Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   Not happy with exhaust sound (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/707856-not-happy-exhaust-sound.html)

Chiknhawk 09-01-2014 06:31 AM

Not happy with exhaust sound

I just installed a complete new exhaust system. Flowtech headers and y pipe, American thunder flowmaster system and no cat. Engine is a 91 5.0 TPI with smog delete. I do not like this sound at all. Should I give it a little time before I decide to change it out. Sounds like all the other trucks in my neighborhood, lol

TTOP350 09-01-2014 06:57 AM

Re: Not happy with exhaust sound

Yup, welcome to flowmaster.
I like magnaflow, dynomax and my favorite SLP totl if you can find one

alright 09-01-2014 10:17 AM

I dislike my flowmaster cat-back exhaust too. Looking to sell it on craigslist or something so i can put on magnaflow or borla.

sounds hollow, right? mine might be a bit different because its only cat-back though.

dixie wrecked 09-01-2014 11:22 AM

Don't get glass packs either. running true dual stacks with one one pack per side, sounds like a pissed off Harley under 1300 rpm

midias 09-01-2014 12:13 PM

Never liked the sound or performance of the flowtek crap. Also not a fan of the american thunder sound. But let it break in a bit see how it goes. Worst thing you end up doing is swapping the muffler.

rusty vango 09-01-2014 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Chiknhawk (Post 5813122)
I just installed a complete new exhaust system. Flowtech headers and y pipe, American thunder flowmaster system and no cat. Engine is a 91 5.0 TPI with smog delete. I do not like this sound at all. Should I give it a little time before I decide to change it out. Sounds like all the other trucks in my neighborhood, lol

flowmaster sucks balls. if you want a nice mellow sound , magnaflow #12267 muffler is hard to beat.

formula forever 09-01-2014 02:54 PM

Change out your catback to a borla or gmmg exhaust. if your on a budget go with the hooker catback.

David 91RS/Z28 09-04-2014 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Chiknhawk (Post 5813122)

That's because every truck on the road runs those crappy flowmasters... If I were you I would change just the muffler to a Hooker Aerochamber. There should be one of very similar size/config to swap out the FM. IMO, it's one of the best flowing mufflers with a good clean deep sound. Or Magnaflow as well but they are more expensive.

RedLeader289 09-04-2014 11:09 AM

I'm personally a fan of Thrush mufflers, particularly the turbo and welded. Good sound, and next to no restriction.