Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Electronics (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/)
-   -   Alternator????? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/electronics/761020-alternator.html)

dmyruski 05-09-2019 05:24 AM

Alternator?????

Short version: 92 Z-28 305TPI, It will start but then stall out after 30-45 seconds or if I press the throttle. I had a battery charger hooked up and the key on when I heard a very slight Humming / ringing noise in the engine compartment. Found it was coming from the alternator. I unplugged it and she runs. Had a little hesatstion but probably needs to clean itself out. While running I plugged the alternator back in and she stalls instantly. I assume the alternator is back feeding and I think maybe messing with the fuel pump or injectors. Anyone ever have this happen or idea of what's actually happening? Is it a simple change the alternator or could there be an underlying problem.

I put a new A C Delco alternator on 3-4 years ago.

OrangeBird 05-10-2019 11:09 AM

Re: Alternator?????

Originally Posted by dmyruski (Post 6300717)
Short version: 92 Z-28 305TPI, It will start but then stall out after 30-45 seconds or if I press the throttle. I had a battery charger hooked up and the key on when I heard a very slight Humming / ringing noise in the engine compartment. Found it was coming from the alternator. I unplugged it and she runs. Had a little hesatstion but probably needs to clean itself out. While running I plugged the alternator back in and she stalls instantly. I assume the alternator is back feeding and I think maybe messing with the fuel pump or injectors. Anyone ever have this happen or idea of what's actually happening? Is it a simple change the alternator or could there be an underlying problem.

;) The "humming/ringing" noise in the alternator with the battery charger hooked up to the battery is a classic telltale of shorted diodes in the alternator . An alternator , as it's name implies , generates AC power , which must then be rectified into DC power by a network of diodes in order to charge your battery and play nice with all the other DC devices in your car . The shorted diode(s)* not only allow the crude DC (unfiltered with lots of "ripple") of the battery charger to ring the stator coil(s) when the car is off and your trying to charge the battery , those same shorted diodes also put an unfiltered AC artifact on to your supposed to be pure DC system when your car is running . And in your case your ECM doesn't sound like it's appreciating running on the amount of AC your alternator is putting out , hence the car running OK when you pull the plug and stop the alternator's output .

*Could be one or more , the alternator puts out "3 Phase" AC which is rectified into DC by a set of 6 Diodes , three positive going and three negative going , usually with a final "protection" diode on better built units bringing the total to 7 .

GeneralDisorder 05-10-2019 11:59 AM

Unfortunately the AC Delco units are made in China now like everything else. And Powermaster is complete garbage also. Don't get burned by them like the rest of us - I'm down 2 starters and 2 alternators from those jokers. Made in USA - LOL. No they are "assembled" (probably by the blind - nice of them to employ the disabled), from CHEEEEEP Chinese imported components. My last Powermaster was "ringing" with the key off also. Both of their XS Volt alternators I've had died within months. Fortunately I run an Odyssey battery and it just took the abuse like a champ.

We get all our alternators from DC Power Engineering in CA. Check them out. Their online catalog is terrible though so you need to call them:

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/

Bonus - you can have the alt anodized any color you like. Takes about 5-6 weeks to get one though.

GD

OrangeBird 05-12-2019 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by dmyruski (Post 6300717)

When people take the time to make a post answering your question , a Thank You may be in order . I have a longstanding policy of never replying again to someone who can't be bothered to say Thank You when I've provided the answer they were looking for .

Good luck and good bye dmruski :(

dmyruski 05-12-2019 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird (Post 6301474)
When people take the time to make a post answering your question , a Thank You may be in order . I have a longstanding policy of never replying again to someone who can't be bothered to say Thank You when I've provided the answer they were looking for .

Good luck and good bye dmruski :(

You are 100% Correct. I truely do appreciate everyone's input. I cross posted this on another Z-28 forum, and though I put a a thank you out on both but I guess I was mistaken. So thank you all for the input. I had the Powermaster ordered with prime so I was able to make a car show this weekend, however I wrote down the information you guys provided so I can upgrade when this one craps out. So sorry again and thank you all very much.

OrangeBird 05-12-2019 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by dmyruski (Post 6301512)
You are 100% Correct. I truely do appreciate everyone's input. I cross posted this on another Z-28 forum, and though I put a a thank you out on both but I guess I was mistaken. So thank you all for the input. I had the Powermaster ordered with prime so I was able to make a car show this weekend, however I wrote down the information you guys provided so I can upgrade when this one craps out. So sorry again and thank you all very much.

Cool dude , I appreciate that !

