Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/)
-   -   84 camaro gauge cluster wiring nightmare (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/718051-84-camaro-gauge-cluster.html)

Jk_Under 04-19-2015 08:33 PM

84 camaro gauge cluster wiring nightmare

Hey everyone, I picked up a 84 camaro v6 5 speed pretty cheap. I got it running right just by replacing the ignition coil. The only thing keeping me from getting it inspected is the gauges are all messed up. The gauges are the digital gauges, the temp,oil,and volts stay all the way in the red. Both blinkers stay on(not flashing), but outside the blinkers are off, they work properly while trying to turn but just not on the cluster. Also my speedo isn't working, the gas Hague works fine. Where should I start looking?

JamesC 04-20-2015 06:57 AM

Re: 84 camaro gauge cluster wiring nightmare

Originally Posted by Jk_Under (Post 5905475)
The gauges are the digital gauge..

Is the car a Berlinetta?

JamesC

jcat 04-26-2015 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jk_Under (Post 5905475)
Hey everyone, I picked up a 84 camaro v6 5 speed pretty cheap. I got it running right just by replacing the ignition coil. The only thing keeping me from getting it inspected is the gauges are all messed up. The gauges are the digital gauges, the temp,oil,and volts stay all the way in the red. Both blinkers stay on(not flashing), but outside the blinkers are off, they work properly while trying to turn but just not on the cluster. Also my speedo isn't working, the gas Hague works fine. Where should I start looking?

so the dash is analog temp/oil/volts ?
speed is digital or all is digital ?

both dash directional stay on but exterior lamps off ?
sounds like a ground problem. explain what you have exactly on vehicle as these came in these years with very different wiring/relay circuits.

I do have some wiring diagrams.
If this is some hacked aftermarket job good luck.

Jk_Under 04-27-2015 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by jcat (Post 5908499)
so the dash is analog temp/oil/volts ?
speed is digital or all is digital ?

both dash directional stay on but exterior lamps off ?
sounds like a ground problem. explain what you have exactly on vehicle as these came in these years with very different wiring/relay circuits.

I do have some wiring diagrams.
If this is some hacked aftermarket job good luck.

Yea the only gauges that are analog are the speedo and the gas gauge, is there any way you could send those diagrams?

Jk_Under 04-27-2015 02:16 PM

Or do you know the ground locations?

John in RI 04-27-2015 10:38 PM

Sounds like a early "dummy light" cluster............. Does it look kinda' like this ??

http://berlinetta.info/forsale/Cluster8085mph.JPG

Kids today ! :rolleyes:

:driving:

Jk_Under 04-28-2015 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by John in RI (Post 5909064)
Sounds like a early "dummy light" cluster............. Does it look kinda' like this ??

http://berlinetta.info/forsale/Cluster8085mph.JPG

Kids today ! :rolleyes:

Gas has gallons and litres, but Yea. I'm confused though, all the wires look fine, non spliced. Hell when I press the brake my oil light goes off.

With acc on car not started the temp oil and volts stay lit up. When turned on (running) the volts light goes off. When I push the clutch or gas the oil light starts going off and on.

With headlights on both flashers stay lit until I use them then they blink.
All the wires look secure.

John in RI 04-28-2015 03:20 PM

With acc on car not started the temp oil and volts stay lit up.........
Edit -----> don't think any of those should light up when the key is in ACC. Possibly a bad printed circuit. (The 3 lights *might* light up as part of a "bulb test" - but that would be temporary after turning the key.)

When turned on (running) the volts light goes off.
Normal; Once the engine is started the oil pressure comes up and the alternator provides a full charge. Those 2 "warning" lights should go off once started,....Temp shouldn't ever be lit unless the coolant is over 235 - 250 ( or so )degrees.

When I push the clutch or gas the oil light starts going off and on.
Not sure what's up with that.

With headlights on both flashers stay lit until I use them then they blink. All the wires look secure.
Replace the light bulbs in the front parking lights and check that the fender marker light bulbs are OK. If the problem persists,... replace the rear turn signal bulbs. If all the bulbs are replaced with good ones and the problem still exists,... time to check deeper into the cluster printed circuit &/or the wiring.

Jk_Under 08-15-2015 06:25 PM

I don't understand the dummy light concept, so it's just lights behind the gauges, it don't actually give a reading. I took it apart and looked into it. So are they acting as warning lights? Like the battery light and oils pressure light?