Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   305 tpi, need loud exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/406431-305-tpi-need-loud.html)

8T9 BANDIT 01-30-2007 02:08 PM

305 tpi, need loud exhaust

i have a stock tpi 5.0, will be adding a supercharger soon, im going to do either slp or edelbrock 1 5/8 headers, and i want a loud great flowing cat back. i like it loud..whats the best?

305q_ta86 01-30-2007 02:11 PM

A flowmaster 40 series is loud as hell?

8T9 BANDIT 01-30-2007 02:13 PM

i want to keep dual outlets.

a mack6 01-30-2007 02:18 PM

depends on price range.

Borla and GMMG will be pretty loud but will cost you a pretty penny (upwards of $600 for each).

Flowmaster's American Thunder Catback is pretty loud and less expensive than those two.

and a magnaflow muffler or dynomax ultra flow muffler hooked to 3 inch piping would be pretty loud...

8T9 BANDIT 01-30-2007 02:32 PM

im also not going to run a cat, anyone familiar with hookers cat backs, i want a loud MUSCLE CAR sound!

Air_Adam 01-30-2007 06:41 PM

Get a Hooker system... its not obnoxious, especially if you still have a lame factory cam and iron manifolds. Headers and a better cam make it louder, but still reasonable. I have one on my Z28. I love the sound, especially with my 350 and XE274 cam.

If you want silly, rediculous, obnoxious LOUD then spend $25 and get a 3" cutout. Have it welded into your exhaust system - closer to the engine, the better - and you can uncork it any time you want. Its LOUD, as its just open exhaust.

TIMMYS89GTA 01-30-2007 07:25 PM

MY VOTE GOES TO MAC PERFORMANCE.EVERYONE HAS HOOKER OR MAGNAFLOW,AND IT ALMOST SEEMS EVERY THIRD GEN HAS OR HAD FLOWMASTER CATBACK.MY 81 Z-28 HAS MAC TRU DUALS 3"FROM HEADERS TO REAR AND SOUNDS LIKE A BIG BLOCK MOTOR ALTHOUGH ITS A 355.I'M DEFINATELY GOING WITH MAC PERFORMANCES CATBACK ON MY 89 WHEN I GET TO THE EXHAUST ON IT.YOU CAN BUY HEADERS AND Y-PIPE TO GO ALONG WITH THEM TO.I WILL LEAVE YOU AT THAT.I JUST LOVE THE MAC PERFORMANCE SOUND!!PLUS ITS DIFFERENT. LET US KNOW WHAT YOU DECIDE TO GO WITH.

Chr1s46536 01-30-2007 09:53 PM

If your choosing just by sound id say go with the american thunder catback. I have that with a set of edelbrock headers and its pretty loud for an LO3

8T9 BANDIT 01-31-2007 08:05 AM

chr1s46536 have a sound clip?

Mongoose 01-31-2007 09:39 AM

I've got edelbrock headers(#6872) with no cat and 3" SLP pipe to a Flowmaster 40 series (430402) and two out the left 2.5" tailpipes with polished stainless steel 3" tips. If you've heard a 5.0 Mustang with 2 chambers you know what mine sounds like, just deeper and maybe a tad louder.

five7kid 01-31-2007 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by 8T9 BANDIT (Post 3208174)
i want a loud MUSCLE CAR sound!

What exactly do you think that is?

Having grown up during that era, I have yet to hear a single-pipe 3rd gen with that sound.

The "rage" during the muscle car era were turbo mufflers and glass packs. Turbo mufflers got their name from the Corvair Spyder, which used a factory muffler that had good flow but was still fairly quiet. The term is still in use today, although few people know the origin. To me, it represents the epitome of the muscle sound. Glass packs were (are) loud, and were (and still are) known for poor flow. Usually run by wannabes. Kind of like Flowmasters.

"Loud" and "muscle car" have about as much to do with each other as "Democrat" and "lower taxes".

8T9 BANDIT 01-31-2007 12:43 PM

berlinettaS suck lol! musle car=loud toyota(not a muscle car)=quiet? i dont think you make much sense five 7 kid. oh and one more thing, i guess a 67 vette with sidepipes wouldnt be? a loud muscle car, maybe???????

luvofjah 01-31-2007 02:09 PM

Add an electric cut out and make it really loud when you want it...

Raf

Zepher 01-31-2007 02:14 PM

I've got a relatively stock 5.0 TPI with Hooker Shorties and Hooker Off-Road Y-pipe and a Borla Catback and it's loud.

Idle a rev up on the driveway
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvp3osWKQ4o

On the Dyno,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rza_u...elated&search=

five7kid 01-31-2007 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 8T9 BANDIT (Post 3209471)
berlinettaS suck lol!

Bring that TA up here, we'll see who's sucks and who laughs last.

musle car=loud toyota(not a muscle car)=quiet?
No, which is exactly my point.

i dont think you make much sense five 7 kid.
Obviously, you don't understand the point.

oh and one more thing, i guess a 67 vette with sidepipes wouldnt be? a loud muscle car, maybe???????
Ever heard a 3rd gen that sounds like a '67 Vette with sidepipes?

rocluvr0013 01-31-2007 08:15 PM

berlinettaS suck lol! musle car=loud toyota(not a muscle car)=quiet? i dont think you make much sense five 7 kid. oh and one more thing, i guess a 67 vette with sidepipes wouldnt be? a loud muscle car, maybe???????

