Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   anyone running SLP 1 3/4" headers with a angle plug heads (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/299639-anyone-running-slp-1-a.html)

BOTTLEDZ28 05-23-2005 07:26 PM

anyone running SLP 1 3/4" headers with a angle plug heads

I have a set of AFR angle plug(not L98 angle) heads and SLP 1 3/4" headers and the plugs are really close to the header tubes. Mainly the 6 and 8 plugs. Does anyone have any tips or solutions to fixing this other then longtubes or the correct heads. I am steering away from longtubes because I have a 6 spd and I am not sure how wel they will fit and all.

AA89GTA 05-25-2005 04:36 AM

I have come across the same problem as you. I have the similar AFR heads, and the SLP 1 3/4 headers do not fit, particularly on the passenger side. I believe I read somewhere on here before that the Edelbrock shortie headers that are made for our cars will fit L98 angle or the other angle that you and I both apparently have. I'm in the middle of a search to confirm this and see what others might fit as well. I'll post back here if I find out more. Please let me know what you find out too!:)
--Aaron

406TPI 05-25-2005 06:35 AM

Those headers just won't work with those heads.....been there, tried it. I ended up getting hooker LT......sucky ground clearance but they will work with a 6-speed.

Lo-tec 05-25-2005 07:12 AM

I'm running angle plug sportsman heads with the SLP 1 3/4's, and it is also tight. I'm using shorty autolite plugs, and # 5 has one of those fiberglass boots on it b/c it's close. On the other side, I had to dimple # 8 a little, but not real bad. They would not even fit if I was using a regular length spark plug.

BTW, have you looked into a shorty plug for this head?

Wayne's 383Iroc 05-25-2005 07:28 AM

TrickFlow's with angle plugs, with the SLP 1 3/4 works out good.

CAH383 05-25-2005 07:34 AM

Get the Hooker Long Tubes they will work and you will make so much more power than with shorties. Get a Mufflex y-pipe or make your own. Shorties fit great but limit power.

AA89GTA 05-25-2005 07:36 AM

Yeah, most people with the same problem seem to go to the Hooker LTs. I don't know for sure though. I've seen conflicting reports. Some say they fit fine, some say there are still issues clearing the plugs. Guess there is one way to find out for sure.

406TPI 05-25-2005 09:45 AM

Originally posted by AA89GTA
Yeah, most people with the same problem seem to go to the Hooker LTs. I don't know for sure though. I've seen conflicting reports. Some say they fit fine, some say there are still issues clearing the plugs. Guess there is one way to find out for sure.
They fit great...plug access is perfect. The only bad thing is the loss of ground clearance.

Clearification....we are talking about AFR standard angle plug (not L98 angle) and hooker LT's. Note, nowhere was any other kind of head manufacturer mentioned in the original post. Just trying to help a fellow out without throwing in other info that can make it confusing.

Also, when I was going through this exact same thing about 5 years ago, I checked into shorty plugs and found they don't make them for this application.:thumbsup:

BOTTLEDZ28 05-25-2005 03:46 PM

Well, I guess I may have to look into the hooker LT headers then. I was kinda worried about the fitment of them with the 6 spd and my lowering springs and my Poly motor mounts. I have no choise but to use the accell shorty plugs. i hate them but regular plugs will NOT even line up with the hole on some of the cylinders.

Whats this Y pipe you are referring to? is it a specific y pipe for us 3rd gen guys w/ a 6 spd? I will have to look around for this thing. Thanks for the replys.

Matt87GTA 05-25-2005 05:11 PM

Yep, been there, wrecked a set of SLPs trying to make them work... There was no way, at all, ever, that they were going to work with my Brodix Track 1s and they are standard angle plug.

I ended up with Hooker LTs and haven't looked back since.....

TPI-Formula350- 05-25-2005 07:40 PM

just wondering if I was going to get a set of after market heads like AFR do they make them in a striaght plug? I'm also running SLP 1 3/4... thanks

BOTTLEDZ28 05-25-2005 07:48 PM

Im pretty sure they maske them in straight. My last set of stock heads had straight plugs and the SLP's fit great with them. I got screwed on these AFR's on ebay. They where listed as L98 angle but apparntly they where just angle and I didnt find out until a few monthes after I bought them.

On a slightly different note, now I have a decision to make. Sell my SLP's shorties to help fund the Hooker LT and Mufflex y pipe fund OR sell my AFR 190's and buy a set of AFR 220's with the L98 or straight angle plug and continue to use my SLP's. I think the 220 route sounds cheaper and FASTER. decisions, decisions. :confused:

Z28ricer 05-25-2005 08:09 PM

This picture should be enough to help you make the correct decision, this is taken from Traxion's longtube install sticky above, I dont know about your car, but the collector being about 3" below the ground effect, haha i'd be without collectors and just have 4 tubes sticking down on each side after a week.

http://www.bescaredracing.com/iroc/e...e/DCP_1113.JPG

406TPI 05-25-2005 08:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You think that picture is bad....check out my car:eek: I scrape on EVERYTHING

AaronIROCZ 05-25-2005 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is what it looks like on my car with the hooker long tubes.

CAH383 05-26-2005 01:17 AM

Love the pics. The real issue with the longtubes is the ground clearance. I have to carefully pic and choose my roads. But I noticed an instant power increase in mid and high rpms. Wouldnt go back. I would keep the heads you got and sell the headers because those other nice heads you want will just get choked off by the shortie headers.

BOTTLEDZ28 05-26-2005 06:44 PM

With a little(or lot) of work, could someone(professional) cut the header tubes and (shorten) them up by an inch or so to gain some ground clearance? Is there a spot on the headers where I could actually just cut the lower part of the header right off and take some material out and then reweld the lower part back on? Does anyone understand what I am talking about here.

406TPI 05-27-2005 07:18 AM

Originally posted by BOTTLEDZr28
With a little(or lot) of work, could someone(professional) cut the header tubes and (shorten) them up by an inch or so to gain some ground clearance? Is there a spot on the headers where I could actually just cut the lower part of the header right off and take some material out and then reweld the lower part back on? Does anyone understand what I am talking about here.
I know exactly what you are saying. I have studied these things for some time now trying to figure out a way to shorten them up. Basically, to do it right, you would have to really cut them up. The reason I say that is because in order to weld all the way around a tube (where you have cut it), you need to have access to it...ie, no other tubes can be in the way. Therefore, the header really needs to come back apart into seperate pieces. I decided it's too much work to justify for me. Eventually when I swap in an LS1 I have to cut them up anyways, so that's when I will also shorten them.:thumbsup: