almost brand-new $60 Hawk's switches SCREWED UP.

However, I am thankful to the LORD that I was able to resolve most of my problems.

Right now the GTA is in the shop for a surging at idle. Apparently, the engine is also only operating in "open loop" and won't go into "closed loop." The surge only happens after the engine is warmed up. The mechanic just replaced the valve seals. (This problem existed BEFORE he replaced the valve seals.) He also cleaned the IAC valve and the throttle body. With the engine in "open loop," it is not throwing any codes. Any thoughts?

Thank you for all of your help, and I praise God that this project is moving forward!
Bill