Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   Which Catalytic Converter to buy (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/249589-catalytic-converter-buy.html)

transporter 07-09-2004 09:41 PM

Which Catalytic Converter to buy

I failed emissions testing 5 times. Everyone needs a hobby. Anyway, I had to talk to an EPA offical who after looking at all the failures stated that my 9 month old universal catalytic converter that is welded on and the shop that put it on won't fix is not working. So; if I go for a direct fit converter as suggested by the EPA guy I will have to buy a new Y-pipe. So what would be a good alternative? What would be amother slip on type converter, that will work well with my 92 RS, 305 TBI motor. Thanks for any suggestions. Scott.

DJP87Z28 07-09-2004 09:57 PM

I went with a direct fit Catco Cat. Just make sure you order it for your model year and application.

You learned why universal ones don't always work for everyone.

Jetmeck 07-10-2004 11:41 AM

Do not I repeat do not buy anything else, the universal cat is the way most people go due to the prohibited cost of a direct replacement. Universal or direct fit , same filtering media.

Get a couple cans of this (pass emissions stuff)....help me out Guys ... on the name of the stuff, I know many have used it on this board and it works too. Simply dump it in and go to the testing station.

You might want to look into exactly what wasn't passing, it could be as simple as a tune up....but you definitely have something wrong with your car, if A/F ratio is close and in tune most will pass without a cat.

transporter 07-10-2004 01:01 PM

It failed on hydrocarbons. I did a very complete tune-up on it. I also tried the guarentee to pass (1 bottle), it did lower the HC but still did not pass.

urbanhunter44 07-10-2004 02:17 PM

I always dump in "Clean Power"

transporter 07-10-2004 03:56 PM

Don't think I'v heard of that. Were did you get it and whats it do?

DJP87Z28 07-10-2004 04:52 PM

After my Engine Swap, I passed two E-Check Emission tests in Ohio before moving to Florida. Also note I left all the emission equipent installed and had no problems, in fact the last time they gave it a quick pass check.:D

urbanhunter44 07-10-2004 09:47 PM

Originally posted by transporter
Don't think I'v heard of that. Were did you get it and whats it do?
Kragens or Autozone.

It's an octane booster that makes your engine temperarely run cleaner.

91rsv6 08-26-2004 08:45 PM

I think its called berrymans emissions test something. At autozone

cormyr 08-29-2004 10:11 AM

although it's possible, i would guess it is not your cat causing you to fail. sounds like something is messing with your tuning and the overly rich condition is overcoming your cat's capability burn off the hc's. have you given it a full tuneup? what kind of modifications, if any, have you done to the car?

transporter 08-29-2004 10:56 AM

Guess is doesn't matter now. Lady talking on her cell phone and goes through light and hits drivers side front. Frame bent, sway bar, all suspension and brake on drivers side damaged. I loved that car. :(

cormyr 08-29-2004 07:35 PM

holy crap man thats terrible, my sincere condolences

v8nate92RS 09-01-2004 12:01 AM

That sucks dude, stupid biotch!!!