Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Engine Swap (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-swap/)
-   -   Can a 3rd Gen's Engine Cradle be dropped like a 4th Gens? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-swap/432520-can-3rd-gens-engine.html)

Arctic White 91 RS 07-21-2007 07:45 PM

Can a 3rd Gen's Engine Cradle be dropped like a 4th Gens?

On 4th Gen's it's possible to drop the K-member and engine all at once as a unit after the wiring harness etc is disconnected. Can a 3rd Gen have the engine pulled this way?

I would appreciate input.

Thanks.

Kevman 07-21-2007 07:52 PM

Re: Can a 3rd Gen's Engine Cradle be dropped like a 4th Gens?

It's easier to do it from the top, isn't it? But I'd imagine so, But it would be a pain in the ***...

MattODoom 07-21-2007 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Arctic White 91 RS (Post 3406109)

On 4th Gen's it's possible to drop the K-member and engine all at once as a unit after the wiring harness etc is disconnected. Can a 3rd Gen have the engine pulled this way?

I would appreciate input.

Thanks.

You will have to undo your struts either up top or at the spindle. If you undo them up top there goes your alignment. Basically itll look like this but with an engine on it:

http://www.mattodoom.com/newta/7-9-07/IMG_1253.JPG

Youll also have to undo your steering linkage to get it out. And probably cut your front brake lines. Overall, a waste of time when it comes out real easy from the top.

Arctic White 91 RS 07-22-2007 12:00 PM

I understand that but when, I do the LS1/A4 swap, the car will be getting a new K-member, new struts and new springs. All of that stuff is being replaced anyway. The brakes front and rear are being switched over to an LS1 set up. The rear end will also be replaced.

For my application, would it be worth dropping the cradle?

I agree for engine only it's a waste of time.

socal 07-22-2007 07:25 PM

when we did ours l98/a4 to ls2/t56 we pulled the motor and trans from the top as well as put the new one in from the top. looking at them both the ls is wider but shorter but i think both will get hung up on the frame around the valve cover area. I wouln'd recomend it

Apeiron 07-22-2007 09:01 PM

I'd rather lift a 500 lb engine than a 1500 lb car.

JeremyNYR 08-06-2007 07:40 PM

to answer your question, yes you can drop the 3rd gen cradle similarly to how you can in 4th gens. The main difference is that the 4th gens have coilovers and the 3rd gens don't. so you have to remove the front springs in your 3rd gen before detaching the k-member from the body. Also, you remove your struts from the strut mounts when removing the springs... the strut mounts can stay installed. The only reason your alignment would change is due to the change in weight from one drivetrain to the other. I can give you a step-by-step if you needed more info than that. Good luck with the project

jtmiller92 08-08-2007 10:52 PM

Yep, I had my old K-member out when I did my swap. My main reason was because everything was already out from painting the engine bay and I didnt want to risk scratching anything up. I placed my LS1/T56 on a creeper and slid it under the car then raised it into position. Made it very easy to install as one unit. If the trans is still bolted to the engine they can be a pain to drop from the top on the thirdgens especially if your trying not to scratch anything. Not to mention I installed it with all the acessories still mounted.

hgffrank 08-08-2007 11:11 PM

If your replacing the K-member, engine, and suspension then yes it would definitely be worth it as long as the engine clears, which others are saying it will.