Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Engine Swap (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-swap/)
-   -   Any suggestions on starting with carb that has no choke? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/engine-swap/757548-any-suggestions-starting-carb.html)

atikovi 11-25-2018 02:03 PM

Any suggestions on starting with carb that has no choke?

Just bought a modified '88 with what looks like a small block, mid rise intake and Holley carb without choke. At 60 degrees it will start pretty easy and stay running if I tap dance on the accelerator for 15-30 seconds while it warms up. At 40 it takes 3 or 4 tries to keep it running and a minute to warm up enough that it won't stall if take my foot off the gas. Any tips for colder weather starts, not that I will drive very often when it's so cold. Or is this pretty much what you have to do on a carb without a choke.

butchc 11-26-2018 12:13 PM

Re: Any suggestions on starting with carb that has no choke?

A good lesson for you in what the ECM is doing for your modern engine with no driver inputs whatsoever. Even with a choke starting an aftermarket Holley carburetor equipped car in cold weather is more than turning the key and no there is nothing you can do to it to make it a foot off the pedal, start it and drive away deal. Single plane or two plane manifold? Single plane plane and cold weather dont play well. If dual plane does the manifold have heat riser passages or are they blocked off? If blocked that makes cold running even more tedious. There was a reason for the heat riser valve in the exhaust manifold and passages in the factory dual plane intakes back in the day. It would work better if you find a Holly with a choke and fast idle cam. If a manual choke cable isn't your thing Hollly used to have electric automatic choke models also but been many years since I have fooled with such. WIthout a choke you are stuck using the carburetor's accelerator pump as your cold starting aid. Pump the throttle pedal 2-3 times, more as it gets colder, start it, feather it to keep it going. If you cant stand to let it warm up you take off, and two foot the pedals if automatic or if manual trans you brake with your heal while keeping it running with your toe on the go pedal. There just is no way around it.

atikovi 11-27-2018 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by butchc (Post 6264805)
WIthout a choke you are stuck using the carburetor's accelerator pump as your cold starting aid. Pump the throttle pedal 2-3 times, more as it gets colder, start it, feather it to keep it going. If you cant stand to let it warm up you take off, and two foot the pedals if automatic

I'll post a pic of the carb and intake but that is what I though. Two footing the pedals I remember from the good old days of carburated cars but which had nothing to do with a lack of a choke. How we have been spoiled by modern fuel injection.

butchc 11-28-2018 07:02 AM

The last of the carburetor equipped cars were pretty decent at the start and drive away deal but realize that the fuel mixture requirements were controlled not only by the choke but intake passage temperature, intake air temperature and they also had a bit of electronic engine management. You need a choke and you need a fast idle cam on the carburetor. If you can find one the electric choke Holley is easily dialed in and is a one wire hook up. This gets you started and running when cold but to smooth out the transition from cold to hot the heat riser valve in the exhaust and a dual plane intake with the heat riser passages is a must. Warm intake air is not a must but an addition that really helps smooth the engine when in transition. Remember the tin shroud over the exhaust manifold and the hose going to the air cleaner snorkel? There was a vacuum operated valve that allowed intake air to be either heated or cold depending on engine temps. A vacuum operated choke pull off is another real nice addition to smooth transitions.. The best you can do in cold weather with a carburetor and no electronic engine management is what I will call " livable" but it ill take some tinkering to get there. Good luck.

dmccain 11-28-2018 07:17 AM

Never had issues with my chokeless Holley DPs. I would just pat gas a few times, turn her over then idle it to 1200rpm for a min or two then it was good. Probably helped my Dad is a guru with those things and could tune them blindfolded and we have rather warm weather down here in south Ms.

atikovi 12-03-2018 09:59 PM

Pics of the carb and manifold. Anyone know what they are?

https://www.fototime.com/B814EEE5B14EAA2/large.jpg

https://www.fototime.com/32154991FE460E6/large.jpg