Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   Exhaust manifold studs (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/527952-exhaust-manifold-studs.html)

84redta 05-28-2009 08:45 PM

Exhaust manifold studs

Hello, my exhaust has been loud since i've gotten my car, and I always dismissed it as rotted y-pipe. Well I got under it today, and notice that my coupler bracket is merely bad, which is leaving everything really loose, and sounding like a boat to some, LOL. Anyways, I got the "universal coupler bracket," and went to remove the two nuts holding the y to the manifolds, and snapped one, and the other is pretty much gone. Taking the exhaust manifold off really isn't an option as I do not want to break bolts off in the block at this point. I have about the worst luck in the bolt department, if the are six to take out, five will come smoothly, and the last one will snap off. So at this point, I would like to hammer them out, but everyone is talking about a puller, of which there doesn't seem to be much on the other end to exactly pull. Anyone that has found an alternative to taking the exhaust manifold off, please let me know asap. My ten-day is up Monday, and I'm really just trying to get her inspected. Thanks!

Jon

84redta 05-29-2009 08:33 AM

Re: Exhaust manifold studs

Double Post.

84redta 05-29-2009 08:35 AM

Are they press in studs? Screw in studs? Anyone!? I've done the research and it doesn't seem as though many have had to replace these studs, either that or they are going ahead and replacing the exhaust manifolds anyways. This is for the exhaust manifold to y-pipe studs on an '88 TBI motor.

I don't see me taking it to an exhaust shop and them taking half the engine apart to replace two studs. There has to be an alternative... Thanks for any insight.

Jon

8urv8 05-29-2009 08:38 AM

can you not cut the studs off flush with the part and then just drilll the studs out and re-tap the holes?

bubbatwo0_0 05-29-2009 08:40 AM

Theres no alternative, Pulling the exhaust manifold off isnt a big deal. Just take it off and take it to a machine shop and get new studs installed. Dont worry ive never broke a manifold bolt off in the head a small block chevy.

84redta 05-29-2009 08:49 AM

There is no room up there to maneuver that easily, i might be able to, and thats what i pretty much wanted to do. I gotta see if i can get a drill to sit straight up there, because no matter if i can flush off the studs, if i can't get a drill up there i'm screwed either way. Otherwise i guess i will have to take the exhaust manifold off. Is this from the top or the bottom Bubba? Reading the service manual, i don't want to break my A/C system open. And once it's removed, it comes up right? I'm starting my praying right now that nothing breaks off.

Alright, second question, why go back to studs??? WOuldn't it be easier in the future when the studs rot again to just be able to remove the nut and hammer whats left out? Just my thought. Insight and experiences are good for me right now. Thanks!

84redta 05-29-2009 08:55 AM

And another thing, if i go to try and remove the passenger side exhaust manifold, i'm probably going to have to drop the y-pipe, which the bolts on the driver side aren't that pretty either, and are probably going to get screwed up as well, so i don't want an entire night mare inwhich i should have just pulled the entire engine to replace two studs. Please tell me after moving all the enviromental crap up top that i can pull the exhaust manifold up once unbolted?! Now i'm getting all worried about this all over again.

TPeye 05-29-2009 02:22 PM

The manifold will come out from the top, but it is a pain. You don't need to disconnect the AC, if anything, take off the belt, unbolt the compressor and push it out of the way. The studs are screwed in to the manifold.

84redta 05-29-2009 06:50 PM

Thank you sir, and thank above! Got it all back together nice and tight. Thanks again!

Jon