Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/)
-   -   steering column electrical (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/759023-steering-column-electrical.html)

metalhead8711 02-10-2019 09:52 PM

steering column electrical

greetings everyone.
I recently purchased a 1989 Chevrolet Camaro RS 5.0L vin code E. ive been getting some interesting electrical problems that i cannot decide if they are related or if they are their separate issues. when i purchased the car, the gentleman informed me that his mechanic bypassed the VATS security system. the first issue is that when the vehicle is off, the right turn signal does not flash but the right does, however when i activate the emergency lights, they both flash. when the car has the engine running, all the turn signals work fine. the next issue is that there is no audible click from the flasher. the lights flash but there is no click. i bought a flasher canister and on my way home the sound came back but only intermittently. some days it would click. other days it stays silent. the third issue is that the door chime also works intermittently except then i push the ignition key further into the lock cylinder does the chime start working. im also noticing alot of noise from the radio system similar to alternator whine noises but the alternator was tested and it passed and the battery is new.
This is what i know:
1. the battery and alternator are good.
2. the VATS system is disabled. this worries me because third gen camaros and firebirds seem to attract wire butchers and im skeptical if the job was done right.
3. the battery cables have been swapped. they are not the original ones but converted for top post and the wires look too new which tells me that the whole cables have been replaced rather than just the terminals.
4. the car was originally a california car but it spent five years in colorado before it came back to cali. road salt and humid environment?
5. the turn signal lever feels loose but still cancels itself and lock cylinder appear loose but ive had other third gen camaros with the same thing and no electrical. maybe this is the exception?
I know that these seem like too many problems and i dont expect everyone to magically solve my problems but any help would be appreciated in pointing me in the right direction of any tips.

NINÅ 02-18-2019 09:33 PM

Metal 2 Metal Contact

Originally Posted by metalhead
when the vehicle is off, the right turn signal does not flash……..when the car has the engine running, all the turn signals work

Might be due to the fact the voltage is higher when running.

To find out, turn the key to RUN, but don’t start the engine.

Do both signals flash then?

no audible click from the flasher

Is it an electronic flasher?

bought a flasher canister and on my way home the sound came back but only intermittently

Is the flasher hanging free under the dash?
Might be it goes into a location which reflects less sound.

door chime also works intermittently except then i push the ignition key further into the lock cylinder does the chime start working

It can be caused by the small switch in the steering column not changing states when the key is inserted, or a bad connection going to it.

To find out, make sure the headlights are off, then connect an ohmmeter from pin B
light green wire of the Audio Alarm Assembly to ground.

The Audio Alarm Assembly is located in the ‘Convenience Center’, which is to the right of the steering column.

Keep your door open for this test.

Now insert and remove the key.

When you do that you will see the ohmmeter go to 0 when you insert the key,
then to a higher reading when the key is removed, if the switch and wiring is intact.

noise from the radio system similar to alternator whine noises but the alternator was tested and it passed

I’m not convinced when it was tested for power output, it was monitored for noise.
If you don’t have a budget for a new top of the line alt, you can try some high value capacitors across the power lines.

battery cables have been swapped

As long as there is no excessive voltage drop when starting, the cables are OK.

Happy Racing !

Funny Car Fun Fact: Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.