Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Third Generation F-Body Message Boards (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/)
-   Fabrication (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/)
-   -   Third Gen Firebird Custom Autometer Dash(For Sale too!) (https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabrication/683699-third-gen-firebird-custom.html)

fitztool 06-28-2013 10:05 AM

Third Gen Firebird Custom Autometer Dash(For Sale too!)

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,

I was trying to figure out a gauge solution for my car. Didnt like the idea of mounting smaller gauges in the factory Pontiac gauge holes. Dont like the A Pillar setup(I think it looks to importish). So, I made my own overlay. It will hold 3 3/8 Speedo and Tach, and 9 other 2 1/16 Gauges. It also has provisions for L plus R turn, and a High Beam Indicator. Its made from a textured plastic that matches the factory as best I could find. It installs with #4 Black Chrome screws. There will be some for sale in the classifieds as well, if anyone is interested in purchasing one.

Mark

Attachment 461893

Attachment 461894'

JeremyNYR 06-28-2013 07:55 PM

Re: Third Gen Firebird Custom Autometer Dash(For Sale too!)

Nice work! I think it'd look even more slick if you used epoxy instead of screws and then repainted the entire trim piece so it blends in more. Interestingly enough, your design reminds me of a factory base model trim piece I saw in a junkyard once where there was the speedo and tach, and the other two large circles were replaced by 2 rows of smaller circles containing dummy lights. I don't remember if there were 4, 6 or 8 of them though.

blacksunshine'91 06-29-2013 03:10 PM

Looks nice. Would it fit the '91-92 dashes as well? Just curious, you have nine spots for smaller gauges. What gauges do you plan on filling those with?

fitztool 07-01-2013 08:15 PM

Not sure if it will fit 91-92 offhand. I will check sometime in the next couple weeks.

As far as for gauges,

3 3/8 speedo
3 3/8 tach
fuel level
oil pressure
coolant temp
trans temp
diff temp
fuel pressure(Going to be a e-85 car sometime)
volts
air/fuel
NOS

myroc86 07-09-2013 10:04 PM

Awesome work! Did you do that in a cnc?

blacksunshine'91 07-09-2013 10:57 PM

What are you asking for it? I don't see anything in the classifieds.

fitztool 07-11-2013 04:50 PM

Jeremy- I have seen this dash piece you speak of. It looks horrible. It had not 6, not 8, but 12 idiot lights in small circles.

myroc- No CNC. Drew up a few versions on graph paper, transferred it to a poly template, then to the plastic material, and built the prototype. Good old fashioned elbow grease. American Made part too!

blacksunshine- Just got 3 more done today. Was busy with my real job. I plan to post them for sale tonight. I have to find a box that I can ship these in that is not oversize.

If anyone is intersted feel free to PM me!

fozzi58 07-12-2013 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by fitztool (Post 5598230)
Jeremy- I have seen this dash piece you speak of. It looks horrible. It had not 6, not 8, but 12 idiot lights in small circles.

LMAO! I had that dash in my 87 v6 bird. God damn that was ugly. Speedo and Fuel guage....and a bunch of idiot lights. I hope I never see one again.

Thanks for the memory laugh.

seanof30306 12-15-2014 02:46 AM

That's really cool. Have you thought of doing them with less gauge holes?

Tibo 01-06-2015 07:27 PM

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...order-led.html

This guy used Speedhut gauges in the factory mounting holes. It came out looking great. Unfortunately the pics no longer show but if someone PM'd him I sure he could post a pic.

customblackbird 01-07-2015 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks good! Do you have to hack up all the supporting plastic to make room for all the gauges?

I stuffed aftermarket 5" Stewart Warner Maximum performance guages in my stock 87 formula gauge panel (speedo and tach) the other gauges are stock. But I made a panel insert for the middle AC/heating vent, Apillar and radio/heater delete panel. Doesn't look like this anymore (in the pic) as its gone through another transformation but most of the gauges are the same.
Attachment 329296

Tibo 01-08-2015 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by customblackbird (Post 5862715)
Looks good! Do you have to hack up all the supporting plastic to make room for all the gauges?

I stuffed aftermarket 5" Stewart Warner Maximum performance guages in my stock 87 formula gauge panel (speedo and tach) the other gauges are stock. But I made a panel insert for the middle AC/heating vent, Apillar and radio/heater delete panel. Doesn't look like this anymore (in the pic) as its gone through another transformation but most of the gauges are the same.
http://i1284.photobucket.com/albums/...ps93a995b9.jpg

just a question, what gauges do you have? It looks like you have quite a few.

customblackbird 01-08-2015 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo (Post 5862867)
just a question, what gauges do you have? It looks like you have quite a few.

Brand? Stewart warner maximum performance. Better quality than autometers to me and offer through the dial lighting, plus made in the USA.

2 in the cowl are fuel pressure 2 5/8" for carb pressures and NOS fuel system psi. Inside are 5" electric speedo that's programable, 5" 8K tach. On the Apiller I have top to bottom, innovate WB02, mechanical oil pressure, coolant temp. In the AC vent I have trans temp and voltage. In the heater control panel I have electric oil pressure (at a different point in the motor) and vacuum gauge. All the OEM gauges work except oil pressure as I wanted more accurate gauges... and that's why I have so many lol. The 2 on the cowl are off now as I swapped to the FAST EZ EFI 2.0 so I need a 60-100 psi gauge. But I get fuel.pressure and IAT etc on my electric Fast display which goes on the windshield.

customblackbird 03-17-2015 06:51 PM

OP!!! PM sent… looking for a custom gauge panel please!!

WTR388 04-12-2015 09:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Tibo (Post 5862197)
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/afte...order-led.html

This guy used Speedhut gauges in the factory mounting holes. It came out looking great. Unfortunately the pics no longer show but if someone PM'd him I sure he could post a pic.

I mounted my speedhuts in the factory location as well:
Attachment 326935

Attachment 326936
Attachment 326937

I'm kind of wishing I did something similar to what the OP did, only making it more '77 T/A style since I'm sort of doing my version of a 3rd gen Bandit.

customblackbird 04-12-2015 09:27 PM

What size gauges did you use?

OUTLAW_IROC 04-19-2015 07:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Love my SpeedHut gauges. I used a 1/4" sheet of abs and wrapped with some carbon fiber material.

Attachment 326799

fitztool 01-02-2016 03:22 PM

Hey Guys,

Sorry I've been away from the site for awhile. Car's been in storage, other projects took priority. I do still have 3 of these panels for sale. I never got around to getting them in the classifieds. I feel they are worth $50 a piece shipped. If anyone is interested let me know.

I am not sure how they will fit around the dash supports behind the gauge bezel, have yet to fit the panel in my 86.

fvanhook 05-31-2018 08:25 PM

Have you sold any of your clusters? Any photos of them installed?

RMK 07-22-2018 03:22 PM

Hi Outlaw_iroc,

What did you do for full beam, turn signal lights etc on your Cameroon cluster?