Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Engine Swap (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-swap/)
-   -   what don't i need under the hood? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-swap/657495-what-dont-i-need.html)

V8Broski 07-19-2012 10:11 PM

what don't i need under the hood?

when i put my new engine in, what can i loose? what don't i need? the only thing i want to keep is A/C and i already have plans to dump the smog emissions stuff. i just want to see more of the engine, any advice will be helpful. Thanks

NathanLewis 07-19-2012 11:15 PM

Re: what don't i need under the hood?

Lose all of the emissions stuff, you don't need it UNLESS you live in california.

If your going carbureted, you can lose all of the right side ecu harnesses, don't hack them, just pull them out neatly.

V8Broski 07-19-2012 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by NathanLewis (Post 5331838)
Lose all of the emissions stuff, you don't need it UNLESS you live in california.

If your going carbureted, you can lose all of the right side ecu harnesses, don't hack them, just pull them out neatly.

ok Thanks and im not sure if im gonna go Carb or TPI or leave it TBI

NathanLewis 07-20-2012 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by V8Broski (Post 5331844)
ok Thanks and im not sure if im gonna go Carb or TPI or leave it TBI

Leave it TBI, if you want to clean up the wires, use looms. Will look a little better.

five7kid 07-20-2012 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by NathanLewis (Post 5331838)

Technically, since emissions laws are Federal, you have to leave it all on in order to drive it on the street.

Technically...

88gunmetalgta 07-20-2012 01:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The accessory setup takes a lot of attention away from the engine itself. Also, you have to try and make the wires disappear. I used Techflex brand braided sleeving that pretty much just disappears. Also, the stock valve covers are kinda an eyesore under the hood IMO.

Attachment 365192

Tell me the wiring harness doesn't blend right in :D

NathanLewis 07-22-2012 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by five7kid (Post 5331893)
Technically, since emissions laws are Federal, you have to leave it all on in order to drive it on the street.

Technically...

Yeah, but no one really cares when it comes to a car this old..

jchaussee 07-22-2012 10:56 PM

Somebody in the carb section moved all wires to drivers side. Looks cleanas hell

Blade09 07-23-2012 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by NathanLewis (Post 5334128)
Yeah, but no one really cares when it comes to a car this old..

He was just being 'technical' :lmao:

Someone has to say that it is technically (need another word for technically lol) illegal. Although that never seems to stop anyone.

evo-offer 07-23-2012 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 88gunmetalgta (Post 5331897)
The accessory setup takes a lot of attention away from the engine itself. Also, you have to try and make the wires disappear. I used Techflex brand braided sleeving that pretty much just disappears. Also, the stock valve covers are kinda an eyesore under the hood IMO.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...7/2316608a.jpg

Tell me the wiring harness doesn't blend right in :D

little of topic but do you use a serpentine belt for only waterpump and alternator?

NathanLewis 07-23-2012 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Blade09 (Post 5334354)
He was just being 'technical' :lmao:

Someone has to say that it is technically (need another word for technically lol) illegal. Although that never seems to stop anyone.

I know what he meant, And he's right, they didn't put the emissions stuff on there for no reason, but i live in a state where no one cares (yet).