Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Exhaust (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/)
-   -   Flowmaster Flow FX vs... (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/exhaust/777985-flowmaster-flow-fx-vs.html)

83 Crossfire TA 09-10-2021 12:34 AM

Flowmaster Flow FX vs...

Has anyone run the Flowmaster Flow FX muffler(s)? What was your experience with them? How do they sound? Unfortunately, the reviews on Summit's site are inconclusive, some list them as quiet, others compare them to gorilla's banging on trash cans.

My Dynomax Ultraflow Welded after 25 or so years and 3 cars has finally started rotting out to the point that it's time to replace it, and I'm looking at a few of the newer, cheaper 409 stainless but otherwise similar designs out there. I'm looking for straight through and QUIET. The dynomax ultraflow was stock quiet, maybe quieter, I'm looking for something similar with a stainless case. The ultraflow stainless is slightly louder and higher pitched, the Magnaflow is a step up from there, and the Hooker max flow (not stainless) sounds similar to the Ultraflow welded but slightly louder. I have not heard/seen the newer ones like the Flow FX and the Jones mufflers.

dmccain 09-10-2021 07:45 AM

Re: Flowmaster Flow FX vs...

Local kid with a Berlinetta 383 crate motor swap has the Flowmaster Flow FX. His is one entrance two exits on same side so he has his with the 2 outlets on the drivers side. Reminiscent of the old Banks system IIRC. While I don't like the outlet setup he has the exhaust does sound very good. Deeper and more powerful sound than Magnaflow at idle and powerful sounding a lot like the Magnaflow under throttle.

83 Crossfire TA 09-10-2021 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by dmccain (Post 6440710)
Local kid with a Berlinetta 383 crate motor swap has the Flowmaster Flow FX. His is one entrance two exits on same side so he has his with the 2 outlets on the drivers side. Reminiscent of the old Banks system IIRC. While I don't like the outlet setup he has the exhaust does sound very good. Deeper and more powerful sound than Magnaflow at idle and powerful sounding a lot like the Magnaflow under throttle.

Deeper is good, but by "more powerful" do you mean louder?

Like I said I'm trying to keep it quiet (I have a cutout that I will open partially or the whole way when I want to get rowdy)

dmccain 09-10-2021 03:05 PM

Under throttle its very loud. Idle sounds good not anything out of ordinary

83 Crossfire TA 09-13-2021 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by dmccain (Post 6440743)
Under throttle its very loud. Idle sounds good not anything out of ordinary

Yea, not really what I'm looking for... looking for something quiet.

Right now my top contenders are to get another Dynomax Ultraflow Welded or a Hooker Aerochamber.

dmccain 09-13-2021 03:07 PM

I like that Dynomax Ulltraflow one of the best out there Ive heard. Im not a fan of the Hooker Aerochamber

86blackiroc 11-01-2021 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by 83 Crossfire TA (Post 6441047)
Yea, not really what I'm looking for... looking for something quiet.

Right now my top contenders are to get another Dynomax Ultraflow Welded or a Hooker Aerochamber.

Fwiw, I love the sound of the Hooker Aerochamber because they are somewhere in between a 40 series Flowmaster and a standard type Magnaflow. If the goal is quiet, you won't like an Aerochamber.

Not long ago, I tried a pair of the Magnaflow type Jones mufflers on my 454 truck. I wound up removing them for something else because they just sounded too dang "stock". You may want to try Jones, or just stick with the Dynomax Welded that you already know.

NoEmissions84TA 11-01-2021 06:52 PM

A member on another forum I am on recommends the Walker Super Dynomax Oval Rectangular case muffler.
It flows and is quiet.