There are lots of different kinds of "loud" and i believe thats what 57 kid is talkin about. For example an rx7 with the cat cut off is LOUD ... but obnoxious as all hell.

91greenbird 01-31-2007 09:03 PM

i got a slp catback with slp headers 1 3/4 and gutted cat its loud but probaly not as loud as you want the borla catback seems it would be the loudest from the pictures i seen one pipe is just straight pipe and the other goes through the muffler.

http://store.summitracing.com/largei...or-14888_w.jpg

Air_Adam 01-31-2007 10:42 PM

berlinettaS suck lol!

If you were talking to Five7... I'd make sure you can back up that statement before you say it.

musle car=loud toyota(not a muscle car)=quiet?

No, it doesn't work like that. Its a quality over quantity thing. I'd MUCH rather have a nice sounding rumble that gives the car some presence, than have a stock 305 with a loud exhaust. That just screams "hey, give me attention! I'm an attention whore!!"

i dont think you make much sense five 7 kid. oh and one more thing, i guess a 67 vette with sidepipes wouldnt be? a loud muscle car, maybe???????

Five7 is making sense just fine, theres no reason to bash him. You asked for opinions on a public message board and thats what you got.

...As for the '67 Corvette with side exhaust. I DO know about those cars. I've driven two of them at the body shop I worked at last year. One was a '66 427 4bbl and the other was a '65 327 fuellie. Both 4-spd cars, both had side exhaust.

The only way to describe those cars is to compare them to a Harley. They do sound great. They sound tough and snarly and say 'I have a big package' like no other factory exhaust system I've heard. For a little while anyway. After about 10 or 15 minutes of driving them, you get really tired of it and annoyed by it, just like 99% of people do with loud bikes. But they use chambered-type mufflers anyway, which is totally different from anything anyone has brought up yet.

I'm never afraid of anything loud that might pull up beside me, at the track or otherwise. Its the quiet cars that you should be afraid of... the quiet cars like my Z28, and Five7s berlinetta. :cool:

1991camcamaro 02-01-2007 12:00 AM

Headers most important

I just purchased a set of DOUGS HEADERS(longtubes), they just came out late last year. i cant seem to get my pictures small enough file size other wise i would post pictures.
but really gooded design headers are going to give you a loud sound.
also i had the custom y pipe made to go stright back no BS turns (like the stock setup)

i had a poor flowing edelbrock header setup before, they also cause a loud raspy... sound at anything above 3000 rpms like a V6....yuck sounding headers dont buy.

now i got full long tubes, custom y-pipe w/thunderbolt cats, and QTP e-cutout, and the Borla exhaust(ls1 with square tips style) FULL 3" form start to finsh. and let me tell you it is LOUD both with the cutout open or closed :welcome:

8T9 BANDIT 02-01-2007 07:45 AM

thanx 1991 camaro, for actually answering my question.
----------

Originally Posted by 1991camcamaro (Post 3210230)
I just purchased a set of DOUGS HEADERS(longtubes), they just came out late last year. i cant seem to get my pictures small enough file size other wise i would post pictures.
but really gooded design headers are going to give you a loud sound.
also i had the custom y pipe made to go stright back no BS turns (like the stock setup)

i had a poor flowing edelbrock header setup before, they also cause a loud raspy... sound at anything above 3000 rpms like a V6....yuck sounding headers dont buy.

now i got full long tubes, custom y-pipe w/thunderbolt cats, and QTP e-cutout, and the Borla exhaust(ls1 with square tips style) FULL 3" form start to finsh. and let me tell you it is LOUD both with the cutout open or closed :welcome:

----------

Originally Posted by five7kid (Post 3209665)
Bring that TA up here, we'll see who's sucks and who laughs last.
No, which is exactly my point.
Obviously, you don't understand the point.
Ever heard a 3rd gen that sounds like a '67 Vette with sidepipes?

i will bring my 89 t/a there. to outclass you, then i will smoke u with my 99 ss that ran an 11:40's consistantlly last summer..

nelapse 02-01-2007 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by 8T9 BANDIT (Post 3210373)
----------

----------

i will bring my 89 t/a there. to outclass you, then i will smoke u with my 99 ss that ran an 11:40's consistantlly last summer..

How about we act like adults?

IROCThe5.7L 02-01-2007 12:11 PM

What makes 90% of the muscle car sound is the engine, not the exhaust in my opinion. If you have a real muscle car, flowmaster or any kind of exhaust is going to give you the sound you are lookin for.

Large engine + high compression + true duals > Mild 305-350 with true duals or a catback setup.

8T9 BANDIT 02-01-2007 12:22 PM

IROC5.7 I CHECKED OUT UR PAGE, YOURE CAR IS AWESOME, IT LOOKS IMMACULATE. EVERY THIRD GEN SHOULD LOOK THAT GOOD. WHO DID THE TPI POLISHING?

IROCThe5.7L 02-01-2007 12:53 PM

Thanks, I did all the polishing myself. The only work I have done to the car I didn't do myself was the shift kit install.

8T9 BANDIT 02-02-2007 11:14 AM

how exaclly did u do the polishing?