Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Fabrication (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/)
-   -   forced fab idea (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/223778-forced-fab-idea.html)

GreyFox 02-14-2004 06:48 PM

forced fab idea

here is an idea i have been throwing around for 2 yrs now and i want SOLID opinions, superchargers as i understand them and turbos, both create an aux air supply only at a higher rate, so here is my question, what about the air/smog pump, you think it would be possible to route the hose in my induction line, and if so what mods would you have to take into consideration such as a blow off valve because the way it looks is it creates air (maybe not as high as a charger) but it does, or maybe not re-route but add another with the aid of a belt and some pulleys, let me know what ya think, like i said i have been thinking about this for a while now, and would like some solid advice from people who know what the **** they are talking about, i'm not an amateaur mechanic, but i'm no one man pit crew

85TransAm406 02-14-2004 06:51 PM

It won't flow enough CFM to increase the pressure ratio in your induction system. I've seen people use them on 5HP briggs and stratton engines as a blower though.

ede 02-15-2004 07:30 AM

i've read about a smog pump being used for a small engien, like 5hp briggs. they don't put out very much so it'd be very limited on what it'd be able to feed

MYBLUZ 02-16-2004 12:15 PM

What about putting a small air compressor in the trunk and plumbing it into the induction system. I got the idea one night outside the shop we had a burn barrel going. I wanted to see what compressed air would do to a fire. Guess what, it stokes a fire just as well as gas....

85TransAm406 02-16-2004 10:00 PM

A compressor won't produce enough CFM for the engine. plenty of pressure through a 1/4" hose, not through a 3" intake tube.

flyboy367 02-18-2004 11:36 AM

the concept is good, but in my understanding the belt for the air pump is turned by the crank, the superchargers turn with the crank and the pully size determines the amount of boost. at least thats how it is on my gtp. turbos dont use belts at all. but most of the good ones are intercooled. either way uses a specified fuel management system weather a well tuned carb, or a pcm. since i started working on efi cars i swore off carbs, you can achive more power and better economy with a computer and its much easier to tune. plus i find that the best turbo cars have inline engines. that means the exhaust is only flowing thru one header and is balanced. with the exception of the GN. i would say easiest way to add hp to a na motor is get a holly 144 powercharger and an accel tbi setup. for around $3000. you can bolt it to you stock motor for better fuel economy than you have now. better reliability and cold start. plus an aditional 150 hp. build a motor specific to that and you easily push 400hp and 18mpg. i run 13lbs of boost in my gtp with a 3.4 pulley. for 309hp from the wheels. i get aprox 21mpg with a few simple mods and run 13.6 in a four door family car
hope this helped a little i know i went a little off in areas

Project: 85 2.8 bird 02-19-2004 08:30 PM

convert the smog pump to a vacuum pump.

GreyFox 02-21-2004 10:08 PM

explain what that would do?

383backinblack 02-24-2004 10:39 PM

roots, screw, centrifugal superchargers and turbos were all developed for use on engines, because none of those methods (smog pumps, normal air compressors etc) can pump enough volume of air to support a powerful engine

bnoon 02-25-2004 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Project: 85 2.8 bird
convert the smog pump to a vacuum pump.

Originally posted by GreyFox
explain what that would do?
Vacuum pumps work like a bigger PCV system and eliminate the high pressure build up inside the crankcase at high RPM. I've seen 15-30 HP come out of a 500 horse V8 at 4,500-6,000 RPM with the addition of the vacuum pump.

383backinblack 02-25-2004 03:59 PM

Originally posted by bnoon
Vacuum pumps work like a bigger PCV system and eliminate the high pressure build up inside the crankcase at high RPM. I've seen 15-30 HP come out of a 500 horse V8 at 4,500-6,000 RPM with the addition of the vacuum pump.

probably beacause of the better ring seal

GreyFox 02-26-2004 06:31 PM

i am greatful for any gain in hp how would i go about doing that with my pump?

SSC 02-26-2004 07:15 PM

Anyone got any links to those smog supercharged briggs engines? Ive got a fresh one that needs blown--up;) cant wait to trash this new titanium oil dipper.