The reason it bothers me when people don't say thank you is that I consider all third gen owners brothers of a sort (or sisters too , Kin if you will) . We are all we have , the rest of the world thinks we're nuts :D

GeneralDisorder 05-12-2019 11:06 AM

The information is helpful to me also. I'm going to take this Powermaster unit I have apart and show everyone the quality of their product. Thanks!

GD

OrangeBird 05-13-2019 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder (Post 6301639)
The information is helpful to me also. I'm going to take this Powermaster unit I have apart and show everyone the quality of their product. Thanks!

GD

:thumbsup: I will be interested to see your findings , I loved your 700R4 thread where you showed pics of the failed parts .

IROCZ1989 05-16-2019 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder (Post 6301018)
Unfortunately the AC Delco units are made in China now like everything else. And Powermaster is complete garbage also. Don't get burned by them like the rest of us - I'm down 2 starters and 2 alternators from those jokers. Made in USA - LOL. No they are "assembled" (probably by the blind - nice of them to employ the disabled), from CHEEEEEP Chinese imported components. My last Powermaster was "ringing" with the key off also. Both of their XS Volt alternators I've had died within months. Fortunately I run an Odyssey battery and it just took the abuse like a champ.

We get all our alternators from DC Power Engineering in CA. Check them out. Their online catalog is terrible though so you need to call them:

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/

Bonus - you can have the alt anodized any color you like. Takes about 5-6 weeks to get one though.

GD

Mechman makes them as well. They both make nice units to replace the CS130. Price isnt for the bargain buyer though.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.thi...6d937a7e1d.jpg

dmyruski 05-16-2019 01:49 PM

Update:
Put the new alternator in Last Friday. Humming is gone but the car still won't run right. It will stay at an idol but any throttle and she dies. I need to stop by my dad's and grab my fuel pressure set but I just put in a brand new Walbro 255. Only about 20 miles on the pump. Anyone have any issues with them? Their supposed to be a good fuel pump but then again I always thought Powermaster made good alternators.

GeneralDisorder 05-16-2019 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by dmyruski (Post 6302442)
Update:
Put the new alternator in Last Friday. Humming is gone but the car still won't run right. It will stay at an idol but any throttle and she dies. I need to stop by my dad's and grab my fuel pressure set but I just put in a brand new Walbro 255. Only about 20 miles on the pump. Anyone have any issues with them? Their supposed to be a good fuel pump but then again I always thought Powermaster made good alternators.

Walbro's are usually ok. Loud, but they only rarely fail.

GD

dmyruski 05-16-2019 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder (Post 6302444)
Walbro's are usually ok. Loud, but they only rarely fail.

GD

That was my impression of them. And ultimately the reason I chose it. Guess only the pressure test will tell.

GeneralDisorder 05-16-2019 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by dmyruski (Post 6302446)
That was my impression of them. And ultimately the reason I chose it. Guess only the pressure test will tell.

Last time I thought I might be on a failed Walbro job it was poorly installed by the owner and the hose had popped off the pump or ruptured. Make sure you use submersible fuel line. LOL.

GD

dmyruski 05-16-2019 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by GeneralDisorder (Post 6302447)
Last time I thought I might be on a failed Walbro job it was poorly installed by the owner and the hose had popped off the pump or ruptured. Make sure you use submersible fuel line. LOL.

GD

Pump is good. 45 psi at Idol with the regulator unhooked. Any suggestions anyone???? Idols good for about 30 seconds then surge/dips and if at any point I give it throttle she dies. TPS, MAP both tested good.

IROCZ1989 05-16-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by dmyruski (Post 6302463)
Pump is good. 45 psi at Idol with the regulator unhooked. Any suggestions anyone???? Idols good for about 30 seconds then surge/dips and if at any point I give it throttle she dies. TPS, MAP both tested good.

Bad 02?

dmyruski 05-17-2019 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by IROCZ1989 (Post 6302465)
Bad 02?

I think they run in open loop untill warmup so in theory it should not affect anything untill warmed up. I may be wrong but usually with a bad O2 you just get bad fuel milage maybe small runnability issues. I would also think I should have a CEL if it we're a sensor. But I guess it can't hurt to check. Thanks.

IROCZ1989 05-17-2019 07:11 AM

Did you check the iac?

dmyruski 05-17-2019 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by IROCZ1989 (Post 6302524)
Did you check the iac?

IAC controls the idol. The symptoms would be opposite if that was the problem. It would run with the throttle but not idol. I was thinking maybe the CTS (coolant temp sensor). I know they would go bad in the TBI trucks and cause all kinds of runnability issues. Anyone see/hear of this on the TPI?

GeneralDisorder 05-17-2019 10:41 AM

Check the live data. CTS is a possibility.

GD