Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Engine/Drivetrain/Suspension Parts for Sale (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-drivetrain-suspension-parts/)
-   -   wtb distributor and coil (small or remote coil) (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-drivetrain-suspension-parts/710154-wtb-distributor-coil-small.html)

rithsleeper 10-19-2014 09:35 PM

wtb distributor and coil (small or remote coil)

Looks like I can't use my stock hei unit (off my 89 corevette) with the stealth ram. Just wedges right against it. I am past maxing my budget on this engine and it is gone into the relm of fiscal irresponsibility. No really... Its bad. However I've given up and just need it done now to drive at Daytona in a few weeks.*

Anyone have something I can buy and drop in? I can't spend $300 on a whole new ignition.... It does have to hold up to me abusing it in a few weeks. 7000 rpm road course and lots of heat. Let me know what you have and what you want for it. I have to get it by the end of the week to start tuning.

Badass355ciz28 10-19-2014 10:33 PM

Re: wtb distributor and coil (small or remote coil)

1 Attachment(s)
I have this distributor which is brand new still in the box. To be used with an msd or Mallory type ignition. 70.00 shipped

rithsleeper 10-20-2014 05:47 AM

I think that is what I need. Is that a hei remote coil with magnetic pickups? I'm glad to see no vacuum advance. When you say mad/Mallory ignition do you mean the 6a box? Could I just get a remote coil for it and go or do I need the box? Could you send me your paypal and part number so I can reference it but I will send money asap so you can ship to me asap andI get it asap.

Thanks for the quick response.

Badass355ciz28 10-20-2014 11:05 AM

needs to be used with an MSD box and remote coil . the distributor Has a two wire connector just like the msd ones My paypal is Badass355ciz28@aol.com if interested

rithsleeper 10-20-2014 11:34 AM

If I have to buy a coil and a box that might put the price way above what would be doable. The boxes just make a multi spark I thought. I know I would need a coil but a box also? I can't find a reference to that anywhere on msd's sight. Could you link it to me?

Badass355ciz28 10-20-2014 08:21 PM

You can get a used msd box and coil pretty cheap. See them all the time for sale

heat seeker 10-20-2014 08:53 PM

I used my OEM unit with my HSR for ten years......you must be doing something wrong.

Badass355ciz28 10-20-2014 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by heat seeker (Post 5832597)
I used my OEM unit with my HSR for ten years......you must be doing something wrong.

he may have a large cap hei setup though?

rithsleeper 10-20-2014 09:57 PM

The car is a 89 corvette so my hei setup has the coil in the cap. I think I'm just going to go with a Camaro setup. I had no idea you guys had a remote coil setup that would work for me. I am just going to get a dist and coil from advanced for about $150. I will have to upgrade later. Just don't have the time to find a deal on a box and coil right now but over the winter I can take my time. I have to be tuning the car by end of the weekend which is a huge stretch.

When I talked to msd they said the two wire setup would be best but would require The box and coil and a serious rewire. One more thing I just can't try figuring out right now.

Thanks for input all and I might have to get that dist off you later down the road.

heat seeker 10-21-2014 12:00 AM

Didn't realized they were using the large cap in 89.....thought it was earlier models. Must be a corvette thing!

Badass355ciz28 10-21-2014 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by heat seeker (Post 5832654)
Didn't realized they were using the large cap in 89.....thought it was earlier models. Must be a corvette thing!

who knows should be a small cap on those too......

rithsleeper 10-21-2014 08:21 PM

The coil isn't remote. It is mounted inside the cap. Same cap is used till they started optispark in 92 with lt1.

Badass355ciz28 10-21-2014 08:25 PM

My Holley stealth ram uses a small cap distributor and the coil is not in the cap.

heat seeker 10-21-2014 11:12 PM

Same here.....