Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Engine Swap (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-swap/)
-   -   350ho swap from 305 tbi (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-swap/281933-350ho-swap-305-tbi.html)

kammi10 03-03-2005 09:12 PM

350ho swap from 305 tbi

ok so i plan on puttin a new engine in the car and i can get a brand new 350ho for a really good deal and i want to know what all i am going to have to do to get it to work and in the car?

ShiftyCapone 03-04-2005 06:00 AM

Re: 350ho swap from 305 tbi

Originally posted by kammi10
ok so i plan on puttin a new engine in the car and i can get a brand new 350ho for a really good deal and i want to know what all i am going to have to do to get it to work and in the car?
You will need the same parts as any 305 to 350 TBI. You will need a 350 knock sensor, ECS module and injectors. You will also need a vortec style intake with an adapter plate for your TBI. That is unless you get the GM vortec TBI intake. Last but not least is chip work. That will determin how fast your new set-up will really go. Without it you are dead in the water.

kammi10 03-04-2005 08:07 AM

when i get this engine it is already set up for carb so i will probobly just leave it carb and ditch the tbi for a while. then do the ultimate tbi mods to it and them possibly put it back on.
will i still need everything but the injectors?

ShiftyCapone 03-04-2005 08:10 AM

Originally posted by kammi10
when i get this engine it is already set up for carb so i will probobly just leave it carb and ditch the tbi for a while. then do the ultimate tbi mods to it and them possibly put it back on.
will i still need everything but the injectors?

Oh ok you got the 330 HO delux. I thought you purchased the 330 HO shgortblock. Read the tech article on swapping to carb. It will tell you exactly what you need.

kammi10 03-04-2005 08:25 AM

thanks a lot shifty

RB83L69 03-04-2005 08:46 AM

leave it carb and ditch the tbi for a while
Bad idea....

The engine isn't "set up for carb", especially; at most, it just has a carb intake on it. Rather, the car is set up for TBI.

That's ALOT of stuff. To set it up for carb, you'd have to buy a carb, buy a distributor, bypass the fuel pump relay control system and buy a regulator or remove the TBI pump from the tank and install a mechanical pump for a carb, and do something about the torque converter lockup. Far far more work and expense and opportunity for malfunctions than slapping an adapter on a 4-barrel intake and putting the TBI back like it was except with 350 injectors, and re-programming it.

In short: swapping to carb is NOT the cheaper easier way to go.

kammi10 03-04-2005 11:26 AM

if the engine is not set up for carb then how come it comes complete. its crate motor ready to drop in.

five7kid 03-04-2005 11:41 AM

Don't do carb if you intend to do TBI someday. Just get the basic 350 HO and put TBI on it right now.

kammi10 03-04-2005 11:49 AM

you see im still not sure if i am every goign to go back to tbi. i mibght just run carb for a year until i get a stealth ram or mini ram or something along that line.

so far i will need a new knock sensor, new fuel pump, fix the converter lock up and then what else?

RB83L69 03-04-2005 11:51 AM

Because there's nothing there to "set up" for carb. It's "set up" for TBI to exactly the same extent it's "set up" for a carb.

If it comes with a 4-barrel intake, all you have to do to completely "set it up for TBI", is put a $30 adapter on top of it. If you don't want to use an adapter, then buy a $200 TBI/Vortec intake.

It's still only about 1/3 the cost of a carb swap, and a tiny tiny fraction of the trouble. No hacking, no rewiring, no dropping the gas tank, no hacking.... did I mention, you don't have to hack your car? That makes it kind of attractive, don't you think?

I suggest, if you don't know what you're going to do with the car and whatever you do you might change later, do as little as possible to it now.

Put the TBI back on it. Hacking it up to switch it to carb, only to switch it again later, is a waste of money and effort.

And did I mention, you don't have to hack your car, if you put it back like it was? Drive in, drive out, done. Get your MiniRam later, and save up the money you would have spent on a carb, toward that.