Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   tucking the exhaust? (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/627545-tucking-exhaust.html)

itsMikey 09-11-2011 10:42 PM

tucking the exhaust?

2 Attachment(s)
getting tired of slamming my exhaust on speed bumps and having to tighten the header bolts because of it..the other day i smashed the center part of my exhaust and separated it and now my car sounds like a damn tractor -__- pretty much no muffler at this point and im annoyed with it..

SO...is there room under there to tuck a 3" exhaust up a little higher?

reference pics:
Attachment 384824

Attachment 384825

itsMikey 09-12-2011 11:41 PM

Re: tucking the exhaust?

??

gta_knight 09-13-2011 08:07 AM

maybe a few mm, but then it might bash into the floor pan instead ?

i live in the UK and our roads here are shockingly bad, with speed bumps everywhere, i slow right down for them and my car has been fine, even more so now that ive just had a new custom exhaust fitted !

there is one road near where i live where the bumps are really bad, i went down it once thinking id be ok and as i came off a speed bump i heard a loud clang followed by a scraping noise, left a nice big mark on the back box, that was the old stock system though.

im just looking at your specs and i see your car has got lowering springs on, my car is stock height so that might be why its ok for now, i did want to put some 1" eibachs on it at some point just to reduce the wheel arch gaps

mw66nova 09-13-2011 08:34 AM

um, maybe a bit more moderate lowering job? or get the cutoff wheel and welder out and re do the floor...(what i'll be doing)

itsMikey 09-13-2011 10:01 AM

not raising the car :lol: but i dont wanna cut the car up for that..oh well..ill live with it :)

DBLTKE 09-13-2011 11:17 PM

There is definitely room to tuck the exhaust better. Even the stock exhaust has about 1.5" of space between the floorpan and exhaust. Maybe you just need to change your driving style? My cars lowered over 3.5" and I can still get over most speed bumps without scraping a thing.

Carlos773 09-14-2011 12:13 AM

I see no better tuck job with shorties. Apparently Dyno Dons Shorties tuck up more nicely. Other option is Hedman Longtubes with a custom Y pipe and some crossmember cutting.

lonesomeloser 09-14-2011 11:22 AM

How much room is there to tuck? Don't you have SFC's?

itsMikey 09-16-2011 01:02 AM

yeah i do..its not the exhaust that hits though..its the stupid flange that connects the part that goes over the rear to the part that goes to the cats..

itsMikey 09-16-2011 01:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this part..it hits and fcks everything up..lol..loosens my header bolts..seperates and tractorizes..:lol: ugh

car was jacked up in this pic

Attachment 384479

88TransAmGuy 09-16-2011 06:11 AM

Mikey,im having the same problem haha. I know you people hate raising the cars but damn,its better to get crap for it then having your exhaust break apart! :P
Im gonna try tucking mine like 8 mm and maybe raising my rear end 1 or 2 inches,and ill put bigger tires on it so it doesnt look as bad

lonesomeloser 09-16-2011 11:28 AM

Maybe a muffler shop would be able to cut that section out and weld in a smooth piece?

itsMikey 09-16-2011 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by dylanjessy (Post 5041571)
Mikey,im having the same problem haha. I know you people hate raising the cars but damn,its better to get crap for it then having your exhaust break apart! :P
Im gonna try tucking mine like 8 mm and maybe raising my rear end 1 or 2 inches,and ill put bigger tires on it so it doesnt look as bad

NEVAARRRRRR :lol: dont wanna raise it..it still needs to go lower IMO

Originally Posted by lonesomeloser (Post 5041749)
Maybe a muffler shop would be able to cut that section out and weld in a smooth piece?

thats what i was thinking :huh:

88TransAmGuy 09-16-2011 07:00 PM

[quote=itsMikey;5041753]NEVAARRRRRR :lol: dont wanna raise it..it still needs to go lower IMO

no no NOO!!! ITS GOING TO BE LIFTED 8 INCHES! Micky Tompson tires HERE WE COME

itsMikey 09-16-2011 09:16 PM

hell yes!! MUD TIME :lol:

88TransAmGuy 09-16-2011 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by itsMikey (Post 5042125)
hell yes!! MUD TIME :lol:

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Carlos773 09-17-2011 12:31 AM

Is that a 3 bolt flange? Why not swap it out for a Ball and Socket connection? instead of the triangle it will just be <> and give a slight clearance. That or just pipe it closed and move the separator at the muffler. Similar to what Hookers Aerochamber has to make it easy to drop the exhaust.

itsMikey 09-17-2011 08:29 PM

possibly ^^

trocustoms 09-18-2011 08:11 AM

I installed hooker shortys and y pipe. Didnt like how low it was so i took the cut off wheel and sliced the y pipe 3/4 of the way around, then used a jack and jacked up the exhaust and welded the y pipe back up.

Gained 1 1/2" to 2" of clearance. Mine rubbed in the same spot as yours. Havent rubbed since. Good luck

itsMikey 09-19-2011 01:22 AM

interesting..taking it to an exhaust shop tomorrow to see whats up.

NufNuffZ28 09-19-2011 12:17 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Band-...item5d2be03fc3

I would cvut the pip there and use one of these. I have them on our SS and one actually covers a 1/2" GAP and no leaks whatsoever....

itsMikey 09-23-2011 01:23 AM

so i got under the car today after tightening up the part that seperated and it was still loud hmmmm...

theres a hole in the actual pipe right before the cat -__- size of a half dollar..ugh..:lol:

i guess...."Low is a lifestyle." :D