Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/)
-   -   clutch safety switch removal (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/759686-clutch-safety-switch-removal.html)

2mnytys 03-16-2019 04:57 PM

clutch safety switch removal

I have searched. How do you remove the switch from the bracket. It is in such a tight area you are almost working blind.
I am having the the no start just click then maybe the car will fire up.
This has has been going on for a while once in a while. But yesterday I had to get towed home.
Need to check the voltage.
1990 Gta 5 speed.

scooter 03-17-2019 10:03 PM

Re: clutch safety switch removal

On the back of the NSS there is a small metal clip that prevents it from sliding out of the bracket. It is a small hole in the middle of the two larger holes, I believe. You need to push that in then the NSS will, slide up or down, out of the bracket.

Dyno Don 03-18-2019 10:14 AM

If it clicks, it most likely is not that switch.
More like the starter solenoid or ign. switch on the column.

2mnytys 03-18-2019 10:32 AM

Thanks Don
After much reading the last few days that is also what was mention.
Key on. Fuel pump, door chime and other noises are heard. Vats light on then off. Just clicks.
I'll have to get towed to a shop for the stater/solenoid replacement, I have no way to get it up high enough to work on that.
Bob

2mnytys 03-18-2019 10:42 AM

Thanks Scooter
I 'll try that. It is in a real difficult spot.

scooter 03-18-2019 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 2mnytys (Post 6288865)
Thanks Scooter
I 'll try that. It is in a real difficult spot.

Yeah, it sucks. The switch design is also not really great.
When I did my T56 conversion I changed the path on this circuit. Since my car was auto, I left the "stock" wiring for the auto through the solenoid but I wanted a clutch safety switch. I was eliminating the VATS since I was going to an LS ECM and I was installing an aftermarket alarm. I used the NSS as a path to ground instead of the high current path like the manual transmission circuit. The alarm system is now my ground for the starter solenoid, and I have the NSS as an interrupt for that path. If the NSS isn't pressed with the alarm deactivated the car won't crank, just like GM did with the VATS. I think it is pretty slick, and the switch will likely never wear out. If this is your problem, you may want to consider doing something similar.

2mnytys 03-23-2019 12:30 PM

Well checked the safety switch. It has been bypassed sometime in the past. Opps.
Checked the VATS it is worked and the resistance is within nominal reading

Guess it is time to get the starter and solenoid changed. Not something I can do.

But I will be checking grounds first. My best friend from Seattle is coming down for a visit and volunteered to help.

2mnytys 03-30-2019 10:29 AM

delete and move

yeud619 04-01-2019 02:46 PM

To get to the clutch switch is simple slide it off you will see when you get under it. I bypassed mine and still will not make a noise?

yeud619 04-01-2019 02:47 PM

I am not getting back power to the s part of my starter.???